Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any old guys here doing strength training?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-20-22, 02:46 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3407 Post(s)
Liked 3,540 Times in 1,782 Posts

So what kind of Winter strength training do Bike Forums old guys (all genders) do?

Since it's the time of year we spend more time indoors than outdoors, I've been thinking about doing some full body strength training. Because:
  1. to maintain some of that mid-season fitness
  2. to do something about this "98 pound weakling" cyclist physique
  3. health experts say resistance training is important for us olds to maintain strength
  4. I've never done it before, might as well try something new
I started doing some at-home exercises: squats, planks, bicycle crunches (love that name), dumbbells, ballerina jumping jacks (don't laugh, they're hard). Feels pretty good, so far. And it's surprising good aerobic exercise.

What are others doing?

BTW, here's a bicycle crunch:

Image credit: Amy White, amybcrandall@gmail.com

And ballerina jumping jacks:

Last edited by terrymorse; 01-07-23 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-20-22, 03:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
I'm light, skinny, long and have cyclist's many times wrecked shoulders. I do a very simple round of 6 exercises specifically for my shoulders that 1) give me useful strength and far lessen the chances of dislocating my left shoulder that is missing most of its soft tissue. Those are bench press with seat inclined (for me, very hard), free standing curls (they help me with just my arms and posture), "rows" - pulling the barbell thighs to shoulder high, near straight arm lifts if dumbbells from both in front and the sides and finish with regular bench presses. Quick routine but it helps a lot in general life, in the yard and garage and climbing, especially on the fix gear. Also keeps my injury free save the minor ones from less than fully attentive lifts.

I've been struggling with low level ongoing issues on the bike (I really need to ride all winter to have injury free fix gear experiences at Cycle Oregon) and burnout. So I've started walking. I clearly need weight bearing exercises and probably need to focus on that the rest of my life as I am clearly paying for basically just riding for 50 years.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-20-22, 05:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yes. A good introduction to the subject can be found here: https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...e-athlete.html

The thread includes PDFs for all the different workouts I do, starting in fall and going into the competition season. I started strength training for cycling over 20 years ago and by 2016 I'd become a little more sophisticated about it. My wife and I still use those same workouts now. I'm most of the way through the Gethin Momentum workouts. Last week, I did my 4th squat set with 107% of bodyweight. I started with 40% back in October. I'm frankly amazed at how light the pedals feel now, watts are up at the same low HRs I'm having to use.

Those PDFs have columns for me and my wife, hence the letter labels for them. Going to the gym with your SO is more fun. Their set gives you just enough recovery time to do your next one and it's best if you both stay strong.
Old 12-20-22, 06:03 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Yes, at 83 I do a regular series of strength training using a variety of resistance items. I put together my own set that I do every two to three days. This includes dips on a dip bar, some weights, heavy bands, push-ups, 1.5 to 3 minute planks, unweighted squats, etc. I lost my Pull-Ups due to a shoulder injury 3 years ago but I'm slowly working on getting them back. I also do 20 minutes of daily stretching, primarily of my lower body and back, due to having a cantankerous back. Add in swimming 40 minutes four times a week, indoor trainer 30 minutes daily, and walking.

Last edited by gobicycling; 12-20-22 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-20-22, 06:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I do a TRX workout twice a week. There's a seemingly infinite variety of exercises you can do, and they will kick your butt. https://stack52.com/periodic-table-o...ion-exercises/
Old 12-20-22, 07:16 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I do a TRX workout twice a week. There's a seemingly infinite variety of exercises you can do, and they will kick your butt. https://stack52.com/periodic-table-o...ion-exercises/
Thanks for the reminder. I used to do TRX and have stopped. I need to start it again.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 12-20-22, 07:31 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Squats. Bench presses and/or push-ups..Occasionally incline dumbell presses. Lat pull-downs. Cable rows. Tricep press-downs. Barbell curls. Done.
Old 12-20-22, 07:32 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by gobicycling
Yes, at 83 I do a regular series of strength training using a variety of resistance items. I put together my own set that I do every two to three days. This includes dips on a dip bar, some weights, heavy bands, push-ups, 1.5 to 3 minute planks, unweighted squats, etc. I lost my Pull-Ups due to a shoulder injury 3 years ago but I'm slowly working on getting them back. I also do 20 minutes of daily stretching, primarily of my lower body and back, due to having a cantankerous back. Add in swimming 40 minutes four times a week, indoor trainer 30 minutes daily, and walking.
Wow. Just wow.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-20-22, 08:34 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Yep, I go to the gym 2-3x/week, and have a personal trainer show me new exercises every other week using a variety of weights and body weight events. Gotta keep the bones strong and the belly off.
Sam
Likes For sam21fire:
Old 12-20-22, 08:50 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Squats, deads, split squats, pull-ups, dips, overhead presses, inverted rows, and various ab things, in some combination, twice a week during the off season. I do as much standing work as possible and with as much weight as I can safely lift, in order to increase the loading on the crunchy old bones.

