Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding with women

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-22, 09:24 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
They are usually happy to have an unknown guy along as long as you spend some time explaining how their bike works and give them technique advice. And if you throw in some anecdotes about how awesome a rider you are, they will feel lucky to be riding with you.
Yes. They especially love advice on their saddle heights.
Old 04-06-22, 09:39 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I am not a biologist. How am I supposed to know what a woman is?

I tend to treat everyone the same anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-06-22, 09:41 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I drope the hamer.
Nice sense of history from our new member.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-06-22, 09:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
I go out of my way to either hang well back behind women riding, or pass them quickly if the speed differential makes sense. I don't want to be either That Guy who struggles to pass a woman only to blow up a mile later, OR That Guy who hangs out behind them for mile after mile. If other riders, women of course included, want to talk and ride together for a bit, I'm happy to oblige, but I won't make the first approach. I guess overall my approach is the same with all other cyclists, but with a little added deference for women.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-06-22, 10:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
That lots of people, women included, enjoy friendly competition on the road
Agreed.
Also, lots of people, including women, don't.

So, if you ask people and they say yes, no problem. If they say no, don't do it.

If you say hi during a pass, and a friendly conversation ensues, that's a social cue. You'll need to read it in context. Is any of this mysterious or even slightly controversial?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-06-22, 10:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I go out of my way to either hang well back behind women riding, or pass them quickly if the speed differential makes sense. I don't want to be either That Guy who struggles to pass a woman only to blow up a mile later, OR That Guy who hangs out behind them for mile after mile. If other riders, women of course included, want to talk and ride together for a bit, I'm happy to oblige, but I won't make the first approach. I guess overall my approach is the same with all other cyclists, but with a little added deference for women.

This is basically my approach whatever the gender. I find nothing more annoying as a rider than when someone barely manages to pass me then just dies right in front of me, especially when they brought their group with them to surround me.. They always seem to do this on roads where I have to wait for an opportunity to pass them back.

I'm a man, so I would only imagine that women find this sort of thing even more annoying and perhaps threatening.

I do think it's a fair presumption that people who are riding alone are riding alone on purpose, and not to assume otherwise without some sort of invite or a positive response to a question.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-06-22, 10:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Once I met a girl when riding home and opened with “hi I’m injured, can I draft you?” We both got prs on some segments so we were pushing each other.
You told her you were injured and then proceeded to PR segments?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-06-22, 10:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am not a biologist. How am I supposed to know what a woman is?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-06-22, 10:44 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You told her you were injured and then proceeded to PR segments?
In the same vein:

I asked this guy if he wanted to race but he was on the end of a century, so I offered to draft him. He was her friend and said I was cool or at least a memorable encounter
Old 04-06-22, 10:51 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 942 Posts
I asked this guy if he wanted to race but he was on the end of a century, so I offered to draft him. He was her friend and said I was cool or at least a memorable encounter
I'm assuming you offered to pull him.
Old 04-06-22, 10:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by BillyD
You guys, ALL of you, need to drop the shirtless remarks, violates at least three guidelines.
Basic Guidelines
The following seven categories of online conduct are unacceptable at BikeForums and constitute a violation of our Community Standards which may result in warning, suspension or loss of membership:

Harassment - Harassment occurs when a member insults, attacks, and denigrates another member at any time.
Referencing that someone talked about riding shirtless in a group ride when discussing perceived interactions with others does not seem like harassment, but it isnt complimentary so is this one of the violated guidelines?

Disruption - Posts which intend to disrupt the topic of conversation or steer the topic away from the focus of the forum and related news.
Referencing shirtless riding doesnt disrupt the topic of conversation and could provide context for the OP's initial comments.

Vulgarity - Vulgarity not only includes vulgar language and pictures but also sexist, racist, anti-religious, images of graphic violence, political statements and homophobic language which may offend other members.
Doesnt apply here.

Solicitation - Please refrain from using Bike Forums to promote your "crowdfunding campaign" (kickstarter/indiegogo), commercial services/website, or to advertise items for sale.
Doesnt apply here.

Spamming - Spamming is the multiple posting of an identical or similar post on one or more of our Forums.
Doesnt apply here.

Copyrighted Material - You may post links to appropriate articles but posting articles from other sources in their entirety is a violation of our Forum Guidelines. If you must repost quotes or sentences, please credit the source.
Doesnt apply here. Though having now actually looked at these rules, this is violated constantly.

High Maintenance Clause - Any member who occupies a majority of admin or moderator time unnecessarily will be shown the door.
Doesnt apply here.

Your post prompted me to actually look at the forum's rules. I would guess many dont look at or remember them. I see a couple possible violations based on the shirtless comment, but maybe I am missing something? Regardless, I decided to post the 7 rules in the thread so others can see them if they dont already know em by heart.
Oh, and to stay in compliance since some of the above is quoted work, here is me citing where I found the rules- https://www.bikeforums.net/faq.php?f...aq_forum_rules

Last edited by mstateglfr; 04-06-22 at 11:01 AM. Reason: formatting
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-06-22, 11:02 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
If you're looking for "friendly competition on the road," join a club and knock yourself out. Soliciting a rando to race or to "work together" comes off as thirsty, regardless of their gender.

I have a hard time believing that presumably grown-ass people struggle so mightily with the parameters of basic social interactions.

Last edited by Rolla; 04-06-22 at 11:05 AM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-06-22, 01:28 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Basic Guidelines
The following seven categories of online conduct are unacceptable at BikeForums and constitute a violation of our Community Standards which may result in warning, suspension or loss of membership:

Harassment - Harassment occurs when a member insults, attacks, and denigrates another member at any time.
Referencing that someone talked about riding shirtless in a group ride when discussing perceived interactions with others does not seem like harassment, but it isnt complimentary so is this one of the violated guidelines?

