Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

A new kids trailer

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

A new kids trailer

Old 06-29-20, 03:47 AM
Lizbot80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A new kids trailer

Hopefully this is the right spot, I'm looking for some suggestions. (The post got long if you get to the bottom thank you)
I need to buy a new trailer, I'm convinced our current one is about to collapse mid ride. It was a cheap double (infantastic was its make) but did the job 2yrs ago carting about a relatively light 3yr old. Said child is now 5 and we have a 1yr old.
our biggest issue is access to the back of our house is very narrow and there's a 45° angle as you come round the current trailer is 71.5cm wide. It's relatively easy to get the trailer in and out but I need to watch it. I'm thinking the maximum width we could fit down there would be 74cm, not sure on length.
I'm trying to work out suspension vs not and bench seat vs hammock seat.
I guess what I'm asking is what model/make of trailer would be best, whether to look for suspension and which seat is best.
It needs to a double coz said 5yr old is not confident enough on his bike to travel 2.5 miles along a river path to school each day.
Again thanks if you made it this far.
Old 06-30-20, 04:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Look for a used Burley or Chariot from the last decade or so.

5 is awkward, they are not really great at riding yet but they don't fit in the accessories any more. You can maybe put the 1yo in a kid seat and the older kid in a single trailer. But to me 5 seems pretty big to fit in a trailer lengthwise, never mind sitting next to a 1yo. And he's not going to ride there for long before he's good enough to go the distance... it's only a 15 min ride. It might be time for a different idea.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-17-20, 08:47 AM
Prodigy4299

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
We have the Thule Chariot two seater and (according to Google, at least) it is 51 cm wide. As Darth Lefty wrote, a Burley makes great trailers too, though where we live it's a bit hard to find replacement parts.

What's best about the Chariot is that it comes with a wide range of attachments, so you can use it for biking, cross country skiing, hiking, running, inline skating or as a stroller.

Re: suspension, our doesn't have one, and I can't say I've ever wished it had. Hope at least some of this helps.
Old 07-22-20, 07:11 PM
Sladester2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im always nervous with my toddler in one
Old 12-06-21, 02:21 PM
michalshawn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what is inline skating
Old 12-06-21, 02:40 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
example: https://bont.com/pages/inline-skates