Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How Many Pairs Of Road Shoes Do You Have?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How Many Pairs Of Road Shoes Do You Have?

Old 11-28-22, 05:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,578 Posts
3 road shoes and 1 pair of MTB shoes
Old 11-29-22, 08:06 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
I have 1 pair that is still going strong after ~8 years. I’d love another pair, but have no real reason to buy them.
Likes For thin_concrete:
Old 11-30-22, 09:42 AM
AnthonyE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Currently have 3 pairs. 2 Road shoes using SPD-SL which is by far the best system for road. And 1 "gravel" shoe using SPD. I only use 1 of the road shoes, Lake CX238 as my feet are very wide. My gravel shoe is far too narrow, they are the Pearl Izumi Gravel X. I wanted to love them as they are pretty light weight and have a very stiff sole. But my feet don't cooperate with them. Unfortunately I don't have any local bike shops to try shoes on therefore struggle to find shoes that fit. I'm not sure why more shoe companies don't do what Lake does and give dimensions of their shoes. I'm personally of the opinion that cycling shoes are all way too narrow. I have wide feet but I can't imagine the majority of cyclists have the super narrow feet some of these companies are designing their shoes around. Numb feet might be the most common and worst feeling on bike.
Likes For AnthonyE:
Old 12-02-22, 09:47 PM
matt92037

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
100% agree. Most shoes are way to narrow for me and shimano’s wide offerings are a joke. I also went with 238W’s and just picked up a wide pair of Lake 168 Enduros for MTB. The fact that Lake publishes the measurements for all their shoes it makes purchasing different models on different lasts a cinch.

Originally Posted by AnthonyE
Currently have 3 pairs. 2 Road shoes using SPD-SL which is by far the best system for road. And 1 "gravel" shoe using SPD. I only use 1 of the road shoes, Lake CX238 as my feet are very wide. My gravel shoe is far too narrow, they are the Pearl Izumi Gravel X. I wanted to love them as they are pretty light weight and have a very stiff sole. But my feet don't cooperate with them. Unfortunately I don't have any local bike shops to try shoes on therefore struggle to find shoes that fit. I'm not sure why more shoe companies don't do what Lake does and give dimensions of their shoes. I'm personally of the opinion that cycling shoes are all way too narrow. I have wide feet but I can't imagine the majority of cyclists have the super narrow feet some of these companies are designing their shoes around. Numb feet might be the most common and worst feeling on bike.
Old 12-03-22, 03:35 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Road shoes, just two pair of the three-bolt types with those ridiculous protruding chunks of plastic that make walking an effete looking exercise in attention seeking when I'm going clippity-clop across the pub for a refill.

And I like both despite that. Same two pair I've had for years:
  • Scott Road Pro, a great summer shoe with only enough leatherette material for support, with plenty of breathable mesh, and generous metal mesh sole vents. They're designed sorta like sandals with mesh fabric for ventilation on non-support areas. Remarkably durable material -- I figured they'd wear through quickly but they're still fine after 5 years. Very comfy in Texas when temps routinely peak above 100F.
  • Fizik Tempo R5, with the Velcro straps. I got those on sale mostly wanting a winter shoe, as these have minimal tiny vent holes. Turns out the shoe is still quite comfy in summer. I bought these slightly oversize intending them to wear with thick wool socks or two pair of poly socks, so in summer with thin socks I add a thicker ProFoot Miracle insole and a Dr Scholl's moleskin heel wedge to take up the extra space. This Fizik upper is very tough, firm leather-like material that will probably be good for two more generations of riders if anyone cares to use 'em after I'm gone.

I use 'em mostly for solo fast/workout rides, especially for climbing workouts and intervals, or faster group rides when I'm sure the route will be all or mostly pavement. Neither pair shows any signs of wearing out so I might not need another pair of road shoes in my lifetime (I'm 65 so that's not much of an exaggeration).

I'll probably get some mountain bike type pedals, cleats and shoes for casual rides. Maybe. I'm still perfectly happy riding platform pedals on my hybrids, and might switch my old school steel road bike from Look Delta to platform pedals for casual group rides. I like iSSi Thump pedals. Nice big slightly concave surface, meshes well with any shoes I've worn from running shoes to my big heavy old Herman Survivor leather hiking boots in frigid weather.
Old 12-03-22, 02:22 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1878 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Two pairs: (1) Giro SLX and (2) Shimano R171. Both are brand new because I keep putting off learning how to ride clipless. But that is a new year resolution.
Old 12-03-22, 06:26 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyE
Currently have 3 pairs. 2 Road shoes using SPD-SL which is by far the best system for road. ...
Nah
Old 12-04-22, 07:54 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
one pair, which has lasted nicely for maybe 10k miles, but i have another of the same on deck in a half size larger since i don’t always trim my right big toenail regularly enough. in between sizes. can’t decide when to switch over since the old ones are still good and the new were bought at a big discount.

