Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

ebike crankarm removal?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

ebike crankarm removal?

Old 11-30-21, 06:56 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
ebike crankarm removal?

My neighbor's ebike developed a squeak in the crankcase/bottom bracket after washing (hose, not pressure-washer). Knowing nothing about the drive system I still volunteered to look at it.

Couldn't get past first base, which is remove the crankarm. My square-taper crankarm extractor does not work because the spindle's hole is too big (nothing to drive against).
I thought maybe it's one of those "self-extracting" ones I've heard about. Looked at a Park's video and no, it's not self-extracting.
Tried to pry it off. Nope. Nothing convenient to pry against anyway.
I can (obviously) remove the retaining bolt (see pix). It is an 8mm hex, iirc.

How do I remove? It's a Suntour arm, if that is helpful.
And if anyone if familiar with these Bosch motors (bottom bracket drive), is there anything to lube?

Old 11-30-21, 07:02 PM
darkhorse75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
You need an insert that sits on the end of your crank extractor for Octalink/ISIS cranks.Like This https://www.parktool.com/product/cra...-cranks-ccp-44
Old 11-30-21, 08:05 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
While I don't necessarily recommend it, I've seen someone cover an octalink hole with a coin and then use a square-taper crank tool.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-30-21, 08:06 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,358 Times in 2,034 Posts
Read here for work arounds

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...d-cp-22-a.html
Old 11-30-21, 10:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
While I don't necessarily recommend it, I've seen someone cover an octalink hole with a coin and then use a square-taper crank tool.
Bad idea I tried that and it just folded the penny into a neat shape and I had to tap it out. I heard someone saying dimes were another option but I don't know that will be a great one either.

CWP-7 from Park would work well and save you space in the tool box so no need for CCP-44 and CCP-22 but you could get both of those and be set CCP-44 for ISIS and Octalink cranks.

Also if you need to remove a lockring it happens to be the old 8 notch XTR tool
Old 12-01-21, 11:31 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
Thx guys. I mainly do vintage and have only worked with cottered and square tapered. I do have four bikes with external bearing BB's but I have not needed to service them yet. I assume they are octalink. But I want to swap the cranks on one (back to vintage) before selling in the spring, so I will buy a tool then, maybe the Pedro. My old crank puller had the piece to handle both types, but it seized up, I tossed it, and its cheap generic replacement will only do square taper.
Old 12-01-21, 08:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by sunburst
Thx guys. I mainly do vintage and have only worked with cottered and square tapered. I do have four bikes with external bearing BB's but I have not needed to service them yet. I assume they are octalink. But I want to swap the cranks on one (back to vintage) before selling in the spring, so I will buy a tool then, maybe the Pedro. My old crank puller had the piece to handle both types, but it seized up, I tossed it, and its cheap generic replacement will only do square taper.
The Park one is 14.95, probably worth just getting sooner rather than later. It is the same price as a Price is Right 11oz Coffee Mug which you could probably live without seeing as how no more Rod Roddy or Bob Barker. If we were talking an expensive tool I could say yeah hold off save up yadda yadda but I think this one could be handy for you more often than you might realize.
Old 12-03-21, 10:10 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
I used the "dime" trick on ISIS several times, but never had an "Octa" (don't know why that shouldn't work though). That's in the past with the appropriate Park tool.