Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

drip wax longevity

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: how long does an application of drip wax last you?
<100km
5.26%
101-200km
15.79%
201-300km
34.21%
301+km
13.16%
don’t use it, feel like voting anyway.
31.58%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

drip wax longevity

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-23, 08:59 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
The Park Tool chain cleaner is a splattery mess. I would never use that thing for anything.
agreed. i used it maybe three times and it always made such a mess, on the bike and on the floor. never again.
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-30-23, 09:18 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Gee only minor splattering for me. If the solvent is filled even a small amount above the level mark it can make a mess but at level and with the sponge thing in it pretty much stays in the box. There is a tiny bit of spray coming out onto the back rim is about all I get, and I barely notice it. With lube in it I have minimal splattering/dripping if filled to the fill line. I was a bit over the fill line on my last lube and I had maybe 10 drops fall off the chain while it went around.

Last edited by scottfsmith; 01-30-23 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-30-23, 10:31 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
yes, at least in my strava you can select which of your bikes for a ride and see the mileage for the bike. not sure if you can do much more than that.
Yes, absolutely.
Thank you, people. I figured out how to do that last night and it is exactly what I need to track when to wax multiple bikes.

If one goes through the rigorous cleaning process in order to use drip wax, one might as well go for hot melt wax immersion.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 01-30-23 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-30-23, 10:51 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
If one goes through the rigorous cleaning process in order to use drip wax, one might as well go for hot melt wax immersion.
Too much hassle and wasted time for something like a chain. My chain doesn't come off the bike until I am ready to replace it. Re-lube every 500 miles, wipe down, then wipe down again after first post-lube ride and it's clean enough. No need to overthink it.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-30-23, 10:59 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
The Park Tool chain cleaner is a splattery mess. I would never use that thing for anything.
Agreed, that Park Tool chain cleaner is a mess to use.

I've been using the Pedro's Chain Pig (only when the chain is dirty). It's a one-handed tool, and it's quite a bit less messy. A substantial improvement.

Old 01-30-23, 11:18 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Too much hassle and wasted time for something like a chain. My chain doesn't come off the bike until I am ready to replace it. Re-lube every 500 miles, wipe down, then wipe down again after first post-lube ride and it's clean enough. No need to overthink it.
You don't like wax, we get it. So, why the 9 posts in a 30 post thread. I could have removed my chain, dropped it in the hot wax, and reinstalled it within the time you spent on this thread.

BTW....your chain maintenance is atrocious.
Old 01-30-23, 12:42 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
I switched from Muc-Off (regular dry one) to Squirt last year and I do get roughly twice as much distance between lubrifications with the latter. I am anal when it comes to chain lubrication so I lube it as soon as it becomes noisy.

50-75kms with Muc-Off
100-150kms with Squirt

Last edited by eduskator; 01-30-23 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-30-23, 12:46 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You don't like wax, we get it. So, why the 9 posts in a 30 post thread. I could have removed my chain, dropped it in the hot wax, and reinstalled it within the time you spent on this thread.
Yeah, but posting on this forum is more fun.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
BTW....your chain maintenance is atrocious.
Well let's just say my "atrocious" chain maintenance procedures get me 8 to 10K miles per chain.
Old 01-30-23, 12:48 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Agreed, that Park Tool chain cleaner is a mess to use.

I've been using the Pedro's Chain Pig (only when the chain is dirty). It's a one-handed tool, and it's quite a bit less messy. A substantial improvement.

Park Tool is a big name in bike tools, but so many of their products seem to fall short of what others can do better. Their torque wrenches and spoke tensiometers are just two examples of where there are better choices.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-30-23, 06:08 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Park Tool is a big name in bike tools, but so many of their products seem to fall short of what others can do better. Their torque wrenches and spoke tensiometers are just two examples of where there are better choices.
Park Tools torque wrench is a re-branded Chinese tool. My small torque wrench finally died and I noticed when looking for a new one, they all seemed to be the same design and look, just different handles and some had different color schemes. Park Tools wanted 130 at the time and I found others for 35 - 50. The one I got was $45 and works like a champ and the torque values are spot on. A friend of mine is a master mechanic and has a calibrator for his shop, so he tested it for me.

Old 01-30-23, 08:14 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
so, i just checked my chain, which has 2,500 miles on it. the .5% percent of the checker is just barely sliding in, the .7% side won't go in. shimano advice is to replace a 12 speed chain at .5%.

not too impressed, my clean/lube routine must need some work.
Old 01-30-23, 08:27 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

so, i just checked my chain, which has 2,500 miles on it. the .5% percent of the checker is just barely sliding in, the .7% side won't go in. shimano advice is to replace a 12 speed chain at .5%.

Those chain checkers can give you readings that are wildly off.