I have this place to play in at work and I usually have it to myself.

Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-21-22, 06:31 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 727 Posts
45 minutes twice a week, upper body, core and legs. My cycling training plan has a simple guideline for strength training; avoid the "no pain, no gain" mindset, if the workout hurts cycling the next day it's too much.
Old 12-21-22, 10:11 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Squats, deads, split squats, pull-ups, dips, overhead presses, inverted rows, and various ab things, in some combination, twice a week during the off season. I do as much standing work as possible and with as much weight as I can safely lift, in order to increase the loading on the crunchy old bones.

I have this place to play in at work and I usually have it to myself.
I've read that the stress needs to be about 10% of the breaking strength of the bone to get results. I have no idea how much that is, though. Many recommend using plyo instead of weights to get enough G loading, but I'm nervous about plyo because it's hard to say how much is enough until one discovers that through injury. Skiing moguls might work, I don't know. They say running doesn't work, not enough impact. I know, many recommend walking or running, but I don't think there's any research to back that up. Ultra runners get bone loss similar to cyclists. I've read research showing that taking 1g of calcium before a sweaty workout helps, but others say that's BS.
Old 12-21-22, 10:13 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I'm 78. Have a basic home gym that's not as elaborate as Gobicycling's setup. I'm jealous. Basic adjustable weight bench and a set of dumbbells. I alternate sets for chest/shoulders and arms/back. When the Wyoming weather allows, I alternate strength training says with rides. This month, when the high for tomorrow is forecast to 10 below, I alternate weights session with yoga/stretching and pray for better weather.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 12-21-22, 10:30 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
I'm 72 years young but have always strength trained in one form or another. Always been on the thin side, but athletic, and trying my best to keep in shape. Just starting to resume working a bit on my left wrist/arm since breaking the wrist 6 months ago. Working it out, but not so hard as to set progress back. Don't have rollers or a bike trainer at home but belong to a gym with plenty of machines and weights for a workout. Plus have a Soloflex, hand weights, and a nice treadmill, at home. Never gave it much thought, guess it all just became part of a routine.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 12-21-22, 10:53 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've read that the stress needs to be about 10% of the breaking strength of the bone to get results. I have no idea how much that is, though. Many recommend using plyo instead of weights to get enough G loading, but I'm nervous about plyo because it's hard to say how much is enough until one discovers that through injury. Skiing moguls might work, I don't know. They say running doesn't work, not enough impact. I know, many recommend walking or running, but I don't think there's any research to back that up. Ultra runners get bone loss similar to cyclists. I've read research showing that taking 1g of calcium before a sweaty workout helps, but others say that's BS.
I read that with interest when you posted it before, but I've also seen clinical data suggesting big gains even in inexperienced people with very moderate weight-bearing resistance training. It's on my list of things to read up on.

In any case, I have, pan-spinal disc disease, a cervical fusion with two prosthetic discs, an old L3 herniation, residual spinal cord damage, and a left vastus medialis that's still fasculating. I have no expert opinion to support this, but I think my days of shock loading (beyond walking downstairs at work) are done.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 12-21-22 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-21-22, 11:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
circuit training at the gym 2-3 times a week at lunchtime w/ 15 stations
I like it because it is safe, predictable & helps me focus instead of wandering trying to keep track of what I'm doing or have done
one can establish a base routine of sets & reps & weights for each station
one can adjust as the weeks progress
then after more weeks or months, one can make gradual increases in the weights where appropriate
this was very helpful for recovering from an A/C joint sprain last February. I'm in a good place now & am progressively increasing some weights where I want
lunchtime during the week is good because no one expects anything from me, it's my time
on days where I may be dragging I'm at least getting my reps in
on days where I'm feeling better, I can perform better or make a small increase somewhere

not my gym just an example of a "circuit"
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-21-22, 11:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
guess it all just became part of a routine.

