Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Headset replacement for an old Rockhopper

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-04-21, 07:25 PM
maagg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello!

I am struggle trying to work out what size of headset should I order for this late 90s or 2000s rockhopper
I am getting frustrated that every LBS i went around town they either cant tell or there is no a mechanic around

This was a headset that had a sealed bearing
Steerer tube is 28.6mm

I was looking on ebay and I think I can also found my size or I am not sure if I am looking wrong
Looking this pic I see mine have OD 41mm and ID 39mm
But I cant find a size that matches that

Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
Old 12-04-21, 08:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
I assume that when you checked with the shops you didn't have the bike or the headset parts in hand and they could see them. The reason I say that is the bike industry doesn't have a consistent and comprehensive listing of every bike's parts per year and model. For brands or bikes not carried/sold by a LBS it has been the common standard to have the parts in front of the "parts guy" so they can measure and confirm the exact replacement.

Most here won't be able to measure to the degree needed for this with a tape measure. Typically, a caliper is best, they are cheap, I suggest getting one if you're going to be doing this stuff in the future. Andy
Old 12-04-21, 09:15 PM
maagg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually did
I have no idea if is some weird post lockdown phenom
But nobody was able to help

Well, I will see if someone else here brings some light
Thanks a lot
Old 12-04-21, 10:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

I seriously doubt there's some lock down against just you here. People read when they want to and reply when motivated. No obligations or expectations can be made as we're still a free country.

Given that you do have a caliper why show a photo of such a poor measurer method? It's that image that helped me come up with my thoughts about you... Yes, I am subject to initially believing what i see. Andy
Old 12-04-21, 10:21 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Chances are all you need is a standard 1 1/8" EC cup headset.

The photos/info don't help too much, a side view of the headtube, rather than top would be more useful, and the date range of the bike is a little vague.

If you do know the specifics of your bike, you could always look up old catalogues which will often include exact specs, or use a tool like the SHIS

Everything You Need To Know About Headsets - Cane Creek

CaneCreek SHIS Poster_v20 (problemsolversbike.com)
Likes For jimc101:
Old 12-05-21, 07:44 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
It sounds like you're trying to find a replacement bearing rather than the complete headset. You'll need careful work with a caliper and some luck to get that to work, or matching numbers on the old bearings. If you're looking to replace the entire headset, jimc101 above is probably right that it's a standard 1 1/8" headset, but you'll need another set of tools and skills for that job, pulling and installing bearing races.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 12-05-21, 11:09 AM
maagg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At this point I am just looking for the easiest way to do it
I will get a caliper and hope the best I imagine

I am just an amateur trying to re-use an old cool bike, sorry if the post is not clear enough for some Seniors here
Old 12-05-21, 11:20 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Re-looking at the photos, not quite sure what is going on, the dissembled parts look to be 'loose' bearing type, the first image is of a sealed bearing back in the late 90's/early 00's (and even today in lower price point bike sealed bearings aren't standard. Maagg maybe confusing the issue with images of two incompatible bearing types (hard to tell exactly what he does have with the current condition of the parts/photos), if he does have the loose type, he would just need to replace the ball bearing/repack with grease and re-install, but finding the exact size will be more complicated now they look to have been removed, hopefully they haven't been binned yet..

If he has dis-assembled a sealed bearing, the spec will still be printed/etched on the side of the largest piece of the bearing (the silver retaining rings) and all that is needed then is to go to a good LBS or bearing supplier and aske for a bearing that matches that part number.

Have found that with sealed cartridge bearing headsets, the cost of just buying a complete new headset is often similar to buying just the bearing (at the FSA Orbit/Cane Creek 10 end of the market) vs buying them individually, so look to see what is the best option in your area/local market
Old 12-05-21, 12:29 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by maagg
At this point I am just looking for the easiest way to do it
I will get a caliper and hope the best I imagine

I am just an amateur trying to re-use an old cool bike, sorry if the post is not clear enough for some Seniors here
Get snarky and you get less answers...
Provide the Year, Make and Model of your bike.
To us "seniors" a headset is the full monty... cups, bearings, races, locknuts, washers. Comes in package, everything works together. As other have stated it appears that you are looking for bearings only. Well, no one can assist you without complete measurements which you didn't provide.
The best thing would be to just replace the entire "headset" and not the "bearings". Then the only thing your really have to determine is, is it threaded or threadless? Is it 1" or 1 &1/8"? then purchase the appropriate headset and replace all of the parts listed above.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics

Last edited by canopus; 12-05-21 at 12:45 PM.
Likes For canopus:
Old 12-05-21, 12:52 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Hello!

I am struggle trying to work out what size of headset should I order for this late 90s or 2000s rockhopper
I am getting frustrated that every LBS i went around town they either cant tell or there is no a mechanic around

This was a headset that had a sealed bearing
Steerer tube is 28.6mm

I was looking on ebay and I think I can also found my size or I am not sure if I am looking wrong
Looking this pic I see mine have OD 41mm and ID 39mm
But I cant find a size that matches that

Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
Yes, you are doing something wrong. The OD for the bearing is 41mm (as mentioned, a caliper gives a much better measurement). In ID isn’t 39mm, the ID is set by the steer tube that goes through it. But you don’t want the bearing to touch the steer tube, you want it to ride on the race. So the 41mm x 30mm should be the bearing you want.

