Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Anyone Successfully Ride Their Gravel Bike on Single-Track?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Anyone Successfully Ride Their Gravel Bike on Single-Track?

Old 11-28-20, 07:43 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz
Fellas, drop it. Geez.
This.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 11-29-20, 07:47 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Or else. And don't claim you didn't see the warnings.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 11-29-20, 11:13 PM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Went out today on my "gravel" bike. <...> A little insane but really fun. Cyclocross tubulars at low psi dampened the roots and rocks. Kettle Moraine, southern Wisconsin.
​​
​​​​​​Note that the wheels are Campy Tipo with Mavic tubular rims. These wheels are almost 50 years old. Just slightly out of true after 12 miles of brutal singletrack.
Not much to say except that that's an awesome looking Mercier. And good on you to take it off piste like that.
Old 04-11-22, 06:29 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
First Experience W/ Opus 650b Gravel Bike on Singletrack..

I took the bike on a thorough 1.5h thrash on some singletrack near my house. Mostly tight, winding, flowing hard packed sand, ridden with rocks, roots and short but steep elevation changes.

- the ​40t front ring didn't place me at any significant disadvantage, as the bike is quick .

- the bike performed admirably over everything, including moderately challenging bits of terrain where even my carbon 29er would have broken a bit of a sweat.

- The bike was very fast, agile, planted and supremely balanced.

- To put the singletrack I ride into perspective, something like a 26x2.4 tire seems to be the most ideal tire diameter for these tight turns while offering ideal cushioning. The 650b x 45 still felt a tad clumsy and under cushioned around some bits.

- I​​​​​​I was surprised that bottom bracket clearance wasnt too much of an issue here. My XC bike has an extra 25mm of clearance, yet it didn't make much of a difference.

- I was chasing after a highly experienced rider on a Trek full suspension 29er, which really helped me gauge the pros and cons of each bike. Sometimes I struggled and lost time on sections with short, steep climbs ridden with tree roots, sometimes we were more or less even, other times, I was easily able to gain on him. (Mostly because he let me)

I enjoyed the experience tremendously, although some parts of the trail I would definitely avoid riding on my gravel grinder next time. The bike performed quickly, accurately, and with excellent stability on some really challenging sections of the trail while still holding its own in places where speed and agility couldn't be used to its advantage. For a bike with geometry shadowing that of a road bike, it's incredible how composed it manages to be over some truly rough terrain.

Although I'm not a novice, the guy I rode with was able to smoke me no matter the terrain. This helped me fortify on the idea that the quality of the bike you ride is virtually irrelevant without the right rider.
Likes For Moisture:
Old 04-16-22, 09:31 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
If anyone is curious, here is a picture of my bike !!

​​​​​​If the bike had room for tires thicker than 50mm wide, some sort of front suspension similar to the Oliver left fork on the Cannondale Topstone Carbon, and a lower front chainring such as 34 or 36t, or even a 30/46 2x setup, this thing would dominate my $4000 carbon Felt XC bike on any of the terrain I face riding moderate singletrack.

Likes For Moisture:
Old 04-17-22, 10:59 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
When I head out to ride single track, I take the MTB. When I encounter single track on the gravel bike, I certainly don't turn around. With my skinny tires, I have to slow quite a bit on the technical stuff, but on smooth stuff like this, they work well.

Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-26-24, 05:23 AM
eskcat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes or not? Hard to say

Very good topic. I've done some tests and found mixed results.
Old 03-26-24, 12:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by eskcat
Yes or not? Hard to say
Very good topic. I've done some tests and found mixed results.
Your non-committal response to a thread that had been dead for 2 years has been noted.