Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another good year...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Another good year...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-21, 11:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
Great group of supportive guys (gals?) here. Amazing achievements by a dedicated group that just keeps going. The maturity on this particular board really shows and its a pleasure to hang with the group.

So far this year, I’ve managed 3,500 miles and climbed 165,000’. Even though the sport can get uncomfortable at times, I still love it. Cheers to all.

Old 11-02-21, 09:31 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
So I picked up this bike about 11 months ago to replace my Trek 800 Antelope which I bought new back in 94 but ran it into the ground so sold it for the frame. This Peugeot was a good deal (and its a Peugeot! ) and in near mint condition but felt a little small for me. I added the rear rack, picked up some saddle bags and added the adjustable stem, and riser handlebar for a comfortable ride to pick up groceries. I really want a slick gravel conversion bike though and trying to figure out how I could turn this into one.

Sweet bike! Obviously I have a thing for old steel frames. My most recent acquisition is the 1995 (I think) Specialized Rockhopper. In pristine condition, I bought it and a Thule 4-bike carrier for $75. Didn't "need" another old rigid mountain bike in addition to the 1987 Diamondback, but price and condition trumped my better judgement. Good luck with your planned transformation.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 11-04-21, 05:03 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Still Going

Congratulations to all. As others haved said, when temps drop choice of clothing and sometimes distance change. I am on pace to exceed 10,000 miles this year. Currently at 9,200, so feel confident. At 71 and being retired, plus living in Central Indiana, I can ride year around and have my choice of the best time to ride each day. Enjoy your successes and have a happy new year.
Old 11-05-21, 07:57 AM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
Easy to ride year round here in central Fl. 68 and retired. 9,000 miles, mostly street, but a little single track trail, too.
Old 11-05-21, 09:45 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
For me, it'll be another good season as I change bikes.
Old 11-05-21, 09:14 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 440 Posts
Started riding again during the pandemic. Figured I may not get another chance! Kept going through the winter, and will do so again. This year I restored my old racing bike and started riding it, too. These are the good old days...
Old 11-08-21, 12:00 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
So I picked up this bike about 11 months ago to replace my Trek 800 Antelope which I bought new back in 94 but ran it into the ground so sold it for the frame. This Peugeot was a good deal (and its a Peugeot! ) and in near mint condition but felt a little small for me. I added the rear rack, picked up some saddle bags and added the adjustable stem, and riser handlebar for a comfortable ride to pick up groceries. I really want a slick gravel conversion bike though and trying to figure out how I could turn this into one.

What model/year is your Peugeot? Some friends gave me an old Peugeot Appalaches to rehab for my partner to use to see if she takes to cycling. There seems to be very little information out there on it. Seems like a lower/mid-level touring bike, with a similar looking frame, geometry-wise, to yours.
Old 11-08-21, 12:15 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
It was a great year for me, cycling-wise. Bought a vintage Cannondale touring bike late spring to get back into 'serious' biking after a few decades of little more than utility riding. Closing in on 2k mi since then, having a great time riding and a lot of fun tinkering/customizing/etc as well. Hoped to complete a century this fall, but just ended up not having a weekend with a full, free day to do it. Going to keep going until the Upstate NY winter really gets harsh (only possible through the miracle of science, ie chemical toe warmers!).