Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Locktite on tubeless valve stems?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-25-23, 10:02 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts

my first wheel I used a Stans value and really tightened it down after a ride or it has not lost air in am month. the second wheel I used muc-off valve as I was told the Stans can pull through. it came loose a few times and I finally used some lcoktite on it. the Stans find;ly came loose I checked it when I noticed the tire was low after the last ride. so I used locktite on it. is this normal? the next set of wheels I jut used locktite right away.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 01-27-23 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-27-23, 11:08 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
my first wheel I sued a Stans value and really tightened it down after a ride r tow it has not lost air in am month. the second wheel I used s muc-off valve as I was told the Stans can pull through. it came loose a few times and I finally used some lcoktite on it. the Stans find;ly came loose I checked it when I noticed the tire was low after the last ride. so I used locktite on it. is this normal? the next set of wheels I jut used locktite right away.
Think how much easier it would be to read your post if you proof read it first. As to your question, there are not many (any?) people reporting the need to Loctite their valves.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 01-27-23, 03:08 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Think how much easier it would be to read your post if you proof read it first. As to your question, there are not many (any?) people reporting the need to Loctite their valves.
so why do the nuts come loose? maybe all the temp- swings?
Old 01-27-23, 05:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I've suspected that the valve base is somewhat compressible and with initial use there is some settling in that needs to be taken up. Or perhaps the valve base shape is not the best fit for the rim's internal shape. Either way i would avoid going to such a pain in the butt reversable method. Andy
Old 01-27-23, 05:57 PM
fooferdoggie 

I thin k it is worse on the muc-off as the face of the nut is hollow for a o ring. the blue locktite is easy but a easier way it to just use another nut and tighten them together, but I find if the valves stay tight I don't lose any air. I went a month on the back without adding air till the valve came loose.
Old 01-27-23, 06:37 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
so why do the nuts come loose? maybe all the temp- swings?
Because they were never properly tightened in the first place?
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 01-27-23, 07:19 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Because they were never properly tightened in the first place?
I use pairs to tighten them. not sure how tight they needed to be really. I made them pretty snug.
Old 01-27-23, 08:31 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
The trick is to push the rubber grommet/seal with as much force as you can muster "into" the valve stem hole from the other side of the rim as you tighten the presta nut, as you're installing the valve stem in the first place. When you think it's tight enough, take a breath, push as hard as you can on the rubber grommet again with your thumb, and try and tighten the nut a little more. I have approximately a million miles on tubeless tires personally, and I also own a bike shop where we have set up what must be thousands of tubeless tires for customers. The presta nut loosening is never, ever a problem if you have reasonably strong hands and fingers, and know this little trick. Pliers? Loctite? Not necessary at all.

Last edited by well biked; 01-27-23 at 08:54 PM.
Likes For well biked:
Old 01-27-23, 08:32 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I use pairs to tighten them. not sure how tight they needed to be really. I made them pretty snug.
In decoding another of your posts, I'm thinking you mean pliers. Just giving you a hard time, but come on, do a little proofreading before you post.
Old 01-27-23, 09:01 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by well biked
In decoding another of your posts, I'm thinking you mean pliers. Just giving you a hard time, but come on, do a little proofreading before you post.
sorry my typing is so bad and apple is terrible about replacing words. ya good idea on pushing down instead of working so hard to tighten the nut. though with my wimpy hands I may be stuck using tools.
Another lesson learned when I did my second bike at my shop the rim was at most 60 degrees and I had a hell of a time getting the dt-swiss tape to stick to it or its self. I bet I have to replace the tape at some time. I was surprised both tires I changed to were easier to get on then the wire bead tires they replaced.
Old 01-28-23, 10:16 AM
Telkwa

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
foofer, I feel your pain.
I also have had a rough time with tubeless.
Something I don't see in these conversations - what if you have offset rims? My sole experience with tubeless has been with our Bontrager offset rims. Because of the offset profile, the valve stem nut only contacts the rim on one side.
I bought the official Bontrager tubeless kits for our bikes (wife and me). Goop, valve stems, and thick plastic rim strip. The Bontrager rim strips have a little recess that's supposed to hold the valve stem in place but the recess is shallow and the valve stem will pop out of the recess with little effort. A person can try pushing from the back during installation but because of the offset rim and poor contact with the valve stem nut it all seems shaky. I tried double-nutting the valve stem but no matter what I did the valve stem would leak air with just a nudge of a finger. Not confidence-inspiring.
Old 01-28-23, 11:07 AM
fooferdoggie 

they are standard rims. it seems I have it though. what they need is a curved one way washer before the nut. the Stans valve went a month before loosening I never lost air the whole time. its not really a big deal and most like just not tight enough the videos you see don't really indicate how tight they need to be.
Old 01-28-23, 01:56 PM
yannisg

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
I've mostly used Stan's tubeless valves since 2012 when I first started using tubeless road tires.
I always had to tighten them down with pliers so they would loose air.
That forced me to carry small pair with me on rides in case I had to installed an inner tube in a torn tubeless tire.
I agree that a lot has to do with the rim profile as how well the valve seals to the rim