Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Converting Wheels to Tubeless?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-21, 03:45 PM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I have a Nature Boy All City 2015. One of my rear wheels has a Weinnman LP 18 rim. The stock wheels (front and rear) have Alex XC23 rims. I don't think that either rim is advertised as tubeless ready. Could the wheels be converted to tubeless. If so, how would converting a clincher wheel to tubeless be different than converting a tubeless ready wheel to tubeless? I use the bike for cyclocross so it has and will continue to have cyclocross tires. If the wheels can't be converted to tubeless, do you know of any fix/free wheels that are tubeless or tubeless ready and would be suitable for cyclocross? Thanks
Old 10-25-21, 05:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It is possible to convert non-tubeless-ready wheels to tubeless for cyclocross. I've done it a few times and some rim/tire combinations work better than others. You need a tubeless tire for sure. Make sure to tape the rim bed really well. You may need an additional layer or two of gorilla tape to build up the rim bed. Also, Skinny Strippers really help with the seal, although they don't work with all rim/tire combinations.
Old 10-25-21, 06:05 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney
I have a Nature Boy All City 2015. One of my rear wheels has a Weinnman LP 18 rim. The stock wheels (front and rear) have Alex XC23 rims. I don't think that either rim is advertised as tubeless ready. Could the wheels be converted to tubeless. If so, how would converting a clincher wheel to tubeless be different than converting a tubeless ready wheel to tubeless? I use the bike for cyclocross so it has and will continue to have cyclocross tires. If the wheels can't be converted to tubeless, do you know of any fix/free wheels that are tubeless or tubeless ready and would be suitable for cyclocross? Thanks
Tubeless rim brake fixie wheels are rare, I think, but you can get them built by prowheelbuilder.com

I got some wheels that I spec'ed out and they built and I think it's pretty good value. Their online wheel builder tool is really nice - as you pick your parts it tells you the price and the weight of the wheels you're spec'ing. Keep an eye on the availability of the parts your selecting if you want the wheels in a timely fashion - I didn't pay attention to that and had to wait months for my wheels (not prowheelbuilder.com fault - they had to wait for the parts I spec'ed - Covid bike supply delays).

For CX rim brake tubeless rims I'd go with Velocity Quills or Velocity A23s. There's also some DT Swiss rims that are tubeless and rim brake.

Last edited by tyrion; 10-25-21 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-25-21, 10:07 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
My experience is that in the era of great tubeless compatible rims, for CX in particular it's not worth messing with conversions of non compatible rims. The one time I tried ages ago my tire dismounted mid race causing me to crash and have to run the rest of the lap to finish DFL.

130mm fix/free rim brake is a pretty rare spec, but any decent wheel builder should be able to build you something reasonable. You can either have your existing wheels unlaced and rebuilt with new rims, or there are some good options in 130 fixed/free including All City Hubs and Surly Ultra New hubs. You can also use a cup/cone track hub if you replace the axle with a longer one and add spacers. Any wider tubeless compatible road rim is reasonable for CX. Still, this would cost in the region of $300 at a minimum.
Likes For cpach:
Old 10-27-21, 03:55 AM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Tubeless rim brake fixie wheels are rare, I think, but you can get them built by prowheelbuilder.com

I got some wheels that I spec'ed out and they built and I think it's pretty good value. Their online wheel builder tool is really nice - as you pick your parts it tells you the price and the weight of the wheels you're spec'ing. Keep an eye on the availability of the parts your selecting if you want the wheels in a timely fashion - I didn't pay attention to that and had to wait months for my wheels (not prowheelbuilder.com fault - they had to wait for the parts I spec'ed - Covid bike supply delays).

For CX rim brake tubeless rims I'd go with Velocity Quills or Velocity A23s. There's also some DT Swiss rims that are tubeless and rim brake.
Thanks for the info. I bought this wheelset which is tubeless ready, rim brake compatible, and suitable for cyclocross: https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=4217
Likes For AMoney:
Old 10-28-21, 02:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney
Thanks for the info. I bought this wheelset which is tubeless ready, rim brake compatible, and suitable for cyclocross: https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=4217
That looks like the ticket!
Old 10-29-21, 08:07 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
That looks pretty great, actually, and a pretty reasonable price. My personal wheels on my SS/FG CX bike are on A23s--they've always seated tubeless well and have had great bead retention.