Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Computer and phone mounts

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 01-29-23, 04:41 PM
duckbuster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone mount their cycling computer and phone, if so let’s see those setups. Have a Garmin 530 with out front mount but would also like to mount my iPhone as well. I run a short stem so mounting to a 80mm stem is not a good option.
Old 01-29-23, 05:26 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 240 Posts
For five years running, I use the Quad Lock system, even with an iPhone upgrade along the way.
It mounts on my stem and would certainly fit on an 80mm one. It centers the phone and holds it quite well.
I noticed a few other products on the market, lately, that look like they could capably secure a phone.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 01-31-23, 08:53 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Yeah, I've experimented with a few methods for mounting my phone. I've also got aerobars, which adds another wrinkle. I wrote about this in my blog, but the TL;DR is that the QuadLock system is good, the Peak Design system is very good.

You can get a Garmin "knuckle" to stick on the back of your phone case, and use any old Garmin mount, but I recommend against that. I've broken two Garmin "biscuits" that way, which I attribute to the fact that modern smartphones are heavier and have a greater moment of inertia, overstressing the mount.
Old 02-02-23, 10:26 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
For five years running, I use the Quad Lock system, even with an iPhone upgrade along the way.
It mounts on my stem and would certainly fit on an 80mm one. It centers the phone and holds it quite well.
I noticed a few other products on the market, lately, that look like they could capably secure a phone.
I would be careful. I bought the Quad Lock Stem/Handlebar mount thinking it would fit my FSA 80mm stem, but it didn't. I'm sure there are 80mm stems that have enough room for the mount, but mine isn't one of them.

Here's my current setup, using the Quad Lock Out Front Mount (OFM) Pro to hold my smartphone on top and my headlight on the bottom. I mount my Cateye computer on the stem. I bought the handlebar mount to see if it's more cconvenient to mount the phone closer to me and have the cycle computer farther away on an OFM. Since that didn't work, I guess I will stick with this configuration for now.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 02-04-23, 11:10 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Try this. https://www.amazon.com/Kbrotech-Hand...nder-Extension
Have similar on each of my bikes.
Old 02-04-23, 08:18 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 263 Posts
I put the knock block chip for the computer mount on my Fuel EX so I guess there is room on the bars for a phone. There is also a guy who sells an adhesive backed computer mount.

Old 03-11-23, 11:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by duckbuster
Does anyone mount their cycling computer and phone, if so let’s see those setups. Have a Garmin 530 with out front mount but would also like to mount my iPhone as well. I run a short stem so mounting to a 80mm stem is not a good option.
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to mount both to your handlebar? After all, the Garmin will show your incoming text messages and phone calls.