It’s best to measure the original bearing but I’m assuming you have a basket case without the bearing, correct? It might be easier to just replace the whole headset rather than try to find a bearing.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-06-21, 02:55 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
Get snarky and you get less answers...
Provide the Year, Make and Model of your bike.
To us "seniors" a headset is the full monty... cups, bearings, races, locknuts, washers. Comes in package, everything works together. As other have stated it appears that you are looking for bearings only. Well, no one can assist you without complete measurements which you didn't provide.
The best thing would be to just replace the entire "headset" and not the "bearings". Then the only thing your really have to determine is, is it threaded or threadless? Is it 1" or 1 &1/8"? then purchase the appropriate headset and replace all of the parts listed above.
i'm willing to bet he simply meant seniors in terms of forum ranking..ie."senior" members. but, if i'm wrong, i will find him...and i will.....
Old 12-06-21, 03:07 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I seriously doubt there's some lock down against just you here. People read when they want to and reply when motivated. No obligations or expectations can be made as we're still a free country.

Given that you do have a caliper why show a photo of such a poor measurer method? It's that image that helped me come up with my thoughts about you... Yes, I am subject to initially believing what i see. Andy
i think what he meant by "post" lockdown was "after" the lockdown and not forum posting. i wouldn't be surprised at the possibility he's implying, though. i went to a big chain bike store a couple of months ago (i don't normally go to) looking for what i thought should be fairly common parts albeit for a 90's bike set up. everything it seems they sell and/or stock is for newer standards...ie. tapered steerers, disc brakes, etc. even then, they didn't have a whole lot on hand. anyway, the young fellow really had no idea what i was talking about though he was a "mechanic". i don't recall what is was i was looking/asking for, but i was genuinely surprised by this. i'm guessing they probably rarely if ever get anyone coming in with older bikes there. conversely, the place i like to go to(though i can't get there very often), there's a young 20 something fellow that i thought would have humped my leg over my having a 98 bontrager last time i was there....lol

edit: i remember now. it was barrel adjusters. might have been mickeys i was asking for. and, i said a couple of months, but it was summer actually. <<blurr>>

Last edited by thook; 12-06-21 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-06-21, 09:51 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Unless you have the year of the bike wrong by a lot, you need a standard 1-1/8" headset for a non-tapered fork.

If you are just looking for a set of sealed bearings for the existing headset, the old bearings should have identifying numbers stamped or printed somewhere - likely on the rubber or plastic dust seal.
Even if you have that number, though, is no guarantee that the exact bearing is available - I had a Ritchey headset with a bearing that was a standard size but had a chamfered edge on the inside race, and I could not find a replacement. I just eventually popped the bearings apart and replaced the balls and regreased. It wasn't ideal but the headset functioned OK.

Here is a complete headset the vendor claims is available and that will fit your frame and fork. Bikeman Cane Creek 10 Series Complete Headset, EC34/28.6mm Upper and EC34/30.0mm Lower, Black
The only possible snag with that is that the 'stack height' of the headset may not match, and if you have no spacers above of below your stem it may not work if the replacement is taller than the original. If there are spacers and the replacement headset has a taller stack height than the original you just need to remove a spacer or replace it with a thinner one. If the replacement headset has a shorter stack height than the original you may need to add a couple spacers.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 12-06-21, 10:20 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by thook
i think what he meant by "post" lockdown was "after" the lockdown and not forum posting. i wouldn't be surprised at the possibility he's implying, though. i went to a big chain bike store a couple of months ago (i don't normally go to) looking for what i thought should be fairly common parts albeit for a 90's bike set up. everything it seems they sell and/or stock is for newer standards...ie. tapered steerers, disc brakes, etc. even then, they didn't have a whole lot on hand. anyway, the young fellow really had no idea what i was talking about though he was a "mechanic". i don't recall what is was i was looking/asking for, but i was genuinely surprised by this. i'm guessing they probably rarely if ever get anyone coming in with older bikes there. conversely, the place i like to go to(though i can't get there very often), there's a young 20 something fellow that i thought would have humped my leg over my having a 98 bontrager last time i was there....lol

edit: i remember now. it was barrel adjusters. might have been mickeys i was asking for. and, i said a couple of months, but it was summer actually. <<blurr>>

Good point and I now can read the OP's statements with a different context. The part about no one being able to help to me was a dig at us for not replying in the numbers he was hoping for.

There is most certainly a C19 driven loss of product availability. If your factory loses 50% of production capacity you might chose to only make what your best customers want. That's the bike brands and not the service parts supply for the aftermarket.

