Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I stink

Old 11-21-21, 08:05 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I stink

Literally
after any strenuous ride in my cycling jerseys I am surprised how pungent my jersey’s underarms get (yet my underarms don’t seem to smell much at all). This never seems to happen with cotton T-shirt’s.

is this peculiar to me or to synthetic materials?

anyone else surprised by their post ride aroma?
Old 11-22-21, 06:03 AM
mikethe

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found using softener in the washer actually enhancing the problems with those dry fit sport clothing
Old 11-22-21, 06:10 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Eat less Red meat. Red Meat tends to make some cyclist "smell" after their ride. I'm not sure why this happens but I have experience some bike riders after they ride. Man, that smell is "special".
Old 11-22-21, 07:33 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
The short answer is synthetic fabrics tend to smell worse. Fabrics that do not absorb water still absorb body oils during exercise. They also are harder to clean. Lots of good articles on this on the interwebs.
Old 11-22-21, 08:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Eat less Red meat. Red Meat tends to make some cyclist "smell" after their ride. I'm not sure why this happens but I have experience some bike riders after they ride. Man, that smell is "special".
That's never been conclusively proven. Articles cite one small study (only 30 men) that suggests eating red meat can produce increased body odor. There are other causes, like fish and cruciferous vegetables.

5 Foods That Can Increase Your Body Odor | Next Avenue
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-22-21, 08:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
you're not alone. been there, done that

odor comes from decaying bacteria. your current clothing may be a lost cause. shower more or better & wash your garments immediately after rides. I have a small spray bottle of liquid laundry detergent which I sometimes use on armpits. one doesn't need expensive stain removers unless you are trying to salvage ruined clothing. I had a shirt one time that I really liked but it got to a point where I couldn't wear it w/o it smelling. it required repeated special treatments to unlock & remove the bacteria & dried deodorant that built up under the arms. I got it better but eventually moved on to other shirts. I have since figured out how to avoid the problem. 1 tip, if you can't do a load of laundry immediately after a ride, at least take some soap & water to the armpits before tossing in the hamper. but try to wash it the next day
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-22-21, 09:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Use some oxyclean or other non-chlorine bleach that has Oxy in it's name. The sodium percarbonate is also a sanitizer as well as a color safe bleaching agent.

I actually only use oxyclean when I wash my cycling clothes and I've never noticed that odors hang on to my cycling clothes. But maybe that's because odors tend to hang on me when I sweat for long periods. <grin>
Old 11-22-21, 09:55 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Agree with synthetic fabrics stink.

Likes For datlas:
Old 11-22-21, 09:56 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Literally
after any strenuous ride in my cycling jerseys I am surprised how pungent my jersey’s underarms get (yet my underarms don’t seem to smell much at all). This never seems to happen with cotton T-shirt’s.

is this peculiar to me or to synthetic materials?

anyone else surprised by their post ride aroma?
Bacteria like synthetics..............nasty smelly ones

https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128...rmanently=true
Old 11-22-21, 10:33 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I suffer from the smellies as well. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes but when I shower after a ride I toss my cycling gear into the shower and wash as much of the salt and sweat out as I can. Squeeze out excess water, roll in towel, hang on drying rack.
Old 11-22-21, 11:08 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
They do sell sleeveless cycling jerseys.
Old 11-22-21, 11:22 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
I suffer from the smellies as well. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes but when I shower after a ride I toss my cycling gear into the shower and wash as much of the salt and sweat out as I can. Squeeze out excess water, roll in towel, hang on drying rack.

I did that for quite a long time as well, but determined that things were not getting clean enough, contributing to smell, & even crotch funk.

Getting better results with normal machine wash & dry, permanent press cycle.

+1 on the oxy bleach to hopefully get back to baseline of no smell.
Old 11-22-21, 11:26 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
They do sell sleeveless cycling jerseys.
What are we, some god-forsaken triathletes?
Old 11-22-21, 11:34 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
When washing my cloths I found that a good full second rinse helps allot. Modern day washers are designed to conserve water. If you look closely at your modern day washer cycle you will notice that the level of water in your rinse cycle is at a bare minimum to take the soap out. The soap has the oils and sweat locked into it. My solution was to go for not just a second rinse but a full wash cycle to get all the soap out.

I start the wash cycle with soap. After the wash cycle starts I wait a few minutes for the soap to do its stuff, about 3 min of churning. I then drain and spin then start again with a full wash cycle. This has been the only way for me to get all the soap out of my clothing without beating my cloths to death.