Check chain wear with a ruler:

Bicycle: Measuring Chain Wear using a 12-Inch Ruler
Old 01-30-23, 08:36 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts

Most rulers stop at 12 inches. I bought this metal 14 inch ruler so I could check for 12 and 1/16th to 1/8th inch.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-30-23, 08:59 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Most rulers stop at 12 inches. I bought this metal 14 inch ruler so I could check for 12 and 1/16th to 1/8th inch.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can do that, but you really don't need to. You are looking at where the 12 is.
Old 01-30-23, 09:51 PM
mschwett 

i have lots of precise rulers in varying lengths, but the difference between 12.06 and 12.08 is a pretty tough eyeball for me. also seems to require a bit of tension, and agrees with checker, at least this time.

could a simple tool like that really be so poorly produced as to be wildly off? it’s just a piece of metal!
Old 01-31-23, 06:34 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

could a simple tool like that really be so poorly produced as to be wildly off? it’s just a piece of metal!
Yes. Part of the problem is exactly where the pins sit when checking.
Old 01-31-23, 06:52 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts

That, or you're pushing too many watts in average . I got 9000kms out of my 11sp (5500mi) and it's between .5 and .75 according to my checker. Not sure when exactly it did reach .5.
Old 01-31-23, 07:41 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
Gee only minor splattering for me. If the solvent is filled even a small amount above the level mark it can make a mess but at level and with the sponge thing in it pretty much stays in the box. There is a tiny bit of spray coming out onto the back rim is about all I get, and I barely notice it. With lube in it I have minimal splattering/dripping if filled to the fill line. I was a bit over the fill line on my last lube and I had maybe 10 drops fall off the chain while it went around.
I've been using a generic case-style chain cleaner to lube my chains for several years now. Instead of adding lube to the inside of the case, though, once I've snapped the case around the chain, I just add a few droplets (currently Tri-Flo) through two small holes provided at the top of the case. The droplets drip onto brushes that apply the oil directly to the chain.

The chain comes out clean and lightly but sufficiently lubricated, with no oil dripping from the chain. In fact, I've never had to clean any chain I've lubed that way, other than wiping it down after I remove the case and after the first ride.
Old 01-31-23, 10:43 AM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
so, i just checked my chain, which has 2,500 miles on it. ...not too impressed, my clean/lube routine must need some work.
My environment in SE Georgia may be similar to yours with a lot of sand that makes its way onto chains. I remove my chains, use mineral spirits to wash them while off the bike, and relube (I use a wet lube - maybe I need a revision). Every time, I am surprised at the amount of sand I capture off an 11 spd chain. I replace at about 2500 miles at about 5% wear. I use a 6" vernier caliper to measure.
Old 01-31-23, 12:00 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Yes. Part of the problem is exactly where the pins sit when checking.
We need to differentiate between the chain checkers with two points of contact, e.g.: Amazon.com : Park Tool CC-3.2 Chain Checker : Chain Wear Indicator : Sports & Outdoors

Versus those with three points of contact, e.g., Amazon.com : CC-4 - Chain Wear Indicator : Sports & Outdoors

The latter version is more precise.
Old 01-31-23, 12:06 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Tusk
My environment in SE Georgia may be similar to yours with a lot of sand that makes its way onto chains. I remove my chains, use mineral spirits to wash them while off the bike, and relube (I use a wet lube - maybe I need a revision). Every time, I am surprised at the amount of sand I capture off an 11 spd chain. I replace at about 2500 miles at about 5% wear. I use a 6" vernier caliper to measure.
how often do you take them off for the cleaning? i basically never take it off between replacements, maybe i’m just not getting it clean enough.

the conditions of most of my rides *seem* benign but there’s definitely coastal fog (which may be salty?) and a little wind blown sand.

looks benign!

but covered with sand 1/2 the time

heavy fog maybe 1/3 of the time through here, with correspondingly wet ground in the AM
Old 01-31-23, 12:11 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
We need to differentiate between the chain checkers with two points of contact, e.g.: Amazon.com : Park Tool CC-3.2 Chain Checker : Chain Wear Indicator : Sports & Outdoors

Versus those with three points of contact, e.g., Amazon.com : CC-4 - Chain Wear Indicator : Sports & Outdoors

The latter version is more precise.
thanks for that. the one i have is similar to the two point version. will try the CC-4.

i will say that after changing the chain, the drivetrain is much quieter. in fact i can’t hear it anymore, at all. tires are louder, so the chain was definitely a bit worn. hopefully not too much > .5
Old 01-31-23, 12:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

thanks for that. the one i have is similar to the two point version. will try the CC-4.
I actually use the Pedro version myself: Pedro's Chain Checker Plus II | Jenson USA

Because the instructions are engraved right on the tool itself.
Old 01-31-23, 01:16 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

how often do you take them off for the cleaning? i basically never take it off between replacements, maybe i’m just not getting it clean enough.

the conditions of most of my rides *seem* benign but there’s definitely coastal fog (which may be salty?) and a little wind blown sand.

looks benign!

but covered with sand 1/2 the time

heavy fog maybe 1/3 of the time through here, with correspondingly wet ground in the AM
I would say it's the moist salt air that is the biggest issue. Would be a challenge regardless of how religious you are about chain care.
Old 01-31-23, 07:16 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Tusk
Yea I am down the road from you in Jax and and when I ride up and down A1A, I would pick up a lot of sand when I was using a wet lube, so much better now that I am using the wax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.