But another loss is going on, and I'm a good example of this. The last couple of years has been a very hard moment in the LBS from a personal context. I know of more than just me that finally burned out and decided to finally do what we thought about doing every busy Spring (for 45 years with me), that's getting out of the shop industry and into one that has less demands from people who think that just because they have $ you, as a shop person, owe them everything and do it right now. But when this work volume doubles and never stops for most of the year (we were still behind our repairs well into the Fall, months later than typical) it takes a toll. The LBS is losing people, experienced wrenches are the hardest to find and hire that I have ever experienced. One might think that after so many years of doing this heavily seasonal job and also owning my own shop for 15 years (1986-2000 inclusive),when I worked 75+ hours a week for many months, I would be use to the stress and demands. But the C19 driven explosion of needs was far more than what anyone was ready for. After 2 years of this level of work load I decided to leave the shop (still will fill in every so often, can't get rid of the benefits). My story is a common one these days.

So when I read of riders not finding parts or help at their LBS it's a real thing and one that's not going to improve completely for a long time. Andy
Old 12-06-21, 11:14 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
i'm willing to bet he simply meant seniors in terms of forum ranking..ie."senior" members. but, if i'm wrong, i will find him...and i will.....

cantankerous = see. canopus
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 12-06-21, 12:57 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Good point and I now can read the OP's statements with a different context. The part about no one being able to help to me was a dig at us for not replying in the numbers he was hoping for.

There is most certainly a C19 driven loss of product availability. If your factory loses 50% of production capacity you might chose to only make what your best customers want. That's the bike brands and not the service parts supply for the aftermarket.

But another loss is going on, and I'm a good example of this. The last couple of years has been a very hard moment in the LBS from a personal context. I know of more than just me that finally burned out and decided to finally do what we thought about doing every busy Spring (for 45 years with me), that's getting out of the shop industry and into one that has less demands from people who think that just because they have $ you, as a shop person, owe them everything and do it right now. But when this work volume doubles and never stops for most of the year (we were still behind our repairs well into the Fall, months later than typical) it takes a toll. The LBS is losing people, experienced wrenches are the hardest to find and hire that I have ever experienced. One might think that after so many years of doing this heavily seasonal job and also owning my own shop for 15 years (1986-2000 inclusive),when I worked 75+ hours a week for many months, I would be use to the stress and demands. But the C19 driven explosion of needs was far more than what anyone was ready for. After 2 years of this level of work load I decided to leave the shop (still will fill in every so often, can't get rid of the benefits). My story is a common one these days.

So when I read of riders not finding parts or help at their LBS it's a real thing and one that's not going to improve completely for a long time. Andy
i hear you. my favorite shop closed many years ago. i really miss the dude and his crankiness. but, there was also the growing competition with bigger pockets
similarly, i'd worked at a small herb/vitamin shop for almost 22 years and we closed down a couple of weeks ago. there was only four of us working there... me being the youngest and only male at 49yrs. this is largely due to the opening of two big chain natural food stores several (pointing middle finger at you bezos), then the pandemic on the skirt tails of the rise in online shopping, and finally supply interruptions and outright source failures. a small shop with experienced help for your vitamins and health will not happen again around here. i mean, there's typically such a high staffing turn over i'd be surprised any one person stuck with the job long enough to learn it well
Old 12-09-21, 03:48 PM
maagg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh wow
well, first thing english is not my first language so If I expressed myself wrong I apologize
true, photos are not the best, I was hoping that with the info I provided maybe was enough
I dont have a caliper at hand, I might order one...
I wasnt thinking to get one bc I thought this was a super simply thing that I can maybe help help in any LBS, but for some reason I went to so many around Harrow (UK) and I just had back luck
Also, I am a woman, just for some replies addressing differently
There is no number in any pieces, it was a sealed ring that literally explode when I was removing the stem
looks like I might need to order a tool to remove the cups and a caliper to measure what I found from there and order a full headset after I know that, right?
I know the bike is around late's 90 early 2000
I even have a post showing the bike bc I wasnt able to identified with bikepedia

I appreciate the patience, I am learning, I a just a young noob person trying to finish the bike
Old 12-09-21, 04:21 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
If it were me, I get a complete sealed cartridge headset, as noted in post #13 by ClydeClydesen.

Specialized Rockhoppers of that era didn’t anything special or unique. Remove the old crown race and cups and install new ones.

John
Old 12-09-21, 04:35 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
oh wow
well, first thing english is not my first language so If I expressed myself wrong I apologize
true, photos are not the best, I was hoping that with the info I provided maybe was enough
I dont have a caliper at hand, I might order one...
I wasnt thinking to get one bc I thought this was a super simply thing that I can maybe help help in any LBS, but for some reason I went to so many around Harrow (UK) and I just had back luck
Also, I am a woman, just for some replies addressing differently
There is no number in any pieces, it was a sealed ring that literally explode when I was removing the stem
looks like I might need to order a tool to remove the cups and a caliper to measure what I found from there and order a full headset after I know that, right?

I appreciate the patience, I am learning, I a just a young noob person trying to finish the bike
While the tool is nice it's not needed to remove or install a typical headset, especially if it is being replaced.
A flat screwdriver and small hammer will knock them out and threaded rod, washers, and nuts to press new ones in. A caliper is an absolute must for working on bikes. Cheap digital calipers can be had for as little as $7 USD that are adequate for home use.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ggestions.html

https://www.amazon.com/Micrometer-Mi...96293110&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LQRLY-Elect..._id=6286323031