Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Anyone Successfully Ride Their Gravel Bike on Single-Track?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Anyone Successfully Ride Their Gravel Bike on Single-Track?

Old 10-23-20, 11:02 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by gorillimo
Don’t have to, I choose to.! Devotee of the Grant Peterson “just ride” philosophy. Sold my Klein road and FSR mt bikes.
Use this for everything. It’s a bike, ride it!
As it should be!
Old 10-23-20, 03:17 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
That's a great philosophy if you're willing to have less fun and/or limit what you ride.

My gravel bike, or that bike, would absolutely suck on a bunch of trails that I really like.
Yes, it makes me ride to what it suits it. I’m OK with that. The trail in the pic is my favorite ride. It does well on it. Can’t keep up with the local club racing pack on the road either!

Last edited by gorillimo; 10-23-20 at 06:53 PM.
Likes For gorillimo:
Old 10-29-20, 06:40 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Will continue the pile-on here. Sold my full squish MTB and haven’t looked back. Was recently riding with a friend who marveled as I sped through a tight, tree-lined area with my narrow bars.
there’s probably some extreme mtb riding I’m missing out on, but I was never doing that in the first place.

Likes For walnutz:
Old 10-29-20, 07:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz
Will continue the pile-on here. Sold my full squish MTB and haven’t looked back. Was recently riding with a friend who marveled as I sped through a tight, tree-lined area with my narrow bars.
there’s probably some extreme mtb riding I’m missing out on, but I was never doing that in the first place.
Lots of current gravel bikes are what used to be called drop bar mountain bikes. If you had shown me your bike 5 years ago, that's what I would have called it. If you are riding rock gardens like the one in your picture, I would keep an eye on the fork and head tube welds.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-29-20, 07:22 AM
walnutz

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Lots of current gravel bikes are what used to be called drop bar mountain bikes. If you had shown me your bike 5 years ago, that's what I would have called it. If you are riding rock gardens like the one in your picture, I would keep an eye on the fork and head tube welds.
True, and thanks. Not sure if you can tell in the photo, but there the downtube-headtube connection is fortified with extra metal (pardon my lack of technical vocabulary!). Also I run super low pressure, so i think that helps with impact absorption. Noted nonetheless.
Old 10-29-20, 03:44 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz
True, and thanks. Not sure if you can tell in the photo, but there the downtube-headtube connection is fortified with extra metal (pardon my lack of technical vocabulary!). Also I run super low pressure, so i think that helps with impact absorption. Noted nonetheless.
I ride my steel gravel bikes through rock gardens like that almost every ride. But I'm really carefully picking my way through (I rode nothing but rigid MTB for a number of years and it really taught me how to pick a line). I'd be more concerned with a carbon frame but I suppose a steel frame could get compromised as he describes.
Likes For pbass:
Old 10-29-20, 06:40 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I'm only worried about fatigue. I think carbon would have very different problems with rock gardens.
Old 10-29-20, 09:09 PM
walnutz

What you have there is a drop bar mountain bike rolling monster 2.4s.

There is nothing special about riding that "gravel bike" on balloon tires on singletrack.
Cool, thanks.
Old 11-07-20, 07:40 PM
pbechard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do it all the time. It's not as forgiving as the MTB in the more technical sections, but still works.
Old 11-08-20, 09:15 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I ride my omnium (cargo bike) on single track once in a while. Not fast at all, and some switchbacks are impossible without getting off the bike and liftint it to turn it aroun. The same is true of goig over rocks or "humps": the longer length of the bike can get you "hung up". In other words: It's not elegant at all, not fast at all, but so much fun. I wouldn't hesitate doing it on a gravel bike even if it's not as objectively fast as a MTB or whatever.
Old 11-08-20, 05:44 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Sure. Not much fun though.
Old 11-08-20, 05:54 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by gus6464
Sure. Not much fun though.
It is fun. Doing something on or in an a completely inappropriate vehicle is always fun - if for nothing else than the sheer ridiculousness of it.
Going fast on a lawn mover would also be fun, even if it is not an appropriate vehicle to go fast. It is fun because it is ridiculous.
Old 11-09-20, 01:35 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Exactly. I had a friend with a spec Miata - after race season we would crank up the coil overs to max height and go run the "double track" through the woods on a fully prepped race car. It was ridiculous fun! Same with the gravel bike. If you can do it without crashing or braking something - its all good.
Likes For chas58:
Old 11-09-20, 02:12 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Nah, it's a ton of fun.

A gravel bike is a great way to make boring singletrack challenging, again.
To be fair to him, I am pretty sure he meant taking my bike (an omnium cargo bike) on single-track was "not much fun". It is, though, despite the hardships. It's like claiming that cyclecross is no fun because a fat bike would be better in the mud, or just a wide-tyred normal MTB.