reminds me of something our phys ed coach said in college. something to the effect of: "you're going to learn lifelong techniques to stay in shape"
Old 12-21-22, 12:11 PM
yannisg

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
I use to go to the gym twice a week even though I had a bench, various weights and TRX in my basement.
I stopped going to the gym since Covid, and use my basement equipment once a week.
I do quite a lot of heavy land work which keeps my upper body, arms and waist in shape.
The weather here is great, and I can almost ride every day if I chose to. I haven't used my trainer for over 2 years.
Likes For yannisg:
Old 12-21-22, 05:41 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

Since it's the time of year we spend more time indoors than outdoors, I've been thinking about doing some full body strength training. Because

What are others doing?
Who is this we that you speak off ??....As for what are others doing ?...I ride outdoors all year round.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-21-22, 07:47 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Who is this we that you speak off ??....As for what are others doing ?...I ride outdoors all year round.
Good for you.

Old 12-21-22, 08:53 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
At my age (68) I have to. Losing muscle mass is deadly to seniors so I do strength training using both a Total Gym and a TRX. Also, I ski fairly regularly in addition to keeping up the cycling when it's not raining. I not only enjoy these activities (not so much the Total Gym) but consider them a case of life (i.e. continued good health) or death (i.e. rapid health decline and susceptibility to age-related diseases).
Likes For davester:
Old 12-21-22, 09:44 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I read that with interest when you posted it before, but I've also seen clinical data suggesting big gains even in inexperienced people with very moderate weight-bearing resistance training. It's on my list of things to read up on.

In any case, I have, pan-spinal disc disease, a cervical fusion with two prosthetic discs, an old L3 herniation, residual spinal cord damage, and a left vastus medialis that's still fasculating. I have no expert opinion to support this, but I think my days of shock loading (beyond walking downstairs at work) are done.
If you mean bone mass, I'd love to see that data.
Old 12-22-22, 08:00 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
That sounds awfully high. Good bones are so strong that I'd expect joint damage if you tried to load them at 90% of bone strength.

I'd think ultra runners lose bone mass like long distance cyclists -- they sweat so much they end up losing calcium. Probably not applicable to casual walkers or runners.
Old 12-22-22, 08:14 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
I have had shoulder and back problems through the years, so mainly what the physical therapists have taught me. A combo of elastic bands, dumbells and a weight machine, but nothing exceptionally heavy. I just don't want to be a blob as I get older.

But I'd much rather ride my bike. Even if it's on a trainer.
Likes For bblair:
Old 12-22-22, 12:05 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by pdlamb
That sounds awfully high. Good bones are so strong that I'd expect joint damage if you tried to load them at 90% of bone strength.

I'd think ultra runners lose bone mass like long distance cyclists -- they sweat so much they end up losing calcium. Probably not applicable to casual walkers or runners.
Unfortunately, the calcium loss theory isn't reality. That's what I used to think, too. The amount of calcium lost in sweat is miniscule, easily more than replaced by any decent electrolyte combo. When we exercise hard, our bodies pull calcium out of our bones. Then when we quit, it's supposed to be put back. That last step doesn't always happen. AFAIK, medical science is clueless about the why. Maybe it's the duration? We are endurance hunters, but maybe today's athletes are pushing the length of time at high effort beyond what our DNA allows?

The only thing I can suggest to try is to take 1g of calcium 1 hour before exercise. OTOH, that's also associated with heart issues, but IDK if that's with athletes or just the relatively sedentary. In my case, some of the calcium pulled out of my bones wound up in my coronary arteries. That's not unknown among endurance athletes, oddly enough is mostly harmless, and happened long before I discovered that I had an osteoporosis problem and started taking calcium.

IDK about the joint damage theory either. Plyo is supposed to load a person's bones with as much as 4G. Thinking about evolution and how good that is at optimization, my guess is that's a pretty high bone loading. Bones need to be as light as they can be and not break. That 10% of breaking strength should be pretty easy to hit. That said, plyo is known to have a high injury potential. And that said, among cyclists broken bones seem to happen a lot more frequently than torn connective tissue.

This is a really complicated subject and amazingly, one that's little studied. Probably no money in it. For further info, I recommend googling "osteogenic loading", "bone loading during exercise", and "breaking strength of human bones" (engineers only),

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.