Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suggestions to MKS for their pedals...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-21, 06:58 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts

I've been using MKS AR-2 Ezy pedals on my commuter bike for many years. Here are my respectful requests to the manufacturer:
1) Please, PLEASE make the pedal axles and couplers of stainless steel! I ride all year in Chicago, and there's a fair amount of corrosion that results from exposure to water and salt.
2) It would be great to have easily removable end caps for better serviceability.
3) Better pedal axle seals would help extend the service intervals.

These pedals have about 20,000 miles on them. They have been rebuilt several times, with re-surfacing of the inboard (crank-facing) axle bearings and replacement of all the balls. The pedal pictured here was damaged so that the end cap would no longer stay in. In spite of being open to the elements for several winter months, the outboard bearing was still well-greased compared to the inboard bearing. I've improvised an end cap out of an aluminum pan.
The couplers have been replaced because one of them cracked. I try to keep them coated with chain lube, but if the parts were made of stainless steel, their up-keep would be much easier.

A more robust end cap would be nice.

Pedal axle and coupler parts are susceptible to rust. They should be made of stainless steel.

This pedal coupler developed a crack, probably from stress risers caused by corrosion.
Old 12-05-21, 07:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
The problem with asking a manufacturer to make a longer lasting product is that they then get less future sales of that product. It is easy to think that long lived products are highly valued, but what really sells is the sizzle. The hype of going faster, going bigger, weighing less and not remaining the same forever. Andy (who has a pair of MKS Esquartz pedals looking for the right home)
Old 12-05-21, 07:24 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26408 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
...they make an AR-2 without the easy in and out coupling. Fewer moving parts = more durable assembly. Is your commuter situation such that you really need this feature ?

Making the coupler parts out of stainless would increase the cost beyond what most of us are willing to pay for these.
Old 12-05-21, 08:06 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
It is easy to think that long lived products are highly valued, but what really sells is the sizzle.
<sigh> Yes, I realize this is a dream. It's hard to have really good pedals (Shimano SPD) that rarely need service (and can be easily serviced when necessary) and not wish for the same properties in the pedals I use daily.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Is your commuter situation such that you really need this feature ?
It's a folder. Only one pedal actually needs to fold, but it's essential.

So it looks like I will just keep these pedals going as long as I can... so far, so good.
Old 12-06-21, 09:49 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

I wonder if the new coupler would fit your old pedal
Old 12-07-21, 09:36 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
No, that’s their cheap light pedal, if they do as you bid, not that they actually will, it won’t be cheap. Just buy another set, or buy one of their better pedals.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 12-07-21 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-07-21, 02:04 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Originally Posted by tkamd73
No, that’s their cheap light pedal, if they do as you bid, not that they actually will, it won’t be cheap. Just buy another set, or buy one of their better pedals.
Tim
I know we all have a perspective on cheap, but I don’t think there are any cheap MKS rinko pedals
Old 12-07-21, 02:20 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Extreme conditions = Shorten your service interval times...
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 12-07-21, 03:00 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I know we all have a perspective on cheap, but I don’t think there are any cheap MKS rinko pedals
OK, cheap within the family of MKS pedals.
Tim
Old 12-07-21, 03:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
20,000 miles and I'd be wanting something new and pretty well before then. If for no other reason than just to have something to do for my bike. Though in truth, I'd probably have a new bike since riding the same thing year after year gets old and the grass is greener thing and just new bike fever in general starts to take hold of me.
Old 12-08-21, 02:05 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Originally Posted by tkamd73
OK, cheap within the family of MKS pedals.
Tim

Your post made me do some research, my pedals are low end rinko and are not compatible with high end rinko. I have never turned to this forum for highend/boutique stuff but I’ve been proven wrong, I can’t buy the “real” rinko stuff from any popular American or German websites. TBH I have the same pedals in both quick release and fixed and they are stellar

Thanks for the education