Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quill Stem Minimum Insertion

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Quill Stem Minimum Insertion

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-21, 12:25 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by MacMwnci
Here's a diagram, to further expand the question ((hey, I'm on a roll with these puns now)

Once inserted into the steer tube, the wedge won't be over-riding the stem like it does in your picture. That is, your red line shouldn't be aligned to the edge of the wedge, but rather to the top of the angle cut on the stem. You might have a couple threads overlap, but unless godzilla torques down the stem bolt it oughtn't be a problem.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-03-21, 03:08 PM
MacMwnci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some good points. Thanks for all your responses. I'll cable the bike up and take it for a test ride when I get the chance. Unless I'll need to substantially raise the stem it should be ok as it is then. One of those things that you need to be sure of before putting some fresh bar tape on!

Happy cycling all!
Old 11-25-21, 09:22 AM
MacMwnci

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've just come across this now, quite by chance, on Rivendell's website:

https://www.rivbike.com/blogs/grant-...-thwack-update

(scroll down for the non-Brad Pitt relevant bit)

Interesting, eh?
Old 11-27-21, 03:26 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
also a wedge type stem is a little kinder to the steerer tube than a cone (Cinelli)

the setup you've described here looks fine.

/markp
Old 12-04-21, 02:39 PM
Elco
Elco

Bikes: aluminium Concorde Cipressa roadbike , my homebrew/rebuild Trek District (hybride) TT aluminium /magnesium fixed roadbike, Giant Boulder team aluminium /magnesium A.T.B. and last yet definitely not least Scapin Enki full carbon roadbike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
watch it !!

keep a big amount clearance..
one would think that weakest link is the stem ...
but you should keep in mind that the bike frame was build for a system ...if you have the same hardware to replace the smaller stem ..ok. keep compatibility up...or loose safety...
if it's alluminium keep to alluminium or steel same thing ..even the weight difference can be effective and cause a deffect or crash...
they made alluminium parts for like forever so newer hardware could just right INSTANTLY KILL your old SYSTEM ALLUMINUM or other ...
be well !!!✌🤏