Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

N+1 Flat/Swept Bars - Wide Tire - Gravel Bike

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 12-18-22, 01:41 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts

I have a skinny tire road bike (custom frame, love it). And I have a Surly Cross Check that I use for mixed surface rides, rail trails, and as my winter bike when roads are safe(38mm Barlow Pass in summer, and 40mm Ventures for gravel and winter).

I was thinking I might like either a mountain bike or another gravel bike, but I want to try swept back bars (I’ve had mountain bike and flat/wide bars not comfortable for me). I want 2.1” or bigger, and would use only on gravel trails, the odd mountain bike trail (not technical). Would use flat pedals and want to be more upright (bars about level with saddle). Maybe I’ll love the bars and be a convert...won’t know until I try. Was thinking of a used hardtail and then adding bars that I want. Could also go new and have the shop help with dialing it in. New gravel bikes are typically more than I want to pay. Thoughts!?
Old 12-18-22, 04:26 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I've tried many different types of handlebars over the years....Riser bars with 20-40mm of raise and with few degrees of back sweep, Ergon grips and bar ends are most comfortable for me and give me the best handling over rough terrain., I have riser bars on all of my 3 bikes.
Old 12-18-22, 06:10 PM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I've tried many different types of handlebars over the years....Riser bars with 20-40mm of raise and with few degrees of back sweep, Ergon grips and bar ends are most comfortable for me and give me the best handling over rough terrain., I have riser bars on all of my 3 bikes.
Ive seen Ergon grips. Do you mean bar end shifters when you say ‘bar ends’?
Old 12-18-22, 06:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
Ive seen Ergon grips. Do you mean bar end shifters when you say ‘bar ends’?
I am talking about bar-ends that I can grab onto for a different hand position
Old 12-20-22, 09:49 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Alt Bars

I have a skinny tire road bike (custom frame, love it). And I have a Surly Cross Check that I use for mixed surface rides, rail trails, and as my winter bike when roads are safe(38mm Barlow Pass in summer, and 40mm Ventures for gravel and winter).

I was thinking I might like either a mountain bike or another gravel bike, but I want to try swept back bars (I’ve had mountain bike and flat/wide bars not comfortable for me). I want 2.1” or bigger, and would use only on gravel trails, the odd mountain bike trail (not technical). Would use flat pedals and want to be more upright (bars about level with saddle). Maybe I’ll love the bars and be a convert...won’t know until I try. Was thinking of a used hardtail and then adding bars that I want. Could also go new and have the shop help with dialing it in. New gravel bikes are typically more than I want to pay. Thoughts!?
There are quite a few suspension corrected and/or fully rigid bikes out there designed around flat bars. Going with a used hard tail, and converting to swept bars should be fine. I'm currently using the Velo Orange Granola Bar on a fatty that I primarily use for winter gravel riding, but also some technical single track. Highly recommend. Granola Bar

If you end up with an early 90's mtb, maybe something like the Klunker bar would be what you're looking for? I have one of those that I built up with modern components to use as an occasional gravel bike/single track/commuter bike. While I'm ok with a little saddle to handlebar drop the bike puts me in, the Klunker bar would likely be a big improvement....might need to get longer cables to make that happen, lol
Likes For Craptacular8:
Old 12-20-22, 11:57 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I can't say I've tried all the bars, but sometimes it feels like it. For my wide-tire gravel bikes, my current favorites are the Ritchey Kyote and the Soma Dream Riser (original). The Ritchey doesn't have much rise, but the Soma does (and comes in other versions with more and less rise and sweep). I also like the SQLabs 30X (16º version), which feels more like a traditional mountain bike riser.

My happy place for sweep is anywhere from 16º to 25º, but not everyone likes that much. Also, be prepared to try several stem lengths. A cm or two can make a big difference.

As for bike choice, a used hardtail (or used anything) is going to have the steerer tube already cut, which can be a disadvantage when dialing in the handlebar height. But I know several people who ride rigid 29er mountain bikes as gravel rigs; their geometry might be a better match for a riser than retrofitting a drop-bar frame, and you might not have to spring for new brake/shift levers.
Old 12-20-22, 07:02 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Neck pain from an old fracture is putting me more upright. I changed my Cross Check to Velo Orange "Tourist" bars. Basic North Road/ Albatross type setup. Liking it so far. Hey, if the Rivbike guys ride all over on this type of setup, I should be fine.......

