Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Best Rear Light for $25?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Best Rear Light for $25?

Old 07-20-17, 07:35 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts

10.4 grams.
Old 07-23-17, 09:26 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
Does anyone have experience with this light?
Ampulla C1
See also
No personal experience but the Amazon reviews with 5 stars are all VERY questionable if not outright fictitious.
Old 08-04-17, 11:35 PM
mfhorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any experience with any of these? I'd thought about using the 3rd one as a light for my helmet.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ydgnwbck

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y94bwbhb

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ybnym8zc

What about putting lights on the seat stays? Worth it, or no?

Last edited by mfhorn; 08-04-17 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-05-17, 12:40 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by mfhorn
Any experience with any of these? I'd thought about using the 3rd one as a light for my helmet.

TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL

What about putting lights on the seat stays? Worth it, or no?
I often put lights on my seat stays because my rack bag blocks lights mounted to the seat stem.
Old 08-05-17, 12:31 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The Blitzu Cyborg TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL is identical to the Raypal RPL-2266 sold by an eBay seller for $4.78 including postage. COB LED Bicycle Bike Cycling Front Rear Tail Light USB Rechargeable 6 Modes Lamp | eBay It is the same size (4" across), has the same number of LEDs in the COB, has the same 500 mAh battery inside, has the same 6 functions, and from the outside looks identical except for not having the Blitzu name on it. I have one in front of me that I received this past week. Shipping time was 13 days. It certainly is worth $5. The package gives the output as 100 lumens with a 3 hour run time in the brighter flashing mode. It has the mount shown in the Blitzu picture that they claim works on a helmet. I just tried it with my own helmet and the length of the rubber strap is too short to be used that way. It wouldn't be much trouble to modify the mount to attach it permanently to the helmet though. I'd rather do that with a $5 light than a $18 one. There is a separate model which may have a different mount - Blitzu Cyborg 168H BLITZU Cyborg 168H USB Rechargeable Headlight SUPER BRIGHT Bike Light - Helmet for $18. Maybe that has a longer strap.
Old 08-06-17, 06:41 PM
mfhorn

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like I'll be ordering 2 tail lights- an Apacevision for my helmet, and a Blitzu Cyborg 168T for the bike. That should be plenty for no more than I'm doing now.

My wife said the current lights, a Lumintrail with 800 lumen is very visible from 2 blocks off in daylight. I don't like the strobe flash that much, but at least right now I don't want to spend anything more for the headlight I do like, a Cygolite 600 (or more) since the Lumintrail is working out okay. We'll see what happens in 6 weeks or so when I'm riding in the dark. She could only see the tail light from about a block off, so that's the first thing.

Last edited by mfhorn; 08-06-17 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 07:42 AM
airforce1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a positive experience with this light:

https://www.amazon.com/CygoLite-Hotr...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I typically ride very early in the morning here in Guam to escape the heat and humidity so I needed a bright light to alert traffic.

This sucker is bright.

I used several review websites that confirmed quality and the fakespot app I use did not detect fake reviews on Amazon that normally plague other light reviews.
Old 01-17-18, 11:06 AM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airforce1
I've had a positive experience with this light:

https://www.amazon.com/CygoLite-Hotr...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I typically ride very early in the morning here in Guam to escape the heat and humidity so I needed a bright light to alert traffic.

This sucker is bright.

I used several review websites that confirmed quality and the fakespot app I use did not detect fake reviews on Amazon that normally plague other light reviews.
Too bad it's not $25 or less.
Old 01-18-18, 02:15 PM
airforce1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by User1
Too bad it's not $25 or less.
Yeah it's $29.75 including free shipping...thought I would post some options
Old 01-18-18, 02:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
I confess my minimum price for a tail light is about $35. I don't think I could be satisfied with a $25 tail light. I might be wrong.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-18-18, 05:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yeah, in USB rechargeables the minimum I've used on the bike itself is the Cygolite Hotshot 50, and it still costs just a few pennies shy of $30. When I bought it the Hotshots 80 and brighter were still much more expensive. But now you can buy the 100 and 150 for less than $40, so there isn't much point to the 50.

