Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Tips is dead, long live ????

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-23, 10:51 AM
GivememyC64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it affects us roadies I think. Not sure if you all have been following, but the content on cycling tips has fallen off a cliff lately. The parent company Outside laid off a bunch of staff, including the editor. And now there's nothing. Like one story a week. It sucks.

I'm bummed about it. In addition to lurking here (longtime lurker, first time poster) it was my morning routine.

Anybody know what all the writers who left are doing? Where can I get my fix?
Old 01-10-23, 12:14 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
From their site:

Dear CT readers,

In the coming weeks we are migrating the entire CT site over to a new platform within Outside. During this transition you will see some of the functionality and sections change while we complete this process. We are doing our best to make this as seamless as possible and please accept our apologies if there are any changes in your reading experience while we complete this task.

Thank you!

https://cyclingtips.com/2023/01/a-ne...ming%ef%bf%bc/
Old 01-10-23, 12:26 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I don't really understand the plan here for Outside, but it's sad to see CyclingTips swirling the drain. There are still a few talented writers there and hopefully they find a way to continue doing what they do.

Caley Fretz, along with a handful of others has continued to produce a podcast called "The Placeholders" which generally picks up where the CT weekly podcast left off - a heavy focus on pro racing with a little bit of tech/industry news sprinkled in.

He and Wade Wallace also seem to be up to something new soon:
Substack: https://substack.com/profile/2449888-wadewallace
Old 01-10-23, 12:38 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Some relevant discussion from November/Dec here: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ity-staff.html
Old 01-10-23, 12:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by GivememyC64
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it affects us roadies I think. Not sure if you all have been following, but the content on cycling tips has fallen off a cliff lately. The parent company Outside laid off a bunch of staff, including the editor. And now there's nothing. Like one story a week. It sucks.

I'm bummed about it. In addition to lurking here (longtime lurker, first time poster) it was my morning routine.

Anybody know what all the writers who left are doing? Where can I get my fix?
Wade Wallace, the guy who started Cycling Tips, just announced he is going to partner with Caley and they will create a subscription based cycling site. No details of who will join, but since Caley is hosting 'The Placeholder' with Dave Rome and Dane Cash, I would hope those two will have the option to join on.
As a podcast, The Placeholder is great. It isnt Nerd Alert and nothing will be as good as Nerd Alert until they pull James and Zach Edwards over, but The Placeholder is entertaining.
Old 01-10-23, 01:47 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Some relevant discussion from November/Dec here: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ity-staff.html
This.

Everything changes. Change is not always good. It happens.
Old 01-10-23, 01:52 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Elvis?
Old 01-10-23, 02:13 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

How about "Cycling Tips is Dead. Long Live BikeForums!"

Old 01-10-23, 02:47 PM
seypat

Old 01-10-23, 04:04 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
It seems Outside have shut down the Cycling Tips forum as of today also! I guess it was getting too anti-Outside in there (not surprisingly).

Change happens of course, but I do find this quite sad. Cycling Tips used to be my "go-to" place for road cycling coverage, tech reviews, a bit of humour, and some great journalism. And the Secret Pro of course!

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I don't really understand the plan here for Outside, but it's sad to see CyclingTips swirling the drain.
Neither do I. What have they gained from buying Cycling Tips? Just removing some competition?

What was the desired outcome for Outside regarding the CT purchase? 🤔
Old 01-10-23, 04:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
It seems Outside have shut down the Cycling Tips forum as of today also! I guess it was getting too anti-Outside in there (not surprisingly).

Change happens of course, but I do find this quite sad. Cycling Tips used to be my "go-to" place for road cycling coverage, tech reviews, a bit of humour, and some great journalism. And the Secret Pro of course!

Neither do I. What have they gained from buying Cycling Tips? Just removing some competition?

What was the desired outcome for Outside regarding the CT purchase? 🤔
Outside didnt buy CyclingTips. Outside bought PinkBike and with that purchase came CyclingTips.
Thats worth mentioning as it is a significant distinction.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-10-23, 05:15 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Outside didnt buy CyclingTips. Outside bought PinkBike and with that purchase came CyclingTips.
Thats worth mentioning as it is a significant distinction.
Ah yep, good point. Pinkbike seems to be thriving!
Old 01-11-23, 05:27 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 391 Posts
Long live Hambini and people that tell it like it is,
Old 01-11-23, 06:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Jughed
Long live Hambini and people that tell it like it is,
The pen is still working?
Old 01-11-23, 07:41 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by datlas
It should be. It's mighter than the sword, after all.
Old 01-11-23, 10:09 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 391 Posts
Yep, the hairdresser makes sure of it.
Old 01-11-23, 10:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Hambini is good for an observation or two in each video. You have to sit thru 20min of filler to get those little nuggets though.
I do chuckle every time he pulls up a brand's site and doesn't know what something is, then dismisses it as useless or guesses incorrectly.

You would think that videos which exist to show people what's wrong and how to correct the issues, would have more accuracy.

He tells it like he sees it, that's for sure. Whether that aligns with how it is though?...for sure hit and miss.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-11-23, 06:16 PM
GivememyC64

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Wade Wallace, the guy who started Cycling Tips, just announced he is going to partner with Caley and they will create a subscription based cycling site. No details of who will join, but since Caley is hosting 'The Placeholder' with Dave Rome and Dane Cash, I would hope those two will have the option to join on.
As a podcast, The Placeholder is great. It isnt Nerd Alert and nothing will be as good as Nerd Alert until they pull James and Zach Edwards over, but The Placeholder is entertaining.
This is what I was looking for, thanks!

Just read Wade and Caley's letter. I like the idea of it. If it means a big media title that isn't beholden to advertisers, that's good for all of us.
Old 01-11-23, 06:59 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
How about "Cycling Tips is Dead. Long Live BikeForums!"

wish that were true. Unfortunately, I think BF is just on a slower downward spiral.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 01-11-23, 07:58 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
wish that were true. Unfortunately, I think BF is just on a slower downward spiral.
What, you don't enjoy a good rim vs disc brakes thread? Or being told that you're a doofus for not riding a recumbent?
Old 01-11-23, 08:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Unfortunately true. The negativism, sniping and perpetual arguments by a handful of individuals really poison what could be a collegial, helpful site. I know I am spending far less time here because of it.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-12-23, 06:51 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Unfortunately true. The negativism, sniping and perpetual arguments by a handful of individuals really poison what could be a collegial, helpful site. I know I am spending far less time here because of it.
l don’t doubt that’s true. However, the arguments , sarcasm, banter can add to the entertainment value and keep people engaged, as long as it isn’t over the top and mean spirited.

I think the bigger problem is that people,looking for actual information find it elsewhere, such as YouTube. Leaving BF on about the same trajectory as print newspapers.

And, get off my lawn.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 01-14-23, 09:59 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
l don’t doubt that’s true. However, the arguments , sarcasm, banter can add to the entertainment value and keep people engaged, as long as it isn’t over the top and mean spirited.

I think the bigger problem is that people,looking for actual information find it elsewhere, such as YouTube. Leaving BF on about the same trajectory as print newspapers.
I'm fairly new here as a participant, but have been on the site many many times over the past few years as BF tends to be pretty high in Google results for a lot of bike searches, especially ones relating to maintenance and repair.

The amount of useful content already here will guarantee traffic for years to come even if participation were to dwindle. As a relative outsider though I would definitely say that the culture here is... mixed. There's an incredible amount of dead-horse-beating that goes on around here in ways that are tiresome and circular. The various bicycle-related subre*dits that I follow often seem like friendlier places than here, and that's saying something.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 01-15-23, 05:44 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I heard that Bicycling magazine is undergoing "hard times" due to the lack of readership and changes from their parent company. I wouldn't shed a tear if they go under! It's not worth wrapping fish in now a days.
Old 01-15-23, 11:33 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by retswerb
I'm fairly new here as a participant, but have been on the site many many times over the past few years as BF tends to be pretty high in Google results for a lot of bike searches, especially ones relating to maintenance and repair.

The amount of useful content already here will guarantee traffic for years to come even if participation were to dwindle. As a relative outsider though I would definitely say that the culture here is... mixed. There's an incredible amount of dead-horse-beating that goes on around here in ways that are tiresome and circular. The various bicycle-related subre*dits that I follow often seem like friendlier places than here, and that's saying something.
Agree, the collective knowledge here is not easily (if at all) found elsewhere. In spite of the occasional trolling and/or vitriol, it’s still an amazing resource.
Likes For datlas:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.