Likes For gorillimo:
Old 12-21-22, 10:04 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts

I was thinking I might like either a mountain bike or another gravel bike, but I want to try swept back bars (I’ve had mountain bike and flat/wide bars not comfortable for me). I want 2.1” or bigger, and would use only on gravel trails, the odd mountain bike trail (not technical).

Thoughts!?
like your ideas - bike with flat or swept back bar can be a good addition

as you aware - flat bars are not comfortable for many (especially long rides) - but the swept back bars might offer more comfort (?) ... I dunno ... flat or riser bars are fine for us - but we do primarily short rides

we have some old mountain bikes and hybrid bikes we use for paved bike paths, crushed limestone paths, dirt roads and light trails (all have flat or riser bars)

we typically go with the 26” bikes that have 2.1 tires and/or 700c bikes with 38-40mm tires (preferably) when we will be riding the dirt roads and light trails ... typically 25 miles or less ... few hours

I do miss drop bars when we are riding for extended periods (and have a ‘gravel bike’ with drop bars I plan to ride beginning next year)

Last edited by t2p; 12-21-22 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-22-22, 11:29 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 94 Posts
Swept back does not necessarily mean you loose the drop position or get up high. One can invert Albatross or NR style bars, and the "rise" ends up being a very comfortable drop position, in my opinion. You need to reach back for controls, but the drop position is for cruising anyway.

Here is a not so great shot from the wrong side, but you can see the bars.

i find this quite comfortable in the swept part and plenty long in the shallow drops.
Old 02-18-23, 10:05 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
I love bars with a good sweep for city riding but I'm curious how they handle on dirt trails. I think for unpaved flat river trails they'd be fine but what about actual mountain biking trails (not necessarily technical, but with some elevation changes)?

Other than that, I think it's a great idea to do a sweep bar setup on an old 26er hardtail or a 70c hybrid/cyclocross frame.
Old 02-18-23, 05:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Noonievut you gave no indication of an acceptable price range, but the Breezer Doppler Cafe+ comes fitted with a back-swept handlebar and can fit 2.1”/55mm rubber on its 650b wheelset. MSRP is $1.4k.

I have one which I use for gravel cruising and I quite like it. It’s not a sports and it’s pretty heavy at around 31lbs, but the gearing is low and the 48mm tubeless rubber I run makes it feel like a Bentley Arnage. I have another gravel bike for racing and fast rides, the T-Lab X3, so it seems like I use the Breezer in the way you imagine such a bike would fit in your life.

Admittedly, I did swap out the OE handlebar for a straight bar, to which I fixed SQ Lab inner bar ends to allow a more aero tuck when out on the open road, but that was more for looks rather than that I had a problem with the swept bar.

Here are pics as stock and my setup:

Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-19-23, 10:50 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
I love bars with a good sweep for city riding but I'm curious how they handle on dirt trails. I think for unpaved flat river trails they'd be fine but what about actual mountain biking trails (not necessarily technical, but with some elevation changes)?

Other than that, I think it's a great idea to do a sweep bar setup on an old 26er hardtail or a 70c hybrid/cyclocross frame.
I've been good with mine over some moderate trails. The hooks let me stretch out for climbing. The sweep back lets me get rearward for descents,......

Last edited by gorillimo; 02-20-23 at 09:02 AM.
Likes For gorillimo:
Old 02-22-23, 06:14 PM
Noonievut

I ended up getting a full suspension mountain bike. Stock bars (7-8 sweep?) felt so wide to me so I had them cut down. Still wasn’t great.

Got some bars with 12 sweep, Ergon grips and the bars were also cut down. Much better. I’ve been out on some gravel trails twice, an indoor bike park, and an around-town, urban ride. It’s too early to conclude anything but a) I’m really digging the FS mountain bike and it opens up a lot of options for riding in my general area and beyond, and b) the bars feel better but I may try 17 degrees or so. Good thing with flat bars is no bar tape to deal with.