Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

My old Hetchins

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-20, 07:52 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Done't sell right now unless you have to. A curly stays heat treated Hitctins frame set with great paint and chrome should go for $500-600 local. Right now as things are $200-300 for the frame set maybe and $500 for the bike which is just sad. Wait 2 months tell after corna with Tax returns and stimulas checks in hand this one will likely sell for $1000=1200 local and as high as
$2000 ebay or $1500 here on the BF's.

Last edited by zukahn1; 03-31-20 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-01-20, 09:50 AM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Done't sell right now unless you have to. A curly stays heat treated Hitctins frame set with great paint and chrome should go for $500-600 local. Right now as things are $200-300 for the frame set maybe and $500 for the bike which is just sad. Wait 2 months tell after corna with Tax returns and stimulas checks in hand this one will likely sell for $1000=1200 local and as high as
$2000 ebay or $1500 here on the BF's.
Now, we live in tough times, but the market isn't THAAAAT bad... I would never list a curly Hetchins for $500 anywhere not expecting it to be gone by the evening... Hopefully we can see the bike soon!
Likes For SoccerBallXan:
Old 04-01-20, 10:52 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I don't think I've seen this bike before. It's beautiful. Plus your post reminds me that it's time to stock up on some more Guinness.
If this isn't someone's grail bike, I'll drink that beer! Oh, it's all gone, oh well!

edit: I meant to copy bianchigirll's beautiful Hetchins to this response, just for reference. She did an awesome job on the build.
Old 04-01-20, 03:58 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
A Hetchins MO phase II would be the one model of frame/bicycle I would most want if I as a collector. There must be others that feel the same. My opinion comes with the understanding that my choice is based on an available model and not just a special one-off by some fabulous builder. The Hetchins dot org site also identifies your frame as the most desirable of all Hetchins models. Because of that particular model's desirability, I recommend being careful how and who you sell it too. In other words choose wisely among the candidates for someone that has a passion for that particular model and not just a flipper stripping the parts off to make more money.

I'm not crazy about the more modern Magnum Opus Phase 3 models. They apply the stamped decorative pieces more liberally everywhere which gets to be too much for my taste. Also they ran out of 3/4" rapid taper chain stays and started using the standard 7/8" round/oval/round stays. In addition the twin plate 7/8" round fork blades and crown became normal continental ovals. That change isn't terrible but it isn't part of what made Hetchins unique. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures - which is about as close to actually getting a MO II as I'll ever get. Well that is not exactly true, I have a set of Hetchins MO lugs I could turn into a frame if I really wanted but I really don't want to.
Old 04-01-20, 06:26 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Noschwinns
...(and by the way, I believe it would have been around 60-61 cm; otherwise nothing to specifically identify it, just bright orange and full Campy Record) how does this new awareness affect your relationship with it and what, if anything, you may or will do about it?
Yes, a 60cm frame, with most parts sporting very faded black anodization.
I stripped the paint and re-chromed and re-painted in the original color and eventually sold it.
Brent
Old 01-06-23, 07:42 PM
Noschwinns

Bikes: 1968 Hetchins, 1968 Peugeot PX-10, 2016 Marin Pine Mountain One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Updating this thread: I just posted my Hetchins for sale on several Facebook sites. Finally I can offer you all a way to see photos of the bike.https://www.facebook.com/groups/63484018406
Fans of Hetchins Cycles

https://www.facebook.com/groups/127913704424100/
Vintage steel bike market - velo - rennrad - racebike - classic Basically the same post on each.
Thank you,
Allan
Old 01-06-23, 08:52 PM
Paul Waque 

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Maybe someone that has access to these Facebook groups can post pictures here.