Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Sciatica pain

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-22, 05:56 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
Sciatica pain

I didn't want to revive an old thread from last year (besides, the OP ended up not having sciatica) so here's my story.

I have suffered with sciatica induced pain on and off for years. However, recently, it had become more and more frequent, and lasted for much longer. Additionally, the pain in my piriformis muscle was making it impossible to find a comfortable position at all - standing, seated, lying flat, it made no difference. All the stretches, massage and heat that had helped in the past seemed to no longer work. I seriously considered surgical options, even though the thought of back surgery scares the daylights out of me.

Out of sheer desperation, I thought I would try one of those inversion tables (as seen on late night TV - won't mention the brand, as I don't want to sound like a commercial.) I was lucky enough to find one on CL located in my town. The gentleman who was selling it had bought it new, with all the accessories, failed to read the instructions and warnings, climbed aboard, and promptly flipped over backwards rapidly and hit his head on the floor. He decided it wasn't for him, and I got an incredible deal.

After reading the assembly and instruction manuals, I got it set up correctly and gave it a try. For me, it worked. Five minutes hanging stupidly looking like some type of bat three times a week, and I haven't experienced any pain for over a month now. I can actually swing my leg over my saddle again. Your results may vary, as they say, and always consult with your doctor prior to trying any equipment or treatment (that covers my butt!) However, I do NOT recommend using one shorty after consuming a satisfying meal.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-07-22, 07:45 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
My wife bought one and uses it from time to time for chronic neck and back pain. I did however try it last week when I had some neck pain from falling asleep in my den watching Wagon Train. It was a short lived relief that day and I tried it again the next day with the same results. But I do think it shortened the time it usually takes to get over this. I have been thinking about using it a few times a week to help my own hip pain. It only takes a few minutes.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-07-22, 09:17 PM
Pennman

Bikes: Marin hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Just an interesting note for you. I had the same problem. I thought I was done doing much of anything physical. I still don't know what changed things. Could be the way I slept or sneezed etc.. But, I woke up one morning and it was gone. Hard to believe but that was about 2 years ago and condition has never returned. I can tell you though that from that point on I'm very careful how I lift etc. Don't ever want to experience that again. I'm still amazed at what happened.
Likes For Pennman:
Old 03-07-22, 10:31 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Here's what worked for me, just for future readers of this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/21663035-post8.html
Old 03-08-22, 09:12 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I had some pretty bad sciatica pain last year, but in my case surgery was necessary since it was a bone spur causing the issue. Did you get an MRI?
Old 03-08-22, 11:27 AM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I hurt my back in '07. I now suffer through a 'back event' at least once per year, lasting about 6 weeks per occurrence. Christmas day, I coughed. MRI shows a herniation at L3/L4 which encompasses approx 50% of the space where the nerve root is supposed to be. The pain comes, it goes. Every morning I wake up hoping I can make it through the day and that the surgeon calls me to schedule surgery.

I did recently find the McGill 3 exercises to strengthen the core. I can't do all three yet, but hope this alleviates the symptoms so I can get to some sense of normalcy while I wait for the surgeon to clear enough of his backlog to get to my microdiscectomy.
Old 03-13-22, 08:08 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 258 Posts
I can relate to the OP. I have suffered with sciatica pain off and on for over 20 years. I've went injections and pain pills route for a long time. Like the OP I get relief from inversion, but from a Yoga Body yoga swing my kids got me for Christmas. I highly recommend one. Regular Yoga and the Yoga swing have helped me more than anything. I get lazy occasionally and slack off the therapy and the pain begins again.
Old 03-13-22, 08:22 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Tusk
I hurt my back in '07. I now suffer through a 'back event' at least once per year, lasting about 6 weeks per occurrence. Christmas day, I coughed. MRI shows a herniation at L3/L4 which encompasses approx 50% of the space where the nerve root is supposed to be. The pain comes, it goes. Every morning I wake up hoping I can make it through the day and that the surgeon calls me to schedule surgery.

I did recently find the McGill 3 exercises to strengthen the core. I can't do all three yet, but hope this alleviates the symptoms so I can get to some sense of normalcy while I wait for the surgeon to clear enough of his backlog to get to my microdiscectomy.
Have you tried Vitamin B-12. it works for me.

Old 03-22-22, 09:07 AM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I didn't know about the McKenzie stretches and will try them. I had a multi level lumbar fusion in 2012 due to bad sciatica. Currently I am in physical therapy for mild sciatica; they are concentrating on strengthening my core which has so far worked. I did find I could reduce sciatica symptoms by riding the bike and that helped for the 10 years leading up to the surgery.