Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

rear hub problem.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

rear hub problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-21, 11:24 AM
akirapuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
rear hub problem.

My road bike when I am moving it around off the bike, sometimes the rear hub spins like half a circle backwards, and then when it happens the chain comes off from the front deurailler and gets stuck between the frame and crank. It happens all the time, but doesnt happen when i try to replicate the problem.

It is a mystery to me why this happens. Does anyone else have the same problem?
Old 11-07-21, 01:34 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Have you noticed what gear you are in when it happens?
Old 11-07-21, 07:01 PM
akirapuff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Have you noticed what gear you are in when it happens?
i am in the big front ring and smallest rear ring usually. But i dont know why the rear hub spins backwards byitself.
Old 11-08-21, 08:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I'm thinking maybe you sometimes shift the front just before you stop from the previous ride and don't pedal enough for the shift to be completed.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-08-21, 08:54 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Probably the weight of the pedal/crankarm is turning the crank backward because the chain is partly off.
Old 11-09-21, 01:44 AM
akirapuff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Probably the weight of the pedal/crankarm is turning the crank backward because the chain is partly off.
This might be it. When it spins, it seems it is weighted somehow, and makes half a circle. But I dont know why the chain would be partly off, I dont do anything. Sometimes Im standing still and it happens..
Old 11-09-21, 09:04 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by akirapuff
This might be it. When it spins, it seems it is weighted somehow, and makes half a circle. But I dont know why the chain would be partly off, I dont do anything. Sometimes Im standing still and it happens..
Something wrong with your derailleur adjustments or the chain line is off somehow.
Old 11-10-21, 10:35 AM
akirapuff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
The hub will spin backward by itself if the chain is about to come off any of the crank ring from the bottom.

For the chain to come off from the bottom of the big ring and straight to the frame, skipping the small ring, then you are somehow or something is pushing the chain sideways towards the frame at the bottom while you move the bike around.

By any chance you're carrying the bike with the drive side facing you? Your legs could be pushing the chain in without you noticing it. OR something on the ground is coming into contact with the chain as you move the bike around.

The only time the chain can come off by its own is due to "cross chaining" if the chain is on the big ring and also the biggest sprocket at the back (in terms of physical size). But since you mention the smallest rear ring, it is really weird the chain is getting to the frame instead.
No I am not pushing the chain from drive side. Only thing I might be doing is slightly move the bike backand forth with both wheels on the ground. Sometimes im not even doing that and it comes off, meaning I am perfectly still.

But from what you are saying, I was thinking, maybe the front deurailler is pushing itself off because of the gap from the smallest rear cog is too large? is that even possible, if my front deurailler is not adjusted correctly?
Old 11-10-21, 10:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

How new is this bike? Even if it's over a year old if you bought it from a LBS, they'll probably charge little to nothing if it's only a minor adjustment like the front DR not oriented properly with the rings or a limit screw that wasn't properly adjusted when they sold it.
Old 11-10-21, 08:15 PM
akirapuff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
How new is this bike? Even if it's over a year old if you bought it from a LBS, they'll probably charge little to nothing if it's only a minor adjustment like the front DR not oriented properly with the rings or a limit screw that wasn't properly adjusted when they sold it.
I built the bike.
Old 11-10-21, 08:18 PM
akirapuff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It shouldn't happen with that gap. Big ring to smallest cog, the chain should drop to the pedals, not the frame if the adjustment is wrong.

One possibility is chain rub on the front deraileur. There should be none if the FR is correctly adjusted.
no chain rub. adjusted recently outward.
Old 11-11-21, 08:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

New components or scrounged stuff? If they are Shimano components did you get the tech docs? User instructions (UI), service instructions (SI) and if new enough parts the dealers manuals (DM)? The dealers manuals are everything you'd want a user manual to be. They give the most info about installing, adjusting and any regular maintenance if that part needs such. Shimano has docs for all their stuff online even from the previous Century. Other manufactures seem to take down old documentation or make it hard to find.

Did you mix and match component models and brands or did you use an entire groupset of the same manufacture?
Old 11-12-21, 03:32 PM
akirapuff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The circumstance are unbelievable as it sounds.

I think you should install a camera on your bike facing the drivetrain so next it happens you'll have an answer.
so its **** this. it happens going backwards i realized, but in the video it got caught on the front small ring, but usually it comes off completely.

