Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.4

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.4

Old 12-01-21, 09:54 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,831 Times in 1,299 Posts
Map of the Day

1 December 2021

Private fusion companies

Old 12-01-21, 09:54 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9524 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
If a truck can manage with three speeds, a cyclist should be just fine with "only" ten.

https://twitter.com/Bringatrailer/st...37117943881733
Since the truck weighs much more than a cyclist, shouldn't the cyclist be able to do just fine with less gears than the truck?
Old 12-01-21, 10:01 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13639 Post(s)
Liked 4,449 Times in 2,470 Posts
Sometimes, one gear is all you need.

Likes For rjones28:
Old 12-01-21, 10:03 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Since the truck weighs much more than a cyclist, shouldn't the cyclist be able to do just fine with less gears than the truck?
Having owned and driven older 3 speed vehicles and even 2 speed automatics I can say those vehicles would be quicker, more efficient, have better top speed, and be more of a pleasure to drive had they been equipped with 5 or even 4 speeds with overdrive.
Best thing I did to my last old pick up was install an overdrive transmission with a lock up torque converter. It went from screaming @ 65mph to cruising quietly.

Sometimes more really is better.
Old 12-01-21, 10:06 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Staph aureus enterotoxin is heat stable, but refrigeration prevents it. Botulinum toxin, on the other hand, which is the big danger in canned goods, is easily destroyed by heating.
We did often wonder whether Dad's good health (no prescription meds till he was 99) was due in part to a strong immune system.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-01-21, 10:06 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by rjones28
One handlebar colour is all you need.
Fixed.
Old 12-01-21, 10:09 AM
Mojo31
-------

You ride that thing? All I've ever seen are pictures of it leaning against something.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-01-21, 10:12 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 3,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

The things we do for the pets we love.
​​​​​​
Speaking of...

Vet day for these two:

Old 12-01-21, 10:13 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by ls01
'84,
Then it would have been one of those, since she'd have been riding it in the late 80s/early 90s.

Old 12-01-21, 10:20 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
In Belize we heated leftovers to boiling for a few minutes every 12 hours. Tropical and no refrigeration. Of course we weren't eating that fancy schmancy food. Mostly beans and rice and vegies.
This reminds me of why some parts of the US have a tradition of making Country Ham - ie dry cured, not brine-pumped - and others don't. You need to have enough days that are below danger but above freezing for the cure to penetrate. Too cold and the cure doesn't get in, too warm and the meat spoils first. This is why you have Virginia and Kentucky and Tennessee making country hams, but not, say, Vermont or Florida.

Old 12-01-21, 10:32 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

MoAlpha or other: Exactly what is required to get an "abstract" made public? If this was so clearly bad info, how did it get put up on this site?

https://twitter.com/aetiology/status...93297301770245
Almost nothing. No peer review. A poster is literally that - you make a poster with your methods, results, and conclusions and physically stand by it to present it during a session where there are dozens to hundreds of other posters (depending on the size of the conference) to answer questions from attendees. Conferences often put together a book with all the abstracts, so you can choose which posters you want to visit, based on your own interests. The abstracts are often then published on the conference's websites.

Abstracts are generally not peer reviewed in any way because they don't contain the data, and posters don't carry the weight of an actual published article.

This is something we in the Scientific community understand, but lay people do not - the appearance of an assertion in an abstract is damn near meaningless.

Old 12-01-21, 10:33 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

If a truck can manage with three speeds, a cyclist should be just fine with "only" ten.

https://twitter.com/Bringatrailer/st...37117943881733
Only if the cyclist has a 6 or 8 cylinder engine.....

Old 12-01-21, 10:34 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,782 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
We did often wonder whether Dad's good health (no prescription meds till he was 99) was due in part to a strong immune system.
Sounds like good genes, the right environment, and conservative medical care. All good things.
Old 12-01-21, 10:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Almost nothing. No peer review. A poster is literally that - you make a poster with your methods, results, and conclusions and physically stand by it to present it during a session where there are dozens to hundreds of other posters (depending on the size of the conference) to answer questions from attendees. Conferences often put together a book with all the abstracts, so you can choose which posters you want to visit, based on your own interests. The abstracts are often then published on the conference's websites.

Abstracts are generally not peer reviewed in any way because they don't contain the data, and posters don't carry the weight of an actual published article.

This is something we in the Scientific community understand, but lay people do not - the appearance of an assertion in an abstract is damn near meaningless.
This is all correct. However, conferences often review poster and short talk submissions for quality and often publish them in special issues of otherwise peer-reviewed publications where they become citable, adding to the confusion. And then there are abstracts of published and ostensibly peer-reviewed journal articles, which are a different thing.

