Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Centaur Ultra Torque crankset

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-30-21, 07:54 AM
Abdelmoumene

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding compatibility of the crankset and the bottom bracket.

Is the Campagnolo centaur 170mm 53/39 Ultra Torque compatible with both Ultra torque Bottom brackets ? (Italian and English)

My frame has threaded shells bottom bracket 700mm width and 1.37″ x 24 threads. I know it is not common.

Thanks a lot for you help, let me know if I have to give more details.
Thanks
Old 11-30-21, 10:40 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Abdelmoumene
Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding compatibility of the crankset and the bottom bracket.

Is the Campagnolo centaur 170mm 53/39 Ultra Torque compatible with both Ultra torque Bottom brackets ? (Italian and English)

My frame has threaded shells bottom bracket 700mm width and 1.37″ x 24 threads. I know it is not common.

Thanks
700 mm seems pretty wide, over 27 inches. What make of frame are you asking about?
Old 11-30-21, 11:37 AM
Abdelmoumene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Bianchi with 1986 1987 campione del mondo sticker, I beleive it is made in Japan (Tange Infinity tubing)

I have bought a Campagnolo Centaur Ultra Torque crankset that came with Italian Bottom bracket, I am wondering if I can just change the BB cups to ENG threads and keep the same Crankset.

Thank you !
Old 11-30-21, 11:37 AM
Abdelmoumene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Bianchi with 1986 1987 campione del mondo sticker, I beleive it is made in Japan (Tange Infinity tubing)

I have bought a Campagnolo Centaur Ultra Torque crankset that came with Italian Bottom bracket, I am wondering if I can just change the BB cups to ENG threads and keep the same Crankset.

Thank you !
Old 11-30-21, 12:37 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

Thank you !
Pretty sure the crankset is the same, regardless of ITA or BSC - certainly if you go to buy an UT crank, the BB thread isn't an issue - that only comes up when you buy the BB
Old 11-30-21, 12:44 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Pretty sure the crankset is the same, regardless of ITA or BSC - certainly if you go to buy an UT crank, the BB thread isn't an issue - that only comes up when you buy the BB
What is not clear is the bottom bracket shell width and threading. The OP says 700mm shell width(probably 70mm) with BSC threading. This is quite uncommon and if using English threaded cups the crank spindle might not be long enough. It might be necessary to face the BB shell down to 68 mm. If the BB threading is Italian, the BB cups that they already have would be fine because they are made for a 70mm BB shell
Old 11-30-21, 01:20 PM
Abdelmoumene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I see, thank you !
Old 11-30-21, 01:27 PM
Abdelmoumene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
What is not clear is the bottom bracket shell width and threading. The OP says 700mm shell width(probably 70mm) with BSC threading. This is quite uncommon and if using English threaded cups the crank spindle might not be long enough. It might be necessary to face the BB shell down to 68 mm. If the BB threading is Italian, the BB cups that they already have would be fine because they are made for a 70mm BB shell
It is 70mm (not 700 lol) I thought also it was italian but the diameter is 34mm instead of 36mm. I understand your remark but the crank spindle is attached to the crankset no ? or you mean even if it is attached to the crankset, the bottom bracket can have an impact on the spindle lenth for Ultra torque ?

Merci !
Old 11-30-21, 04:26 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
The width of the spindle is set. Half of it is integral to the left arm, and half of it to the right, with a special joint where they connect in the center. The cups are the important thing to match to your frame. If you’re not sure about the thread pitch of your BB shell, get confirmation. Usually, English road bike shells are 68mm wide (Italian is 70 I think), and although the diameter is the same between English and Italian, the thread pitch is different.

If you’re sure about which standard your frame has, order the correct cups, and you’ll be fine. The crank doesn’t care—Ultra Torque is Ultra Torque.
Old 12-01-21, 08:19 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
The answer to the orginal question is YES, Ultra Torque cranks are compatable with English or Italian threaded UT BB cups.
Old 12-01-21, 08:38 AM
Abdelmoumene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
The answer to the orginal question is YES, Ultra Torque cranks are compatable with English or Italian threaded UT BB cups.
Thank you !
Old 12-01-21, 09:42 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
It is 70mm (not 700 lol) I thought also it was italian but the diameter is 34mm instead of 36mm.

Merci !
Are you sure you are measuring the right thing? How are you measuring that 34mm now? You are supposed to be measuring the diameter of the threads of the cup that comes out of that bottom bracket, NOT the inner diameter of the BB hole.

It's almost impossible that that bike had a BB that was neither Italian nor English.
Old 12-01-21, 10:11 AM
Abdelmoumene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
The width of the spindle is set. Half of it is integral to the left arm, and half of it to the right, with a special joint where they connect in the center. The cups are the important thing to match to your frame. If you’re not sure about the thread pitch of your BB shell, get confirmation. Usually, English road bike shells are 68mm wide (Italian is 70 I think), and although the diameter is the same between English and Italian, the thread pitch is different.

