Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2016 Fuji Grandfondo 2.0 LE vs. 2016 Trek Emonda SL5

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-21, 08:30 PM
Core Creek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which would you prefer? The Trek has 105 components and the Fuji has Ultegra. But I believe the Trek has the lighter and better constructed frame? Both are used and from 2016, and the Fuji is listed a good $500 cheaper. I worry about “you get what you pay for”. Am I better off spending the extra $ and getting the Trek? I ride a ton in the warm weather, even done a couple of centuries, and have a couple of competitive triathlons planned next summer… it’s time to move up to a carbon frame, but I don’t want a TT bike and I don’t want to have to upgrade again for at least a couple of years.
Old 11-20-21, 07:13 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Fuji probably was $500 cheaper from the start .... you pay a nameplate penalty with trek. if the components are in good shape, 6800 vs 5800? both excellent but who wouldn't prefer Ultegra?

Why do you think the Trek frame is better? Not saying it isn't just never heard much about that. Likely they came from the same Taiwan-based manufacturer and were both constructed in China ......

As far as weight .... you can weigh them both and make that call .... are the wheels comparable? Would you be swapping in other wheels or cockpit parts?

I'd imagine (but admittedly do not know) that both frames would be fine for you ...... I haven't heard about issues with either. And since these are older bikes, wear and tear probably matters more than initial quality. Headset and bottom-bracket bearings? Signs of crash damage or high mileage?

Ultimately I think you should choose the one that makes you Feel best. if you try to make a purely rational decision based on so little actual evidence, you will probably always be second-guessing yourself. Likely they are so nearly equivalent that paint color is the biggest factor.
Old 11-20-21, 08:10 AM
Core Creek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Fuji probably was $500 cheaper from the start .... you pay a nameplate penalty with trek. if the components are in good shape, 6800 vs 5800? both excellent but who wouldn't prefer Ultegra?

Why do you think the Trek frame is better? Not saying it isn't just never heard much about that. Likely they came from the same Taiwan-based manufacturer and were both constructed in China ......

As far as weight .... you can weigh them both and make that call .... are the wheels comparable? Would you be swapping in other wheels or cockpit parts?

I'd imagine (but admittedly do not know) that both frames would be fine for you ...... I haven't heard about issues with either. And since these are older bikes, wear and tear probably matters more than initial quality. Headset and bottom-bracket bearings? Signs of crash damage or high mileage?

Ultimately I think you should choose the one that makes you Feel best. if you try to make a purely rational decision based on so little actual evidence, you will probably always be second-guessing yourself. Likely they are so nearly equivalent that paint color is the biggest factor.
Thanks for the feedback. The issue is I can’t really try them out side by side. I’m heading out for the day for a show 3.5 hours away and I broadened my Craigslist search and found the Fuji a good 3 hour drive from me (heading that way anyway). The owner of the Trek isn’t around until next week (and is only about an hour away).

My concern is I can’t find the specific model the seller listed for the Fuji. I have read around here that the Trek SL frame is a significant step up from the regular S frame, but is is better than the Fuji?? I just can’t find out. But yeah, Ultegra vs. 105 is a no brainer. The Fuji though has an FSA crank and I just don’t know anything about FSA.

In reality, I suspect I can get the Trek for about $1300, and the Fuji for $1000, so more like a $300 difference and at a price that close, I’d rather get the Trek if it’s better, and I just can’t tell. What sells me on the Fuji is the frame geometric is designed more for endurance, and since I love distance riding it might just be the best choice.

Well, I arranged to meet the Fuji owner this afternoon. If it looks good I’ll probably go that route, and the Trek is a backup if the Fuji isn’t up to par.

Thanks again!
Old 11-21-21, 07:18 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I have a 2017 (?) Fuji Sportif, which is the same bike in aluminum instead of CF. It has an FSA crank and Spyre mech discs, otherwise it is all 105. I cannot say enough good things about it. I have never felt a need to swap the crank, never felt it do anything it shouldn't .... and it is my work/rain/cargo bike so it gets all the worst assignments. It is amazingly comfortable---to me. Your mileage will, of course, vary.

I have never owned an Emonda so I cannot help with the comparison. I can say the FSA cranks would not be an issue for me.
Old 11-21-21, 08:41 AM
Core Creek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I figured I’d make an update. I checked out the Fuji yesterday…. It wasn’t for me. For starters, the brakes were Tektro, not Ultegra, which felt like a real downgrade. Reading around here they’re closer to 105, and most say 105 is superior. Also the rear derailer had some cosmetic damage which implied the bike was laid down at some point. Also the crank made some weird noises and it was the clear the bike hadn’t been well maintained. The seller did have some cool carbon aero bars added, and a carbon seat post, but the bike still felt pretty heavy to me. And overall, the geometry just felt weird… almost like a hybrid. For $1000 it didn’t feel like it was worth it.

I was able to hit my local bike shop before I left and I talked with the guy I trust over there who said the SL5 is definitely a better frame, and on that alone, probably the better purchase. Seeing the Fuji has pushed me in that direction. I’m trying to negotiate a fair price on the Trek and that’s probably where I’ll end up.

Thanks for the input.!
Old 11-21-21, 10:15 PM
Maelochs

Glad you got the important info and will get a better bike.
Old 11-24-21, 11:15 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Core Creek
For starters, the brakes were Tektro, not Ultegra, which felt like a real downgrade. Reading around here they’re closer to 105, and most say 105 is superior.
Rim brake calipers all work well and shouldn't be a deciding factor here. Tektro makes some nice brakes that work well. Replacing calipers is dirt cheap any way.
Also the rear derailer had some cosmetic damage which implied the bike was laid down at some point. Also the crank made some weird noises and it was the clear the bike hadn’t been well maintained.
These are better reasons to avoid buying.
And overall, the geometry just felt weird… almost like a hybrid. For $1000 it didn’t feel like it was worth it.
This is the biggest difference between these bikes. The Emonda is a stiff, aggressive race bike with a short head tube. Unless you want to run a bunch of spacers, make sure that's what you want.

I was able to hit my local bike shop before I left and I talked with the guy I trust over there who said the SL5 is definitely a better frame, and on that alone, probably the better purchase. Seeing the Fuji has pushed me in that direction. I’m trying to negotiate a fair price on the Trek and that’s probably where I’ll end up.
This is questionable. Fuji frames are hardly garbage. Also, the Emonda has both Trek's (semi-infamous) BB90 bottom bracket and an integral seatmast. Both are close to deal killers for me personally. Just my opinion.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 11-25-21, 08:02 AM
Maelochs

Yeah .... they are completely different bikes. One is "endurance"-geometry and one is low-and-long race geometry. They are like a Phillips and a flat screwdriver---not interchangeable. But Fuji makes good stuff---and like Giant, they charge less because they don't have a big name but offer all the value.

IMO
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-19-21, 04:58 AM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Fuji

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yeah .... they are completely different bikes. One is "endurance"-geometry and one is low-and-long race geometry. They are like a Phillips and a flat screwdriver---not interchangeable. But Fuji makes good stuff---and like Giant, they charge less because they don't have a big name but offer all the value.

IMO
Get what feels the most comfortable for you to ride. Fuji makes Awesome bike, I have a 2013 Fuji SST 3.0, which I love. Its a more aggressive sprinters frame set up compared to a Grand Fondo. Most important is to get what you want and makes you happy.