That said, I think that if I did get another bike in the coming five years or so, it would most definitely be a gravel bike and not an MTB. It is simply a better and more rounded compromise to me = a much more useable bike than either a road bike or a mountain bike.

Edit: Someone has a signature that says something like "A gravel bike is a road bike that doesn't suck". I think that sums it up very nicely.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-10-20, 06:35 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
I have done endurance cross country races on a gravel bike because why not I guess and while the experiment was intriguing it beats you to all hell afterwards. Having to be insanely careful with line choice gets old after 10 mins. Also done XC circuit races as well and those are definitely fun on the gravel bike as circuit races are nothing more than "off-road" gravel races. Will I get rid of my XC bike for a gravel bike? No way in hell. Underbiking can be fun but it's not a long term thing. I will say though that gravel bike is probably the most versatile of the bunch because at least where I live I can race 3 displines with it.

road
gravel
cross country circuit

Although I will say cutting out road riding out of my life has been for the better. No longer have to worry about being run over by a dumbass on the side of the road. My N+1 has just become versatile because of it too.
Gravel bike
120/120 MTB
160/160 MTB
Likes For gus6464:
Old 11-11-20, 06:03 PM
pbass

Huh, that’s good to know.

I’ve only been having fun underbiking for ~23 years.

When does it it become a long term thing that isn’t fun anymore?
I turned 60 this year and gave up suspension years ago. And, more and more, I gravitate towards my singlespeed gravel rig on whatever terrain I hit--rocky singletrack, you-name-it. Am I fast? Hell no! But I'm having tons of fun, and I like to think it's keeping me strong and tough in my later years
Likes For pbass:
Old 11-11-20, 07:25 PM
pbass

I did? I said underbiking was still fun for me many years in, and getting more fun (as I lean towards underbiking even more with the ss). When will it be no longer fun? In my case, I predict never.
Likes For pbass:
Old 11-12-20, 08:23 AM
walnutz

Sorry, I mixed you up with the other guy.
An apology in the internet! What’s the world coming to?
Likes For walnutz:
Old 11-28-20, 10:12 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Oh, there is another much more obvious answer.

Just look at its posting history and compare it to make believe creatures that live under bridges or the foot coverings that can be found on the sock aisle at Walmart.
Whats this? Your unique unique method of sharing your discontent and disagreement with my posts without referring to me directly?

I bet you're the sort of dude that comes here to passively rant about the state of your personal relationship with your wife when things go wrong on that end.
Old 11-28-20, 11:08 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,937 Times in 4,672 Posts
You're confusing "discontent and disagreement" with pity.
Old 11-28-20, 11:29 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Have done it far too much and have never found it to be fun and am instead a fan of dedicated tools for specific tasks.

My bikes have not liked it either.
Old 11-28-20, 12:25 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
You're confusing "discontent and disagreement" with pity.
I think Youre a little bit confused with regards to your own terminology here.
typically, when I pity someone due to their views or opinions, I'll either try to tell them why I think they are wrong or simply ignore their ideas all together. I am not the one to judge and neither should you.

Comparing me to some object you might find in the sock aisle really says quite a lot about your maturity and this bull**** "pity" which you are supposedly feeling.

Don't worry, we get through this together, even if you are a fully grown man still acting like a foolish child from elementary school.

I do pray that the behavior you're exhibiting on here does not reflect on who you actually are as a human being. One can only pray. (And pity.)
Old 11-28-20, 12:35 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Whats this? Your unique unique method of sharing your discontent and disagreement with my posts without referring to me directly?

I bet you're the sort of dude that comes here to passively rant about the state of your personal relationship with your wife when things go wrong on that end.
Wow. You quoted a post from a closed thread just to drag it over to a new thread to continue the nonsense that got the first thread closed.

This current thread should answer the question you started your (now closed) thread for.

Just a suggestion: Next time try searching to see if there is not already a thread asking the exact same question you are in the past couple weeks. It does little good to have an identical ans specific topic being discussed in multiple threads.
Old 11-28-20, 12:50 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I take the cx bike almost exclusively on dirt, & the mtn bike gathers cobwebs.
The main limitation is downhill traction, so can't bomb the descents and end up riding the brakes, tiring the hands. Some technical descents get walked.
Local conditions are quite steep and rocky & nice CX tubular race tires are a bit vulnerable in the sidewalls but Tufo ones do pretty well.
I like keeping the same riding position as on the road & have never cared for flat bars much.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 11-28-20, 02:13 PM
walnutz

Fellas, drop it. Geez.
Likes For walnutz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.