Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from the Space Coast

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 11-08-21, 02:03 PM
Spacecoaster

Bikes: 1987 Raleigh USA Grand Prix; 2003 Gary Fisher Wahoo; 2001 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all. I recently purchased a 1986 Raleigh USA Grand Prix in seamist. While I was trying to find information on it, I kept coming back to this site to read up on it. I figured I might as well join. My current bikes are the '86 Raleigh and an '03 Gary Fisher Wahoo. I'm just a hobbyist biker but I've enjoyed biking since I could figure out how to ride them without training wheels. I bought my first road bike in 1981 when I was in 7th grade. It was a badly repainted Free Spirit that I bought for $10 from cutting lawns. In college I graduated to a Giant mountain bike that I bought new in the spring of 1992. I can't remember the model. It was a big source of joy for me while I was at the University of Alabama. After I got married, I wound up selling it at a yard sale on the cheap but after a couple of years, I wound up buying the Wahoo from a guy that rejuvinated bikes in Birmingham, AL. I think he supplied bikes to half the students at UAB. I'm back in my home state of Florida and lately I've found myself itching for an old road bike. When I was tooling around on my crappy Free Spirit, my friends were blazing by me in their Raleighs and Nishikis. I saw what I felt was a good deal on the '86 Grand Prix. The bike isn't mint but it looks just shy of immaculate. The previous owner upgraded the seat and the pedals to Forte clipless pedals, otherwise it looks stock. The previous owner had suffered some medical set backs that wasn't going to allow him to ride anymore. I'm glad to be the Raleigh's next owner. I've taken out a few times and it rides beautifully. The only set back is me realizing how out of shape I've let myself get. Hopefully, I can work on changing that. Anyway, hoping to learn a few things from you all.

PS, I tried to post a pic but I'm not up to 10 posts yet.
Old 11-08-21, 07:29 PM
Hasek

Bikes: 1997 or 6 Giant Rincon, 2015 Surly LHT, 1999 Schwinn Peloton.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Hi Spacecoaster. Nishikis in Brevard? I thought all that was down here is low end and and 4 figure bikes
Old 11-08-21, 10:02 PM
Spacecoaster

Bikes: 1987 Raleigh USA Grand Prix; 2003 Gary Fisher Wahoo; 2001 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hasek
Hi Spacecoaster. Nishikis in Brevard? I thought all that was down here is low end and and 4 figure bikes
Thats very true about everything in Brevard.
I was an Orange County Rat back then.