Likes For akirapuff:
Old 11-12-21, 04:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Am I seeing Di2? Although your description of when you dropped chains didn't sound like the same as mine, when I first got Di2 in March or 2020, I had a rash of chain drops. I finally figured out that as I was getting on and off the bike I was unknowingly pressing the shift levers. Once I taught myself not to do that the chain drops stopped.

If I ever suspect that I pushed them by accident when moving the bike around the house, garage or loading on and off the car, then I lift the back wheel and spin the crank a couple turns before I get on it to ride or just simply roll it around... if I think about it. It still catches me every great once-in-awhile.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-12-21 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-12-21, 04:35 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Short chainstays exacerbate chain deflection, and backward rotation of the wheel facilitates derailment.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-12-21, 07:09 PM
akirapuff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Short chainstays exacerbate chain deflection, and backward rotation of the wheel facilitates derailment.
what is chain deflection?
Old 11-12-21, 07:09 PM
akirapuff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Am I seeing Di2? Although your description of when you dropped chains didn't sound like the same as mine, when I first got Di2 in March or 2020, I had a rash of chain drops. I finally figured out that as I was getting on and off the bike I was unknowingly pressing the shift levers. Once I taught myself not to do that the chain drops stopped.

If I ever suspect that I pushed them by accident when moving the bike around the house, garage or loading on and off the car, then I lift the back wheel and spin the crank a couple turns before I get on it to ride or just simply roll it around... if I think about it. It still catches me every great once-in-awhile.
I am not accidently shifting when this happens
Old 11-13-21, 03:08 AM
akirapuff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
ah okay. So just to be clear, Im not doing anything wrong, it just does this in this gear.
Likes For akirapuff:
Old 11-13-21, 08:34 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
what is chain deflection?
When the line the chain takes from the front chainring to whichever rear sprocket is not parallel to the axis of the frame. The further off the frame axis this line is, the more likely it is for the chain to derail. Short chainstays and extreme gear selection (small front to small back, or large front to large back) exacerbate this.
Old 11-14-21, 06:43 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
A video from below would make the cause more obvious. As stated above, it seems like you have a combination of a short chainstay and cross-chaining going on. You should be able to see the chain "miss" the big ring and fall onto the small ring. The bike industry wants you to believe that bicycle drivetrains (bicycles in general) are a solved problem but quite frankly, the derailleur system is just a bodge that got really, really out of hand.

What bike do you have, and what's the chainstay length?
Old 11-15-21, 09:26 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
ah okay. So just to be clear, Im not doing anything wrong, it just does this in this gear.
Sometimes bad things happen to good people, but if this "happens all the time", I'd be looking for ways to prevent it. Maybe don't leave your bike in the big-big gear when you're not actively pedalling forward. And if you're in the habit of choosing that as a gear for starting, I'd pick a different gear combination. There should be an equivalent gear combination in the small ring that runs the chain straighter.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-24-21, 05:19 PM
akirapuff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The hub will spin backward by itself if the chain is about to come off any of the crank ring from the bottom.

For the chain to come off from the bottom of the big ring and straight to the frame, skipping the small ring, then you are somehow or something is pushing the chain sideways towards the frame at the bottom while you move the bike around.

By any chance you're carrying the bike with the drive side facing you? Your legs could be pushing the chain in without you noticing it. OR something on the ground is coming into contact with the chain as you move the bike around.

The only time the chain can come off by its own is due to "cross chaining" if the chain is on the big ring and also the biggest sprocket at the back (in terms of physical size). But since you mention the smallest rear ring, it is really weird the chain is getting to the frame instead.
Im sorry, I shouldve not said the smallest rear ring. I meant the biggest sprocket in terms of size ( smallest gear ). Only in this combination does the chain come off. So which means I have a cross chaining problem. Okay understood, I will try to avoid this combination. Thank you guys !
Old 11-24-21, 06:17 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
At the very end of each ride I shift onto the small chain ring (34T) and the fourth largest rear cog (19T) to reduce chain tension and maintain a more or less straight chain line before I hang my bike up.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-24-21, 08:12 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
I do that too for the same reason I worry that my plastic RD might deform more over time if left at higher tension.
Really!? Is your RD really that flimsy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.