Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

A Dummy Builds a Lynskey GR300

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

A Dummy Builds a Lynskey GR300

Old 11-27-21, 06:10 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I got the crank out today and reinstalled the BB sans any spacers at all. Everything looks well aligned. All that remains is running the shift and brake cables, wrapping the bars and putting the chain on.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-12-21, 04:40 AM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Did you get your build finished? Any pictures of the completed project?
Old 01-04-22, 06:36 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I did finish the build with the help of my LBS! I have done over 100 miles on local roads and paved paths. It's truly the perfect bike for my style. I have a hunch my other bikes are going to be lonely now.

Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-04-22, 10:21 AM
Gravel Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
Nice looking bike Luap!
Likes For Gravel Rider:
Old 01-09-22, 02:30 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I have about 150 miles on it right now and no major gripes. I'll kinda give a rundown of the build and make some comments about the parts.

The Drivetrain: GRX 46/30 Crank, SLX 11-42 cassette, GRX FD, XT RD and Gevanalle shifters.
This set up works flawlessly. The Gevanalle shifters take a wee little bit of getting used to, but shift precisely. The gearing will work anywhere I want to ride. The spacing on the smaller cogs is close enough that I could make it work on sporting group rides.

The Bars: Ritchey Comp Venture Max 46cm. The bars have a little flare, very shallow drop and a bit of an odd shape. They work great in the rare circumstances I ride in the drops. With the bars positioned where I prefer them, the bar ends come in contact with the top tube. This obviously makes no difference in riding, but knowing me, I will "park" the bike in my own special way at some point. I rotated the bars so that when I do forcefully park it, I don't have to worry about the bar ends hitting the top tube. Aesthetically, it looks awkward, but it works.

Seatpost and stem: Generic aluminum. I wanted to make sure I liked the sizing, rise, etc. before I put high end stuff on.

Wheels: DT Swiss 401 with Formula hubs. I like DT Swiss rims and have them on several bikes. They work well and have historically given me very good service. Not much else to say at this point.

Pedals: Exustar platforms. These might have been NOS. I can't find them anywhere else. The platforms are quite large, and I like that.

Brakes: TRP Spyke mechanical. Jagwire compressionless housing. I have TRP mechanicals on two other bikes and find them to hit the sweet spot in power and modulation/feel.

Tires: Vittoria Terreno Dry 700x35. I probably could have gotten away with 32s for the riding that I do. These tires roll and corner well, and come with puncture protection which is important to me. Some tires that have minimal tread in the center and blocks on the edges transition awkwardly when leaning into a high speed turn. These don't. They are smooth and feel sure footed. As with every other Vittoria tire I have mounted, these are a TIGHT fit. I haven't had a chance to run them off road yet, but I suspect they'll do well in hardpack and give up a little in muddy or sandy conditions.

Seat: Cobb Randee. I bought a pile of these when Cobb was closing them out. I hope I have enough to last me the rest of my life. They are fantastic.

The package: How does all of this work together? It's not a lightweight. I don't have a scale to weigh it on, but I'd guess that it weighs 23-24 ready to ride. It doesn't spin up as quickly as my Lynskey Backroad with 700x28 Grand Prix 4000S tires. In fact, I'd say that I am a little disappointed in how quickly it comes to life. Like the Backroad, it is plush and planted. Handling is solid and secure, luxurious if you will. It's not at all flexy, but it is compliant.

If I were to have just one bike, this one would be it.
Likes For Paul Barnard: