Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bottecchia

Old 12-04-21, 05:40 PM
davzimmermann

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone X05, '04 Cannondale F2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bottecchia

I am on the hunt again, and I came across this Bottecchia. i had one back in the 90s and foolishly let it go.

Thoughts? Advice? I’m a bit worried this is just nostalgia.

Old 12-04-21, 06:10 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
I’m no expert but I don’t think Bottecchia ever used those wrap around seat stays, unless it was on lower end models

Interesting mix of parts with a Victory crank, Athena brake calipers and Time pedals.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 12-04-21, 06:35 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
I agree with BGirl, the wrap around stays don't belong. With that in mind and considering the mixture of components, it would be hard to say what the bike is. It does look to be in nice shape and, unless you seek an original vintage steed, it might prove to be a worth while purchase for an around town ride. Were it me, however, and at the price asked, I would definitely pass.

As for the nostalgia concern, yes and no. For some people, yes but for many of us, my guess is just an interest in finding, building and riding something that exudes vintage appeal.
Old 12-04-21, 06:37 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,288 Times in 2,148 Posts
-----

appears a midliner model with very mixed kitting

if i were shopping for one would likely look for an example with a coherent road ensemble

for a midliner such as this it might mean a Campag Victory one

am unable to tell from image if seat stay treatment is full wraparound or a semi

suggest to keep shopping...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 12-04-21, 09:53 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
The Bottechias from the mid to late 80's did have tapering upper seat stay ends that semi-wrap around the front of the seat lug, as you can see on my 1989 Bottechia Professional Chorus SL:

I suspect that. the subject bike is the model right below mine and might have Cromor tubing. But I definitely think it's a genuine late 80's Bottecchia. And could be an 89 like mine.
Price is a bit high for a mid line model. Maybe $400.00, max, if in mint condition. More like $350.00 in "rider" condition. Less if the components are not all original, like on the subject bike.

Last edited by Chombi1; 12-04-21 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-05-21, 05:29 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
^ beautiful bike and wearing my favorite group

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-06-21, 09:07 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
I concur with Chombi1, it does appear to legitimate. The stay caps did wrap over a bit but not touch and that turquoise is a known factory colour. Also, it has the proper embossed "B" on the fork crown. In addition to the Cromor decal, I see what appears to be an 80th anniversary decal between the shift levers, which would make it a 1989 model. If so, that increases the value somewhat, as 1989 is the year that Greg Lemond won the Tour de France and World Championships riding a Bottechhia.

As noted by juvela, the components are a jumble. The original group would have been Campagnolo Athena, which is what the brakeset appears to be. The Victory crankset would be a replacement but level appropriate, as would be the 1990+ Shimano 105SC derailleurs. The latter was a fairly common upgrade, due the relatively poor indexing of the Campagnolo Athena rear derailleur with the Syncro II shift levers.

It's a nice, mid-range model, from a well repected brand, from a significant year but with a real component mix. As for price, despite the model year, it seems quite high.