my feet have been cold a few times when soaking wet but i can’t imagine needing more than one pair of road shoes.
Old 12-13-22, 06:13 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I have two pairs so I can alternate between them. Leather shoes last a lot longer if not worn day after day whether socks are used or not. With this approach my shoes are less inclined to stretch and I get more life from them.
Old 12-13-22, 06:29 PM
BkSaGo

Bikes: CAAD9 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I was going to say just one, then realized I have three.
Bought a new pair for regular use this past spring, kept the old pair as backup and have another touring style pair I use occasionally.
Old 12-14-22, 08:03 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,369 Times in 1,917 Posts
Four here. One pair with metal, nailed-on cleats. Another with plastic cleats, so as not to wear out the cage plates on the fancy aluminum-cage pedals. A fleece-lined pair for winter riding. And one pair for those newfangled clipless pedals.

Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-23-22, 02:32 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 1,616 Times in 765 Posts
I have two pairs of cycling shoes, but I'm not really happy with either of them. One pair has a left shoe that is white with Shimano SPD-SL cleat, and the right shoe is black with Wahoo Speedplay cleat. The second pair has a right shoe that is white with SPD-SL cleat, and a left shoe that is black with Speedplay cleat.
I'm in the market for pair #3.
Old 12-28-22, 03:24 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I have zero, I don't ride clipless- hard enough finding regular shoes in my size, much less something specific.
Old 12-31-22, 10:42 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 2,735 Times in 526 Posts
I've just retired these Louis Garneau shoes I've used for work and thrashed to death, limping them to year end. They don't look too bad from above....

....but the heels are done for and have been letting in water, which in the UK in December has been falling out of the sky with customary regularity.

Which means I'm down to the following, 3 pairs of Sidi's, 2 pairs of Vittoria's, and pairs by Duegi, Maresi, Adidas and Gaerne.

Its been raining here for pretty much every day of the last week, and nobody likes getting into shoes still wet from the day before, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...and I have more bikes than shoes, so really that's not many at all
Old 01-17-23, 09:50 AM
biglmbass

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I've more shoes than bikes. Quite a few pairs of Sidi road & Mtn bike shoes. I go 1/2 size up for winter season to better accomodate thick/thicker socks.
Old 01-17-23, 09:57 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10249 Post(s)
Liked 11,607 Times in 5,950 Posts
One pair fewer than I need. I have one pair with Look Delta cleats for my C&V bikes and one pair with Keo cleats for my modern bikes, and the latter got SOAKED during a rainy ride Sunday. It'd be nice to have had a dry pair to do a ride yesterday, when it was nice out.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-17-23, 04:50 PM
teutoned
Sage Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by illjustride
Anyone ride with the same pair all year round? Was thinking of getting a black pair and a white pair for races and to match my different helmets. Curious what people are doing.
lol, I just counted the other day and landed at 8. I’m definitely a fashionista when it comes to cycling kit. Black shoes w/ black helmet. White shoes w/ white helmet. Don’t get me started on riders with socks that are all twisted and misaligned…
Old 01-18-23, 10:44 AM
VeloNewbie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I have 6 pairs. All Sidis. I use them all for road riding, but 2 of those pairs I use for gravel(SPD) as well. I'm kind of a shoe and kit snob LOL.
Old 01-20-23, 06:18 AM
StargazeCyclist

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
One pair of road shoes from Decathlon. Bought into the system because they cost $30 and I could try in store. I use SPD-SL.
Old 01-20-23, 02:56 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Two road shoes with SPD cleats. I bought SPD-SL pedals and cleats but have not put them on a bike as I realized it was like going back in time to metal cleats and pedal straps - no fun to walk in and easy to take a fall.

I have narrow feet and have found over the years that the Italian companies tend to have a narrower last than shoes made in other countries. With Shimano shoes the sizing is not at all uniform and 44 in one shoe is larger than a 45 in a differnt road shoe.

Moisture is bad for shoes and shortens their life so I alternate shoes as much as possible and started to wear cotton socks that absorb a fair amount of moisture.
Old 01-20-23, 03:08 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked 7,833 Times in 3,713 Posts
1 road, 1 MTB. Both are the same brand and model (Bont Riot+) but with different colors and different soles.
Old 04-26-23, 06:27 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
1 road cycling shoes, so far. Lake CX176 wide black Size 46EU 12.5US. Plan on getting a Lake wide off-road as well

Old 06-16-23, 07:23 AM
typ240

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
embarrassed to admit but I have 9 😩

4 Mavics, 3 Shimano, 2 S-works!
Old 06-16-23, 07:54 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Two. One for my race bikes with SPD-SL and a soft pair equipped with SPD for my commuter bike.
Old 06-17-23, 07:02 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Two pair
Sidi Shot Vent Carbon - for outdoor riding
Fizik R4B - when using my indoor training bike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.