The Hotshots are so lightweight I'll probably buy a 150 to mount on my road bike as a second light, under the Hotshot 50. I'll keep the 50 for nighttime group rides. It's more group ride friendly, especially aimed downward a bit.

A little trick I learned from watching other folks is the piercing flash of the brightest Hotshots can be minimized a bit without sacrificing visibility. Just aim them downward a bit -- the mounts are adjustable. The bright light flashes off the rear tire and pavement, which actually increases visibility without blinding folks directly behind us.

Last week I participated in a fairly fast nighttime ride, including twisty sections of the MUP where 12 mph would feel fast. I had to pass or drop way behind a couple of folks whose Hotshot or similarly piercing lights were aimed directly at eye level to riders behind them. For group rides I'll usually set the Hotshot to steady and dim it a bit, although I think I forgot to do so last week. I'm guessing my flasher was acceptable aimed downward because our sweep or tailgunner will usually fuss at me to remind me to reset my taillight.

Our casual group is pretty loosey goosey about this stuff, but another faster group I sometimes ride with will fuss at and ostracize cyclists who aim their laser blinkies directly at eye level. They insist on steady lights only, aimed downward a bit, at least while riding with the group. Makes sense in winter when group rides are often in darkness, morning or evening.

However if you don't participate in nighttime group rides or commute on a busy MUP it might not be an issue. If I mostly rode busy streets and rural highways in daytime I'd get the brightest Hotshot and aim it level and directly back. In daylight it will appear piercing only to anyone directly behind you. The Hotshot has a very narrow aperture of intense brightness. This should help nudge any driver tailgating you off your tail. When I've been riding my bike and had to follow another cyclist using a bright Hotshot, all I needed to do was move to the side about a foot and the intensity decreased to a tolerable level.
Old 01-18-18, 09:09 PM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks for firing up this thread again! It got me to do a little looking around at Cygolite. As they're still my fav with the Cygolite Hotshot Micro 30 USB. Which is way less than $25 if you can bring yourself to shop on ebay. I myself have no problem with ebay, for buying, selling is another thread. Speaking of which, you can get the Hotshot SL 50 USB for less than $25 too. And you don't have to have an order of $35>, or whatever the minimum is (on Amazon).

I've had no problems with Cygolite, other than they don't include the clip option for their lights. They have it, but you got to write them and ask for it. That's the only thing that bugs me about them. I saw that they have the Dice TL 50 USB (for less than $25). I'm going to pick this up if they can send me a the clip option for it.

BTW the Chinese no name stuff looks interesting, but the lights that are working for me are not that bad at all. If I was dabbling with rear lights, I'd give them a try!
Old 01-21-18, 09:48 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Best is clearly a relative and subjective term.

For me, reliability is my top concern.

If the light fails after being dropped, or falling off the bike its worthless.

Predictable battery life is also just as important, runtime matters. (5 hours minimum has been sufficient for my needs)

For me, I consider my rear light (in the I picture linked to in a previous post) bright enough (in flashing mode) for urban use, it lights up street signs 200 meters away.

I would recommend something significantly brighter if the roads you ride on have massive speed differentials, also be aware that overly bright lights may cause target fixation for some road users.

Last edited by SHBR; 01-21-18 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-30-18, 02:15 AM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by User1
I've had no problems with Cygolite, other than they don't include the clip option for their lights. They have it, but you got to write them and ask for it. That's the only thing that bugs me about them. I saw that they have the Dice TL 50 USB (for less than $25). I'm going to pick this up if they can send me a the clip option for it.
Well I contacted Cygolite on getting the clip option on the Dice TL 50 light and they stated they don't make that setup and doesn't look that easy to make something for those lights. Still not a bad light. Pretty freaking bright really. Makes a great daylight light. I don't like that it lacks side illumination and doesn't have the clip option. I like that it's really small and will easily survive in my pack. I'll just use it as a backup light. The modes aren't that bad. There is one mode for group riding. Flashing speeds up in the day time.