Synthetic clothing that has elastic and can be extra hard to clean because the relaxed spandex traps the oils and sweat. The problem is if you use stronger detergents or bleach you kill the elastic fibers too. If this is the problem then hand washing the item in a solution of BORAX and gently stretching the clothing to get the solution deep into the material will do the job.

Here's another one. Had a guy leave his kit outside on the lawn chair to air out after a ride. It was promptly nailed by a male cat then followed by his dog who actually tried to bury it afterwards... Ha. Anyway, he could not get the cat smell out. He finally soaked the items in a dish pan with 1/4 cup solution of Enzymatic Cat Urine treatment. He said it worked excellently and he also uses it for the inside of his salt water fishing shoes.
Old 11-22-21, 11:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
Those of us who tour often do that. I actually start the shower with my bibs on. Jersey I take off first because it can be more difficult to do so when wet.
Old 11-22-21, 12:35 PM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Tide Plus Febreze Sport. You can't just do a rinse every time.
Old 11-22-21, 01:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,600 Times in 5,946 Posts
I always hang my jerseys and bibs up to dry as soon as I get home from a ride. Once dry, I hang them in the closet, separated so I know which have been worn. Then once a week I wash everything. Bacteria don't thrive in dry anything.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-22-21, 03:31 PM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Yep, it probably was funky when you put it on, and the heat and moisture turned up the smell. Put in a bucket, add some water, and then enough ordinary white vinegar for at least a 50/50 mix. Soak overnight, then wash as usual, extra rinse no softener. I usually do this about twice a season.
Old 11-22-21, 03:56 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
When washing my cloths I found that a good full second rinse helps allot. Modern day washers are designed to conserve water. If you look closely at your modern day washer cycle you will notice that the level of water in your rinse cycle is at a bare minimum to take the soap out. The soap has the oils and sweat locked into it. My solution was to go for not just a second rinse but a full wash cycle to get all the soap out.

I start the wash cycle with soap. After the wash cycle starts I wait a few minutes for the soap to do its stuff, about 3 min of churning. I then drain and spin then start again with a full wash cycle. This has been the only way for me to get all the soap out of my clothing without beating my cloths to death.
Definitely at least a second rinse cycle or even a second full wash cycle without laundry detergent, then hang dry immediately after cycle ends.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-22-21, 03:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by genejockey
I always hang my jerseys and bibs up to dry as soon as I get home from a ride. Once dry, I hang them in the closet, separated so I know which have been worn. Then once a week I wash everything. Bacteria don't thrive in dry anything.
But this still means that the bacteria and other microbes thrive while your jerseys and bibs are drying.
Old 11-22-21, 04:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Fire is the best tool for removing dork discs and BO. 🔥
Old 11-22-21, 04:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,600 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
But this still means that the bacteria and other microbes thrive while your jerseys and bibs are drying.
As opposed to being tossed in a hamper or left in a pile someplace.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-22-21, 04:50 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
You might find being clean & showered before beginning any exercise will help.

A lot of commercial detergents are overpriced with the ingredients maximally stretched for "value" and an added innocuous scent to cover up the absence of clean. About 3/4 to 4/5 bar of Fels-Naptha or a full bar of Zote, 2 cups of washing soda & a cup & a half of Borax will make 5 gallons of HE non-sudsing laundry detergent & cost about $0.02/load.

IME: It's safe to use double in the machine. Setting the machine to "heavy soil" also usually adds an extra rinse cycle. For problematicly stinky funk from improper care, any funky item can be run through 2 wash cycles before setting aside to hang dry. That seems to dislodge any stuck funk.

Machine dry seems to "lock in the flavor," so to speak.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-22-21, 06:44 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Fire is the best tool for removing dork discs and BO. 🔥
My butane torch is reserved for cooking. Perhaps hanging cycling gear inside out to dry in the sun's UV rays for a few hours is sufficient.

Originally Posted by base2
You might find being clean & showered before beginning any exercise will help.
Nice dig!

Originally Posted by base2
Machine dry seems to "lock in the flavor," so to speak.
There is no need to machine dry any sweat wicking synthetic fiber athletic wear.
Old 11-22-21, 07:06 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Shower before a ride. It helps with clothes getting smelly, saddle sores forming (less bacteria to start the party) and so on and so forth.

I have a small dedicated hamper for cycling/triathlon kit and try to wash it as soon as possible. Some guys I know rinse their kit in the shower after a ride.

If your kit has absorbed the smell, it's probably beyond saving. Better materials do seem to be more resistant to starting to smell, I have some free dry-fit running shirts which you get on various races and they are far more prone to starting to smell than quality triathlon kit.
​​​​​​
I wash all the kit in the washing machine on the default sportswear setting and hang in the sun to dry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.