Disruption - Posts which intend to disrupt the topic of conversation or steer the topic away from the focus of the forum and related news.
Referencing shirtless riding doesnt disrupt the topic of conversation and could provide context for the OP's initial comments.

Vulgarity - Vulgarity not only includes vulgar language and pictures but also sexist, racist, anti-religious, images of graphic violence, political statements and homophobic language which may offend other members.
Doesnt apply here.

Solicitation - Please refrain from using Bike Forums to promote your "crowdfunding campaign" (kickstarter/indiegogo), commercial services/website, or to advertise items for sale.
Doesnt apply here.

Spamming - Spamming is the multiple posting of an identical or similar post on one or more of our Forums.
Doesnt apply here.

Copyrighted Material - You may post links to appropriate articles but posting articles from other sources in their entirety is a violation of our Forum Guidelines. If you must repost quotes or sentences, please credit the source.
Doesnt apply here. Though having now actually looked at these rules, this is violated constantly.

High Maintenance Clause - Any member who occupies a majority of admin or moderator time unnecessarily will be shown the door.
Doesnt apply here.

Your post prompted me to actually look at the forum's rules. I would guess many dont look at or remember them. I see a couple possible violations based on the shirtless comment, but maybe I am missing something? Regardless, I decided to post the 7 rules in the thread so others can see them if they dont already know em by heart.
Oh, and to stay in compliance since some of the above is quoted work, here is me citing where I found the rules- https://www.bikeforums.net/faq.php?f...aq_forum_rules
You seem to have inadvertently snipped this out
"Respect the forum staff. We're not here to make life harder to anyone. Any decision taken by the administrators and moderators is final and must be respected."
Starting an argument with forum staff in the open forum can get you jammed up all kinds of ways and you know this
Sheesh-General Cycling has turned into Trollheim. Should be moved way back at the bottom of the list where it was when I joined up. If only to prevent newbies from finding it right away
Old 04-06-22, 01:39 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Just in case people come into this thread for serious advice, I agree with those who just say "hi" on their way by and then continue at their own pace. If the woman wants a friend, they will respond with a conversation starter... "nice weather for a ride, huh?", "how far are you going?", etc. If they just say "hi" back, they're probably not interested.
Old 04-06-22, 01:45 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Married 61 years. Treat all women as your Daughters.
I see your point , but how about just treating them like adult humans that are not related to you?
Likes For walnutz:
Old 04-06-22, 01:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
You seem to have inadvertently snipped this out
"Respect the forum staff. We're not here to make life harder to anyone. Any decision taken by the administrators and moderators is final and must be respected."
Starting an argument with forum staff in the open forum can get you jammed up all kinds of ways and you know this
Sheesh-General Cycling has turned into Trollheim. Should be moved way back at the bottom of the list where it was when I joined up. If only to prevent newbies from finding it right away
I was not trying to start an argument. I read Billy's post, was surprised that so many rules were broken and then realized I really dont know the rules, so I looked them up. After reading thru the 7 rules, I figured I would post them and analyze the thread.
If you think I am arguing because I specifically called out referencing my work, that was just a bad joke. A bit of meta humor, I guess.

I really didnt think I was disrespecting Billy's comment, I was just commenting on how I didnt know the rules and then assessed the thread based on the rules.

I didnt forget to include the rule about respecting forum admin. The link said 7 rules and I then took the top 7. There were more, that was confusing, but I went with what the top of the page said.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-06-22, 01:53 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Oh wow. Looking at OP’s thread history and this is some quality trolling. Like, genuinely, big ups.
Likes For walnutz:
Old 04-06-22, 01:55 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,483 Times in 3,207 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz
Oh wow. Looking at OP’s thread history and this is some quality trolling.
I did the same and was ... somewhat entertained ... in a driving slowly by a highway crash pile-up sorta way.

But what if it's not trolling? What if he's ... serious?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-06-22, 01:59 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
How is it Fred has so much luck with the girls? Share your secret, Fred.
this thread could moderate toward some Recumbency
Old 04-06-22, 02:00 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by walnutz
I see your point , but how about just treating them like adult humans that are not related to you?
Thank you. I was trying to come up with something, but you stated it better than I could have.

Aside from the obvious Title IX implications in a workplace, a father-daughter relationship is very different from the relationships one has with other women.

Last edited by Koyote; 04-06-22 at 02:13 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-06-22, 02:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I did the same and was ... somewhat entertained ... in a driving slowly by a highway crash pile-up sorta way.

But what if it's not trolling? What if he's ... serious?
I have actually met "Larry" in the flesh and he's a big, friendly, kinda goofy guy. Reminds me a bit of a Golden Retriever, honestly.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-06-22, 02:08 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have actually met "Larry" in the flesh and he's a big, friendly, kinda goofy guy. Reminds me a bit of a Golden Retriever, honestly.
You lost me at "flesh."
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-06-22, 02:10 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by njkayaker
I'm assuming you offered to pull him.
I'm taking Larry at his word.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-06-22, 02:12 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
And after reviewing some of his posts (I’ve been away for awhile) it’s pretty clear to me that Larry’s on the spectrum. From now on I will be regarding his posts with this in mind.
Old 04-06-22, 02:14 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Due to my injury I was a good bit slower than most of the men in the club, thus I was often riding among or in near proximity to the ladies in the club. By and large most of the ladies were just as friendly and cooperative as the men. There were a couple of outliers, and would be remiss to try and discuss their motivation for being that way. Only one lady with the club was actually 'negative' about having men ride in close proximity to her. The bigger problem that I had was attitude from the significant others of some of those ladies. Very jealous and crossing over to pure asinine behavior out of two of them. One of them actually threatened me with physical harm, and myself and his wife/gf were fine with each other in spite of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.