Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unknown Vetta frame help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Unknown Vetta frame help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-21, 07:55 PM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Unknown Vetta frame help

I picked up this bike for $350 USD bc it had a nice Mavic tubular wheelset, all Campy Record/NR/SR.
But I am curious about the frame. It says “ Super” on the toptube, thats all besides the Vetta decals with the G Taverna signature. It has quite a long wheelbase, 40”, no eyelets on the dropouts. Very nice lugwork with cutouts and a Gios style seat stay ends.
Anyone have any ideas what this is? Weighs about 2.5 kg with fork and headset. 51cm frame and 126mm rear spacing.

Old 12-06-21, 11:13 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Looks nice! I can't help with the ID but someone will be along who can help. Enjoy it!
Likes For thumpism:
Old 12-06-21, 08:40 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
MauriceMoss was the first guy who had made extensive write-ups about this brand for C&V, before him I thought only of Vetta as a maker of helmets and minor accessories.

The two Vettas are not related, AFAIK.

I don't recall Mr. Moss showing any example as early as this (assuming it is what the decals claim), so he would hopefully have some interest as well as something informative to say!

That script "Super" looks bit like the Peugeot font...odd...

We all want to see MORE pix!
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 12-06-21, 09:20 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://vintagevelore-cycling.com/an...taverna-vetta/

​​​​​​https://www-vetta-it.translate.goog/...n&_x_tr_pto=sc

​​​​​​https://nirvanabike-wordpress-com.tr...n&_x_tr_pto=sc
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-07-21, 01:45 AM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 192 Posts
I've seen a lot of Vettas over the years but this one doesn't look like one of theirs. Specifically, the seat stay caps are unlike anything I've seen on Vetta frames. The fork crown is also not something Vetta used, but it could also be a replacement (btw, do the front and rear dropouts match?).

unworthy1 nailed the "Super" decal - it looks like part of a Peugeot "Super Competition" (there were "Super Randonneur" ones too) decal like this:

Not sure why someone would put Vetta decals on a non-Vetta frame. It's not a well known marque (at least in the US) plus, while nice, isn't a highly prestigious one either.

Could you post shots of the head and seat lug cutouts? From these pics the head lug cutouts look like they're just triangular (as opposed to having a point on the edge closer to the head tube).
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 12-07-21, 07:39 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I'd also like pictures of the overall frame and stay/blade ends to dropout transitions. It appears to be a older frame. I associate the male bottle braze-ons with early to mid 1970s models. The pump peg on the underside of the top tube was a small frame alternative to the umbrella clip, in the years prior to the popularity of frame fit pumps. Yet, it has top tube cable tunnels, which I associate as starting in the very late 1970s. Some of these features seem anachronistic to me, so I suspect some mods and a repaint were undertaken.

Regardless, it appears to be a higher grade frame with good workmanship. It's likely a Columbus SL frame with a 27.2mm post size and a Columbus steerer tube. Please confirm.

Last edited by T-Mar; 12-07-21 at 07:43 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 12-07-21, 08:50 AM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Hi, thank you all! Iforgot to mention there are no markings on the underside of the BB, except for three small punch marks. There are also three punch marks on the fork. Lots of pics below! Sadly, a crack by the drive side derail boss.
Robin (she/her)

Old 12-07-21, 08:52 AM
Surfer77

punchmarks on fork. no Columbus marking. Seat tube is 27.2. Italian threads. 68mm BB shell. Bare frame w/o fork is 1.9 kg. Fork is 700g. Yes, Campy dropouts fork and rear, just legible.

Last edited by Surfer77; 12-07-21 at 09:09 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 12-08-21, 03:39 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I'd also like pictures of the overall frame and stay/blade ends to dropout transitions. It appears to be a older frame. I associate the male bottle braze-ons with early to mid 1970s models. The pump peg on the underside of the top tube was a small frame alternative to the umbrella clip, in the years prior to the popularity of frame fit pumps. Yet, it has top tube cable tunnels, which I associate as starting in the very late 1970s. Some of these features seem anachronistic to me, so I suspect some mods and a repaint were undertaken.

Regardless, it appears to be a higher grade frame with good workmanship. It's likely a Columbus SL frame with a 27.2mm post size and a Columbus steerer tube. Please confirm.
Lots of pics added. Its 27.2 seat tube, italian threads, 68mm BB. No sign of Columbus on fork.
Robin