This one is worth the electrons it's printed on.
Old 12-01-21, 10:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Sounds like good genes, the right environment, and conservative medical care. All good things.
He was one of those lucky people who never really had to worry about weight, or diet, and he remained slender his whole life. His diet was pretty well balanced, but did not avoid fats or sugars.

Old 12-01-21, 10:47 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Only if the cyclist has a 6 or 8 cylinder engine.....
Old 12-01-21, 10:53 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10893 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Interesting that that is the one in Cruger. I've driven by there MANY times....
I grew up 7 miles west of Cruger and ride by there frequently. I remember when Cruger had several houses still standing.

Old 12-01-21, 11:02 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

This is all correct. However, conferences often review poster and short talk submissions for quality and often publish them in special issues of otherwise peer-reviewed publications where they become citable, adding to the confusion. And then there are abstracts of published and ostensibly peer-reviewed journal articles, which are a different thing.

This one is worth the electrons it's printed on.
This is the problem with the internet - it makes everything available to everyone, but doesn't teach you how to evaluate it. And even peer review assumes your data are real, so actual fraud can slip through and get published, and only later when nobody can replicate the results will it be exposed.

When I was at Cornell, there was a graduate student who was the star of the department, and published a series of papers in top flight journals, and ALL OF IT was bulls**t. Literally made up from whole cloth, and the data faked, including gels and autorads. He worked hard at it, possibly harder than he'd have had to work to get ACTUAL results.

Old 12-01-21, 11:06 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by big john
Love the proximity of the headers to the rider's nethers.

Old 12-01-21, 11:09 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Almost nothing. No peer review. A poster is literally that - you make a poster with your methods, results, and conclusions and physically stand by it to present it during a session where there are dozens to hundreds of other posters (depending on the size of the conference) to answer questions from attendees.
Presumably it's made by someone with some scientific credibility. Or could I show up at a witch doctor conference with my self-study findings on the effectiveness of drugs?
Old 12-01-21, 11:17 AM
Mojo31
-------

Presumably it's made by someone with some scientific credibility. Or could I show up at a witch doctor conference with my self-study findings on the effectiveness of drugs?
As long as you use fancy words that 99.9% of the population don't understand, you'll be fine.
Old 12-01-21, 11:24 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,854 Times in 1,673 Posts

Reminds me of this having watched all 8 hours of the get back documentary.

Old 12-01-21, 11:30 AM
MoAlpha
• —

This is the problem with the internet - it makes everything available to everyone, but doesn't teach you how to evaluate it. And even peer review assumes your data are real, so actual fraud can slip through and get published, and only later when nobody can replicate the results will it be exposed.

When I was at Cornell, there was a graduate student who was the star of the department, and published a series of papers in top flight journals, and ALL OF IT was bulls**t. Literally made up from whole cloth, and the data faked, including gels and autorads. He worked hard at it, possibly harder than he'd have had to work to get ACTUAL results.
During my fellowship, my best buddy published a string of very high profile stuff, including a paper in Science, some of which I was on and most of which was at least partially fake. A smart journal reviewer figured out one of his little frauds and told our boss, who panicked and decided to keep it all hidden and play dumb if the authorities ever found out. This boy also dicked me around in a hundred ways which only became apparent later, including inviting me to his European lab as a visiting professor when we were junior faculty and then sticking me with the bill, which I had to pay out of pocket because he promised travel for my wife and kid plus an honorarium, and I did it as outside activity.

He went on to a chaired professorship and vice-deanship at Harvard Medical School, where the hanky-panky continued. A few years ago, he got busted for sexual inappropriateness (a chronic issue with him, I later found out) and lost all his NIH support. However, it was kept absolutely hermetically silent by HMS and they shifted him to another slightly less fancy position. My old boss, that reviewer, and other people who know never stopped doing business with him and inviting him to ****. People all over the world still line up to kiss his ass, although lots of them detest him.

That made me pretty cynical about science as an institution, even though it has put lots of food on the table over the years.
Old 12-01-21, 11:32 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by big john
Having owned and driven older 3 speed vehicles and even 2 speed automatics I can say those vehicles would be quicker, more efficient, have better top speed, and be more of a pleasure to drive had they been equipped with 5 or even 4 speeds with overdrive.
Best thing I did to my last old pick up was install an overdrive transmission with a lock up torque converter. It went from screaming @ 65mph to cruising quietly.

Sometimes more really is better.
The SportWagen (seen above) has 6 speeds. Will cruise quietly, at highway speeds, all day long.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 12-01-21, 11:33 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Fixed.
Some people here don't get it.
Likes For rjones28:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.