Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Almost Taken-out Today by Mercedes SUV

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-21, 10:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Looks like somebody had their feelings hurt
Some sensitive posters are looking for BF to be a support group for members who share their version of "correct" group think. Any post or poster that expresses a viewpoint that differs, let alone disagrees, is considered by the super sensitive members to be a troll/insult or the output of a troll who should be outed as such.

Boasting about ignoring posts and posters with different opinions, and advising others to do the same, seems to be an effort to enforce the "correct" version of group think and keep super sensitive feelings from being hurt by opposing viewpoints.
Old 11-15-21, 10:41 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Dont blame the car or the truck, put the blame where it belongs ----------------------- on the driver.
Old 11-15-21, 10:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Dont blame the car or the truck, put the blame where it belongs ----------------------- on the driver.
Oh, I think he's spread the love around pretty well. Woman driver, fancy car, fancy coffee and (wait for it) long driveway which I guess is meant to be a sign of a fancy home. SMH
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-15-21, 12:34 PM
StanJF

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL3, Koba MTB, Zieleman Type Special criterium bike, Gitane Pro track bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So sorry about that, your experience is one reason why I now avoid riding on the roads with cars. Already two bicyclists have been killed in the past 3 years not far from my home on the main road. Fortunately we have 100's of miles of bicycle/pedestrian-only paved roads in my region so I stick to those for the most part. Otherwise I'd head out to the country-side.
Old 11-15-21, 12:49 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by StanJF
So sorry about that, your experience is one reason why I now avoid riding on the roads with cars. Already two bicyclists have been killed in the past 3 years not far from my home on the main road. Fortunately we have 100's of miles of bicycle/pedestrian-only paved roads in my region so I stick to those for the most part. Otherwise I'd head out to the country-side.
Totally agree: I now try to actively seek out either less vehicle-travelled roads or gravel roads with no vehicles. It's dangerous to ride on roads with cars - the drivers are more distracted than ever.
Old 11-15-21, 12:57 PM
jpdemers

Bikes: '78 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, on nicer wheels.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I love the drivers who, as in this case, stop in front of you while trying to decide what to do. You know: the thing you really DON'T want them to do.
Old 11-15-21, 04:14 PM
Lawrence Rhodes

Bikes: Steintrike Explorer. Trek full suspension Mountain bike. Trek FuelX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rsbob
Was descending a mile long hill but keeping my speed down to 25 MPH because the roads were wet. To my horror, coming from the opposite direction was a white SUV with turn signal on starting to cross right in front of me and then stops mid-lane giving me no options. Don’t if she didn’t see me in my bright orange-red jacket or what. I am full on the brakes knowing there is no way I can stop fast enough not to impact her. At the last second she came to her senses and gunned it forward. Just missed her by a second. Shouted a few choice words, but she was still accelerating up her long driveway. Hope she dropped her mobile phone in her latte.
I used to try to think of myself as invisible and look way ahead. Since switching to recumbent I have found that newly developed blindingly bright front and rear lights really are the answer. I use them day and night. Cars are moving to the center of the road a block before they pass me. It has stopped people from pulling out in front of me many times. Nothing is 100% but this strategy is working for me...I always have the lights blinking...
Old 11-15-21, 09:05 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Could also solve the problem by not riding in wet weather when people's vision is not at the best due to fogged windshields.
Old 11-15-21, 10:38 PM
relrrt

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
was descending a mile long hill but keeping my speed down to 25 mph because the roads were wet. To my horror, coming from the opposite direction was a white suv with turn signal on starting to cross right in front of me and then stops mid-lane giving me no options. Don’t if she didn’t see me in my bright orange-red jacket or what. I am full on the brakes knowing there is no way i can stop fast enough not to impact her. At the last second she came to her senses and gunned it forward. Just missed her by a second. Shouted a few choice words, but she was still accelerating up her long driveway. Hope she dropped her mobile phone in her latte.
so?
Old 11-15-21, 10:42 PM
relrrt

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
bs
Old 11-16-21, 10:37 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
Could also solve the problem by not riding in wet weather when people's vision is not at the best due to fogged windshields.
^^^^ Does not understand using a bike for transportation should not be limited by the weather. Or that people driving in wet weather need to drive within the limits of the conditions.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-17-21, 11:50 AM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
at least he stopped!
Old 11-20-21, 01:10 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
In decades of Bicycling, and yes, driving too, I have learned that very stupid people, and hyper-aggressive types, can drive anything, from old battered pickups to expensive European SUVs.
Makes, model, type of vehicle makes no difference. It does seem though, that people have gotten far worse over decades.

Daytime lights, with a headlight on super-flash mode, does make a difference. With the headlights available to us today, there is no reason not to use one.
Likes For trackhub: