Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Annual Tool Kit Check 2023

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-22-23, 05:06 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts

Yep... I know... Another Tool Kit thread... Ha

Well things do change. I really don't mind seeing what other carry or feel is important for thier rides. Every now and then I pick something up or change something out. My addition for this year is a small self contained tubeless tire punch with bacon. Not that I have tubeless tires but, I have run up on a few tubeless tire users that were walking the dog because they didn't. Yep, I'm that slow guy ridding up on ya that will stop and give ya a hand ta get ya ridding again. It's no biggy, I got plenty of time.

Last year I finally retired my MT-1 multi wrench and my old Park tool pouch with the chain breaker for a modern multi tool. Also added a small bottle of oil and retired my Point Setter pliers to go back to my Mini Leatherman.

So, What items have you added or retired from your tool kit for 2023?

My Set For 2023

Reluctantly Retired But Still Revered
Old 01-22-23, 05:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,532 Posts
no pic, but added a co2 inflator this year, will see how it works for the next flat

other thing I added was to my new tube checklist...... tighten the removal valve really wheel in the shop

both in response to pumping up a tire, on a super hot day, and then having to start over again when the core unscrewed when I unscrewed the pump head (twice)

Old 01-22-23, 05:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6928 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
I ride mostly gravel or mixed surfaces (gravel+tarmac) with tubeless tires, and my kit is:
--Topeak Hexus X
--Dynaplug Racer Pro
--Two Pedros Tire Levers
--Silca Gravelero Mini Pump
--A couple Park Tools Tire Boots
--Two spare inner tubes
--For a race, I might add a CO2 inflator + one cartridge

For context, I live in an area with no uber (or similar) service and my wife's job will not allow her to just drop everything and come rescue me. I need to be able to resolve problems on my own.
Old 01-22-23, 06:01 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The MT-1 is still my multi-tool of choice for cost, weight and usefulness. I also carry a Ritchey Mini chain breaker, three plastic tire levers, a used KMC quick link, a Planet Bike CO2 valve, three 16gm CO2 cartridges, two spare tubes and a mini-pump. So far that has been enough on-the-road tools for everything I've ever needed and to bail out the occasional unprepared other rider.
Old 01-22-23, 06:51 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
What is the white wire thingy that looks like a spread hairpin (just below the zip ties)?
Old 01-22-23, 07:58 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I have the same multi-tool and pump as OP. Plus Stan’s Darts and Dyna-plugs for flats. Each has its advantages so I carry both.. riding tubeless of course.
Old 01-22-23, 08:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
For my on the bike kit on my main commuter it hasn't changed. Snap-On 1/4 Bit Ratchet, T7, T10, T25, T30, T40, 2.5 ,3, 4, 5, 8, 10, JIS/Crosstip #2 bits mostly PB Swiss (and one Wera) in a 3d printed magnetic holder. Then I have the Wolf Tooth Magura 8 bit lever and a Crank Bros Speedier Lever and a CO2 inflator and larger canister. I also carry a pump but I want to do a different pump. I haven't actaully used the Magura lever as a tire lever so if I end up liking it I might decide to swap out that Speedier Lever though that one is my favorite tire lever. Also my T40 bit is getting swapped to a T40 IP which is what Bosch uses for their motor bolts

In terms of my actual at home tool kit I would like to get a different set of Torx wrenches probably PB Swiss and maybe some other stuff I have wanted but not really needed.
Old 01-23-23, 09:16 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Vinacafe, Vietnamese individual instant coffee packet. Just add water. Easily fits in a tool pack and helps to make pumping up a high-pressure tire with a mini-pump easier and faster.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-23-23 at 10:27 AM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 01-23-23, 10:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6928 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The MT-1 is still my multi-tool of choice for cost, weight and usefulness.
I've thought about that one, but worried that it'll poke holes in my saddlebag. Any thoughts?
Old 01-23-23, 10:53 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Yep... I know... Another Tool Kit thread... Ha

Well things do change. I really don't mind seeing what other carry or feel is important for thier rides. Every now and then I pick something up or change something out. My addition for this year is a small self contained tubeless tire punch with bacon. Not that I have tubeless tires but, I have run up on a few tubeless tire users that were walking the dog because they didn't. Yep, I'm that slow guy ridding up on ya that will stop and give ya a hand ta get ya ridding again. It's no biggy, I got plenty of time.

Last year I finally retired my MT-1 multi wrench and my old Park tool pouch with the chain breaker for a modern multi tool. Also added a small bottle of oil and retired my Point Setter pliers to go back to my Mini Leatherman.

So, What items have you added or retired from your tool kit for 2023?
I've helped lots of people on the roadside over the years, but all I carry are 4 & 5 mm Allen wrenchs, my house key with a notch filed in it as a spoke wrench, two tire levers, spare tube, Park instant patches (in case I get two flats), and a bandana as a rag, tube protector, and sweat wiper. In many decades and hundreds of thousands of miles of riding, I have not had a mechanical that required a rescue. I'm not heartless but I'm also not going to drag around several pounds of tools and stuff so I can help others along the road. I just don't come across people who have more than a flat or a jammed chain or out of adjustment derailleur that I can easily fix. You be you.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 01-23-23, 12:20 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by Koyote
I've thought about that one, but worried that it'll poke holes in my saddlebag. Any thoughts?
It doesn't and won't. I sewed up an nylon pack cloth roll-up sleeve that holds all of my tools and can be easily swapped from bike to bike. The MT-1 has never damaged it or my saddle pack.

In many decades and hundreds of thousands of miles of riding, I have not had a mechanical that required a rescue.

I've had two. One was a ring-shank roofing nail that went through the tire, both sides of the tube and stuck out just inside the rim. There was no way I could pull it out by hand. The other was three flats on one ride, all within the first 5 miles. I ran out of spare tubes and patients. My rescue tool was my cell phone.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-23-23, 01:03 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
A big change to my saddle bag tool kit is the replacement of a single butyl tube with 3 Ridenow TPU tubes that will fit up to 32mm wide tires. Park GP-2 patches apparently work on these tubes.

The 3 tubes and a patch kit weigh about the same as 1 butyl tube but take up less space.

I’ve been on various rides with friends where someone has double flatted, or have gotten 2-3 flats on a single ride.
​​​​​​​

Likes For momoman:
Old 01-23-23, 01:25 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Once, ~15 yrs ago I double flatted (front/rear) from a curb hit avoiding a car and found both my spare tubes in the underseat
bag had holes rubbed in them by loose tools. Fortunately a passerby offered me a ride home, but I now double bag the loose
tools (MT1 wrench/Park chaintool/ tire levers) in Ziplock bags which are replaced every few years and bag the tubes also.

Those ultralite innertubes from Ridenow are not cheap, even by current standards, have to be riding with really good friends
before I would offer one. ($18 or so ea). Also not sure I would want one in the tire long term as they seem very thin but would
get you home.
Old 01-23-23, 02:52 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Originally Posted by elcraft
What is the white wire thingy that looks like a spread hairpin (just below the zip ties)?
Ha... That's my 0.24 USD ChiCom AliExpress "Chain Disassembly Tool". I was surprised when I got it cause it really works. The wire is almost the same size a a spoke wire and just strong enough to break a stubborn Quick Link.

I am sure you could easily make one from an old spoke. If interested I'll send you the specs...

Last edited by zandoval; 01-23-23 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-23-23, 03:09 PM
zandoval 

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
I've helped lots of people on the roadside over the years...
I get ya... and it's great that you even stopped to help people as many don't. I'll take note of your carry. I too carry a few Scab Patches but I personally have not had good luck with them even though they did get me home. Each year I take more away from my tool kit then I put in. And yes I do need to seriously consider a spare tube for sure...
Old 01-23-23, 03:17 PM
zandoval 

Originally Posted by momoman
A big change to my saddle bag tool kit is the replacement of a single butyl tube with 3 Ridenow TPU tubes...
I have been looking into these TPU tubes and just waiting for the price to come down on them. My big question is flexibility. Can the same tube be used on 700c 32 and 27" 1¼ wheels? If the price goes down I'll certainly consider it for my 2024 Tool Kit...
Old 01-23-23, 03:48 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
For 24 cents, I might just have to throw caution to the winds and buy it! I had noticed the bent spoke and extra quick link in your kit, but this device squeezes the quick link as a nutcracker might crush a nut?
Likes For elcraft:
Old 01-23-23, 04:15 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
The Ridenow 700c TPU tubes are about $7-9 shipped from China. I just bought another 20 for about $7 ea using Aliexpress coupons and my order included 2 patch kits. My friends want to try them and carry them as spares. It took 8 days to arrive.

Old 01-25-23, 10:19 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I get ya... and it's great that you even stopped to help people as many don't. I'll take note of your carry. I too carry a few Scab Patches but I personally have not had good luck with them even though they did get me home. Each year I take more away from my tool kit then I put in. And yes I do need to seriously consider a spare tube for sure...
Are you saying you ride without a spare tube? I simply can't imagine doing that. Park instant patches work fine to get you home and some swear by them as permanent patches but on the rare occasions when I get more than one flat they are my salvation. I typically carry 23 or 4 which would allow for 4-5 flats, which I have NEVER had. For people who find tubes rubbed with holes in them, the bandana I carry is used to wrap the tube to protect it from other stuff in my seat bag. Never had this problem.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 01-26-23, 11:57 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Are you saying you ride without a spare tube? I simply can't imagine doing that.
Neither can I and, in fact, I carry two spare tubes. I know some riders carry a patch kit (so do I) and claim they will just patch a punctured tube. However, finding a very small hole such as from a thorn or small wire can be nearly impossible at the side of the road. I've had flats that require a pail of water and floor pump to find. It's much easier and faster to install a new tube and repair the flattened tube at home later.
Old 01-27-23, 07:52 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
...However, finding a very small hole such as from a thorn or small wire can be nearly impossible at the side of the road...
Exactly, I seldom flat as I ride our retirement community roads with 5-8' bike lanes that are swept regularly but steel belted tire broken pieces of very fine belting wire are usually the cause of my flats and they often take a water tank to find.