Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Giant Wheel Corrosion

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Giant Wheel Corrosion

Old 01-29-23, 01:42 PM
richas

Bikes: Giant Defy Disc 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Giant Wheel Corrosion

Older Giant Propel with original wheels. Crashed in a circuit race, rear wheel was was hit/run-over by someone behind me. I have since found a set of Zipps which, after some effort, are on the bike. Since I had the trueing stand out I thought I would try to true the bent wheel. These wheel are AL rim brake with carbon fairings. Upon removing the rim tape I see a lot of corrosion around the spoke holes (Inside the rim, not the carbon exit hole. The spoke pull on the carbon, not the aluminum.

Anyone see an issue with cleaning the corrosion and using the wheel as an emergency spare? (Assuming it trues up ok)

Shining a light into the adjustment holes I don't see corrosion on the spoke heads. I haven't tried adjusting them as I don't have the spoke tool for recessed adjusters yet.

Rich

Old 01-29-23, 02:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
I've ridden much worse.

It's more about whether you are okay with it than whether any of us are okay with it. We all have differing limits to things we perceive as possible safety issues and how much risk we will assume.

If when you true it your spoke tensions in places are really high to make it true, then that might be a concern for how long it'll go without breaking a spoke.

Narrow rim by todays standards I think. But it'll be fine for any size tire you can fit in that frame. A 28mm or bigger might bulge out a lot on the sides and not be as aero as it should be for that rim. But maybe the external width is more than I'm imagining.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-29-23 at 02:10 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-29-23, 05:25 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
the low spoke count of that wheel tells me that the RIM must be true and the SPOKES only hold the rim in alignment with the hub... Depending on the AMOUNT of deflection from the crash, using extra tension to pull the rim back into true to the hub may be next to Impossible.

even an all aluminum Double Wall rim with 32 or 36 spokes can be Very Difficult to pull into true using only spoke tension, and the tensions around the wheel will never be close to equal.

Bent rim + Low spoke count = loosen ALL the spokes, then try to flatten the rim BEFORE re-tightening the spokes.
I De-lace then try to flatten, then re-lace or REPLACE the rim

Will you race it?... REPLACE it !
nothing hurts more than losing before you start.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 01-29-23, 08:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
This is a design "problem" common to rims of this type.

I put "problem" in quotes because it really doesn't matter in any meaningful way.

It happens because rims are anodized before being drilled, leaving the edges of holes unprotected on the finished rim. Then water enters at the spoke hole, and ends up trapped by rhe rim tape, setting up what you now see.

This could be prevented with changes to design or process, but since it doesn't matter, makers feel it doesn't warrant higher costs.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-10-23, 11:07 PM
richas

Bikes: Giant Defy Disc 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry for the delay and thanks all for the input. Definitely won't race this wheel, I thought I would see if I could true before tossing it.

I will take maddog34's advice and loosen the spokes to see how bad the bend is.

Rich