Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

How rough is too rough?

Old 11-14-21, 05:29 PM
returnoftheyeti

Bikes: Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 19 Posts
How rough is too rough?

So I have a new Diverge Comp Carbon with the future shock. I am starting to get comfortable riding down the steep fire roads at a pretty good pace. Of course they are rutted and washboard and basically **** roads. Do I have to worry about a road being too rough for this bike? Or, as long as I can hang on its all good?

How much is too much for this bike?
Likes For returnoftheyeti:
Old 11-14-21, 09:41 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
So I have a new Diverge Comp Carbon with the future shock. I am starting to get comfortable riding down the steep fire roads at a pretty good pace. Of course they are rutted and washboard and basically **** roads. Do I have to worry about a road being too rough for this bike? Or, as long as I can hang on its all good?

Pretty sure the bike will be fine - how much is too rough is up to you! I ride my rigid steel gravel rigs everywhere I used to mountain bike, and sometimes meet folks out there on full sus bikes baffled at what I'm doing. It's just a different style of riding. Pick good lines, jump over ruts if you can, stay loose, and get it!
Old 11-15-21, 05:44 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti

I've got the same frame (Fact9R layup). I ride mine on pretty much anything, and I'm not delicate about it. My only gripe was the heavy wheelset it came spec'd with, swapped it for a much lighter DT Swiss GRC1400 set, made riding the rougher stuff much easier.
Old 11-15-21, 07:31 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I think you'll read in the fine print that it is not designed for large jumps - so as long as you don't send it (or crash), you'll be fine.
Likes For chas58:
Old 11-16-21, 12:49 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
To be clear, returnoftheyeti, and pivoting off of the post above this one, the bike has limits, but if you ride it within it's intended design, you'll likely reach your limits before the bike reaches its limits.
Old 11-16-21, 09:29 AM
returnoftheyeti

Bikes: Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
To be clear, returnoftheyeti, and pivoting off of the post above this one, the bike has limits, but if you ride it within it's intended design, you'll likely reach your limits before the bike reaches its limits.

Pretty much what I figured. I will reach my limits before the bike limits.

Thx
Old 11-17-21, 01:33 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I find bones break before bikes, usually lol
Old 11-17-21, 02:47 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 1,921 Times in 1,205 Posts
I think this is like how to torque a bolt without a torque wrench (screw it in until the head breaks off, and stop screwing the replacement 1/4 turn sooner).

Ride the Diverge until you or it breaks, then don't ride that route again.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-17-21, 02:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
I doubt the frame will fail, you will likely see issues with the wheels, rear wheel especially, before anything else breaks. f]Factory wheels never last.
Old 11-17-21, 03:06 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I think this is like how to torque a bolt without a torque wrench (screw it in until the head breaks off, and stop screwing the replacement 1/4 turn sooner).Ride the Diverge until you or it breaks, then don't ride that route again.
some lessons are learned the hard way

Old 11-17-21, 03:25 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I dunno, I have bikes where i have replaced everything except for the handlebars. I guess I'm rough on my stuff. ;-)