Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bikes shipped fully assembled?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-21, 10:03 AM
undisputed83

Bikes: 2011 Litespeed M-1, 1991 Raleigh Technium (Commuter)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there a company that does this? Seems like you can save a lot of money vs. going into a bike shop and purchasing one.

I’d kind of feel like a jerk making a shop assemble a bike I didn’t buy from them.

I’m moving to Myrtle Beach soon and looking to buy one as a primary commuter. Thanks!
Old 11-11-21, 10:35 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 618 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Electric Bike Company sells their bikes fully assembled, but in many other instances, very little work is required. If you're interested in an individual product, there may be a YouTube video.
Old 11-11-21, 11:17 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by undisputed83
I’d kind of feel like a jerk making a shop assemble a bike I didn’t buy from them.
You wouldn't be 'making' them do it, you'd be paying them to do it. If they are bothered by it or it is a nuisance to them, they can refuse. They don't take it personally.

Although, as mentioned above, most bikes come out of the box very close to fully assembled. However, even the companies that claim they are 'fully assembled' may not get every detail right, or something might be knocked out of alignment during shipping, and the final 1% of assembly takes a bike that grinds and squeaks and dies a young death to being a bike that runs smoothly.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 11-11-21, 11:20 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
To get into boxes that are not considered over sized by the shipping companies, the bikes pretty much need any pedals removed, and the handle bar and stem off the steerer and turned 90 deg. to fit in the box. Thus some assembly is required.
Old 11-11-21, 08:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Most bikes come semi-assembled but usually not tuned and fully checked over. However if you buy a bike from the shop they will have already assembled it and will have full warranties and support for that product. A lot of the online stuff doesn't come with much or if it does it still does require a shop to assemble to get a warranty. However good thing is most shops will assemble a bike for you and if not no biggie. You are paying them to build it, which is supporting them which is a good thing.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-12-21, 08:17 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12191 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
My wife got a Trek Verve 2 ebike from Cyclemania, and loves it, that's just a few miles away from you.

I put her fave saddle on, swapped out the tires for Marathon Supremes, and replaced the seatpost with a Thudbuster. All of which put together made it a much nicer bike.
Old 11-14-21, 08:47 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
While I ultimately chose a different bike, Serial 1 has a very good instructional video to get their purchasers on the road.

Old 11-23-21, 02:19 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
The closest to fully assembled I have seen to date is the Stromer. Align the stem. tighten, and ride.

-SP
Old 11-30-21, 04:57 PM
Saluki1968

Bikes: 1974 Gitane TdF, 1989 Specialized Hardrock "Ice Bike", 1990 Gary Fisher Tassajara, 2012 Trek 1.5 Alpha, 2010 Surley LHT, 2011 Surley Pugsley "Fat Tire", 1988 Gary Fisher Gemini Tandem MTB

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
My Ariel Rideal came about as "fully assembled" as you can get -1)Unpack box 2)Mount handle bars, front wheel, seat, pedals. Easy.

Old 12-01-21, 09:56 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
My lbs is perfectly happy to assemble a bike. They charge shop rates, and it takes them at least 2 hours to assemble a new bike because they are very thorough. So you might not like the price.