If you’re sure about which standard your frame has, order the correct cups, and you’ll be fine. The crank doesn’t care—Ultra Torque is Ultra Torque.
I thought Italian is 36mm*24tpi (36 is the diameter and 24 threads per inch) and English is 1,37 inch*24tpi (1,37icn = 34,798mm diameter and 24 threads per inch) or are you talking about another diameter ?
Also the right side of the bottom bracket shell is left threaded, does is not indicate an English shell even if the width is 70mm ?
Thank you !
Old 12-01-21, 10:16 AM
Abdelmoumene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Are you sure you are measuring the right thing? How are you measuring that 34mm now? You are supposed to be measuring the diameter of the threads of the cup that comes out of that bottom bracket, NOT the inner diameter of the BB hole.

It's almost impossible that that bike had a BB that was neither Italian nor English.
I have measured the BB Shell, so ~34 mm is the inner diameter of the BB Shell (still didn't buy the BB cups)
Also the right side of the bottom bracket shell is left threaded, does is not indicate an English shell even if the width is 70mm ?
Thank you !

Old 12-01-21, 10:47 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
That looks like 69mm to me
Anyways, I am going to go with BSA. I think this is a BSA BB. They just forgot to face it down to 68mm.
Old 12-01-21, 11:01 AM
Abdelmoumene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
That looks like 69mm to me
Anyways, I am going to go with BSA. I think this is a BSA BB. They just forgot to face it down to 68mm.
hahahha alright, thank you !
Old 12-02-21, 06:05 AM
CooperJames

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm trying to figure out if there may be another reason for the 70mm BSA, i.e. to space the drive side of the BB further outboard of centre?
Either way your UT cranks should work with the correct pretension spring.
not common Centaur UT cranks, most are power torque.
Old 12-02-21, 09:22 AM
Abdelmoumene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CooperJames
I'm trying to figure out if there may be another reason for the 70mm BSA, i.e. to space the drive side of the BB further outboard of centre?
Either way your UT cranks should work with the correct pretension spring.
Maybe ! Thanks for the tip regarding the pretention spring!

I have finally find the extra 2mm after cleaning the frame this morning, English it is

Thank you all for your precious help !

Old 12-02-21, 09:54 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
11 speed Centaur (aluminum crank) from a few years ago was Ultra Torque. This is what I have on my bike.
Old 12-02-21, 03:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
11 speed Centaur (aluminum crank) from a few years ago was Ultra Torque. This is what I have on my bike.
Mine, too, purchased last year. That was for a 2006 Bianchi 928, which has an English threaded BB shell.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-05-21, 02:35 AM
CooperJames

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Maybe ! Thanks for the tip regarding the pretention spring!

I have finally find the extra 2mm after cleaning the frame this morning, English it is

Thank you all for your precious help !
still can’t figure out what’s happening there, sure it’s BSA thread? Not French?
Old 12-29-21, 07:28 AM
Abdelmoumene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
still can’t figure out what’s happening there, sure it’s BSA thread? Not French?
Hello, sorry for the late reply, so long story short yes it is BSA thread, and I had to face it down (in a bike workshop) to 2 mm, to have 68mm width (it was 70mm), so all good now, I was able to mount the BSA BB cups
Old 12-29-21, 07:54 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
I'm late here, but I have used the same UT crank with both. Crank doesn't care.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 12-29-21, 08:18 AM
Abdelmoumene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I'm late here, but I have used the same UT crank with both. Crank doesn't care.
Yes ! I confirm, tank you !
Old 12-29-21, 08:22 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Thanks
I'm not sure we're reading the Campy code correctly. First take a good metric scale ir caliper and measure the actual BB shell width. Do not go by anything printed in a book, data sheet, or web site. You need to know within about ½ mm how wide the actual shell is from face to face.

Does this chainset take square taper spindles, or does it have the large diameter Campy integrated spindle and threaded cups which thread into the ends of teh BB shell? If it's the former, you can use an English threaded cartridge BB (probably Centaur or other Campy 111 millimeter). You only have 2 mm extra shell width, and the non-drive side might be able to take care of this. If not, have the BB shell faced down to 68 mm at a shop which has "adjusted" frames in this manner a lot of times.

If you have the separated cups for the big, fat, hollow Campy integrated spindle and they are British threaded, first gently verify the threading by screwinng them in gently without cross threading. Then take them out and go through the standard Campy installation procedure. There should be zero end-play when the cups are turned down home, and very free chainset rotation with no scraping.

I think at the start of the Cam[y procedure they ask you to verify the correct bottom bracket dimensions. If you took the frame and those numbers to the best LBS in the area, they can tell you right anything is not right. Have that shop correct it if it seems like they can do it. But it does take some special tools, pretty $$. It it is too wide, it takes a special hand mill to cut the faces squarely.