Really I still like my Hotshot Micro 30 just fine. Has two group modes and has good side visibility. Plus it's clippable.
Old 01-30-18, 04:04 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I found this thread a couple of years ago when I was looking for a rear light and bought the Cateye Rapid 3 which quite a few recommended and for the money is brilliant but is no longer available in the UK.

It seems manufacturers would now prefer to sell you a USB rechargeable knowing it only last a year or so before you have to go and buy a complete new unit for $25 as opposed to being able to just buy a new AA eneloop for less than $4
Old 02-03-18, 01:06 AM
Falchoon

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
I found this thread a couple of years ago when I was looking for a rear light and bought the Cateye Rapid 3 which quite a few recommended and for the money is brilliant but is no longer available in the UK.

It seems manufacturers would now prefer to sell you a USB rechargeable knowing it only last a year or so before you have to go and buy a complete new unit for $25 as opposed to being able to just buy a new AA eneloop for less than $4
Is this what you are after?

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-au/ca...lumen-EV276557

Merlin have it too, slightly more expensive than Evans though they have a deal going at the moment that supposedly gives you extra 10% discount at the checkout
Old 09-03-18, 12:13 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
NiteRider CherryBomb 35

Reliable brand with a lifetime warranty

Uses 2 AAA batteries that last for over 100 hours in Flash mode. Reliable clip for bag strap.

All for $19.99, including batteries.
Old 09-04-18, 11:44 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
I just bought the Cygolite 150 as most of my PB SuperFlash and clones have either disappeared or stopped working. This will be for my road bike, and if it is as good as I expect, I'll get another one for my wife's bike. The likelihood of her actually riding in the dark is small, but we were caught in the dark yesterday. It was more than $25, but not that much more.
Old 09-07-18, 07:32 PM
zacster

I've mounted the Cygolite 150 on the seat pocket loop for the moment as I have no other place for it. But here is the problem I see with it, it is too bright. Blindingly bright. I wouldn't want to follow behind one of those, even in the daylight. At least it lets you turn it way down, as that's how I'll probably use it. But if that's how I'll use it then I didn't need a 150. So as a review I'd give it a 3, just too bright to be used as full capacity. Add that to my super bright tactical flashlight I'm using and I'll just light up the streets. And yet I feel safe on my other bike with my MagnicLight rear light and B&M Cyo Premium headlight, neither of which are light cannons but do the job very well and are always on.
Old 12-07-18, 12:39 PM
SlvrDragon50

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thought I would give my input. I had a Cygolite Hotshot SL 2w that worked great for 3 years, but it apparently randomly died and will only turn on when plugged in an no longer holds a charge. Also makes a high pitch whining noise when plugged in.

That said, I got it for <$25 so I'm very happy with it. Looking at other options now, but I'm likely going to get a Cygolite again.
Old 12-07-18, 01:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
3-4 years is a normal lifespan for a lithium-ion battery. A Cygolite light of mine stopped holding a charge before three years were up. The company replaced it for me. I like that company.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-07-18, 01:38 PM
angerdan

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
Looking at other options now
Cateye Rapid series, Knog blinder and Sigma Stereo are good:
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=%28cateye%2Csigma%2Cknog%29+%28rapid%2Cblinder%2Cstereo%2Ctrail%29&_sacat=2268 9
Old 04-24-19, 07:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Bontrager Flare 1, reasonably bright triple vertically aligned LED, simple to use with three modes, uses a pair of AAA batteries, and costs only about $15. Includes a plastic mount but the built in clip has sharp nubs that securely grab accessory mounting loops on saddle bags. Probably the most secure built in clip I've seen.
Old 12-11-19, 02:53 PM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I made my own rear light assembly which has a 12 Volt lithium battery and an automotive flashing unit to power it. After using it a few months I got inspired to add turn signals when I found cheap 1959 Cadillac bullet tail lenses in yellow on ebay. I got the red and amber LED's at Walmart.

Old 12-12-19, 08:43 AM
zacster

Those pictures made my day. Btw, what planet are you from?
Likes For zacster:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.