Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rust

Old 01-28-23, 06:58 PM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Rust

I am working on de-rusting a chain off a bike that will be donated. I have soaked it in vinegar, the flushed with paint thinner. I have wire brushed it and now have it soaking in evaporust. It is getting better but still has some rust, but it improves each time I brush it. The chain has little wear, and one stiff link that I've already worked loose.

Is there a downside to leaving it in the Evaporust for multiple days? Is it true that as long as it is submerged that it won't rust any further and if I flush it with water when I am finished and then dry and oil it will be OK? Thanks!
Old 01-28-23, 07:08 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
If you can get it flexible and oiled it will be 'okay' for a while. But how long depends on how deep the corrosion ate into the metal. I usually only do what you're doing instead of replacing when I know the person getting the bike won't appreciate it or take care of it anyway. Otherwise, for the cost of a chain I'd replace it. I'm assuming this is a single speed or under 8 speed bike. Good luck,
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 01-28-23, 07:10 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
I have found the old rust comes off on its own as long as its well lubed. ATF works wonders for this. The best resurrection of a heavily rusted chain I have seen was my neighbor. He put it in a Rock Tumbler with light sand for a few hours.

Over the past years I have come to consider chains an expendable item when it comes to rust and wear...
Old 01-28-23, 09:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Since nothing can reverse rust to functional steel, there's no percentage in trying to go farther with this.

Rinse it, dry, mount and lube and you're fine. Any internal rust that matters will wear off as rubbing surfaces buff back to a worn shine. External rust is purely cosmetic and won't be noticeable with use.

For future reference, you can skip the rust removal steps, and mount & oil chain and ride.

By analogy think of railroad tracks. They rust, and the passing trains do the maintenance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-28-23 at 09:47 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-29-23, 08:29 AM
harrier6

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts
Makes me feel better about the light amount of rust I get after rainy days now due to my chain waxing habit. Lubricant is a lot harder to remove between the pins and plates where it counts
Old 01-29-23, 09:59 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Years ago my 3 speed's bike's chain seriously rusted. I got is free enough to use, lubed and set it's tension. After a few rides the chain was drooping a lot like the tension was way too little. What had happened was that the rust had "rubbed" off the contact surfaces and that loss of material (the surface rust) in each link left space behind. I removed the chain, cleaned off the lube/rust slurry and re tensioned (yes, I know the chain really has zero tension when set best) the chain and didn't look back. Andy
Old 01-29-23, 10:38 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I'll use a light wire wheel with my hand held drill for rust on chains, bolts, nuts if need be. I've used the wire wheel with pneumatic die grinder, but 12,000 rpm is faster than recommended safe use. Sure toook it down quickly, lol
Old 01-29-23, 10:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Don't do anything for the rust on your chain. At most just brush it off with a wire brush. Certainly don't use vinegar on anything bicycle. Unless perhaps you are pickling a bare aluminum frame you are about to paint.

For all my rusty chains on the kids bikes when they left them out in the elements, I just sprayed them down with a light lubricant or even a penetrating oil or WD-40. They'll loosen up after a ride or two. If they don't then find anther chain. Rust on the chain is mostly on the surface and it's mainly just cosmetic after you get the side plates loosened up.
Old 01-29-23, 12:08 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
I am working on de-rusting a chain off a bike that will be donated. I have soaked it in vinegar, the flushed with paint thinner. I have wire brushed it and now have it soaking in evaporust. It is getting better but still has some rust, but it improves each time I brush it. The chain has little wear, and one stiff link that I've already worked loose.
Is it really worth the effort? Oil the chain, ride the bike around the block, wipe off excess oil.
Is there a downside to leaving it in the Evaporust for multiple days?
None at all, just don't let it dry up.
Is it true that as long as it is submerged that it won't rust any further and if I flush it with water when I am finished and then dry and oil it will be OK? Thanks!
That's my experience with Evapo-Rust..
Old 01-29-23, 04:18 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
After all these heroic efforts to salvage the chain, don't forget to measure it for elongation. A little rust on the load-bearing parts goes a long way; visible rust is more of an esthetic thing.
Old 01-30-23, 12:23 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
New chains are not expensive...
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 01-31-23, 10:37 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
I’ve soaked metal parts and fasteners in EvapoRust for weeks

no adverse effects that I was aware of

appearance of some parts can change a bit (more) however

( I often soak in WD40 after and/or will hit some with wire brush )

I believe EvapoRust will work better and faster at certain temps - if it is cold it can take much more time to be effective
Old 01-31-23, 10:38 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
New chains are not expensive...
This is what I was thinking. Too much time and effort spent trying to remove rust from a chain.
Likes For prj71:
Old 01-31-23, 12:24 PM
louky

Thanks for all the replies. I should have stated at the outset that this was a donated bike which I am trying to get functioning to re-donate to a homeless organization. The goal is to get the bikes in rideable condition at the lowest cost, so that I can do more bikes. I could put a new chain on this, but it would double the cost on this particular bike so I feel I can invest some labor to keep from spending that money, which will free it up for the next one.

I did measure the chain for wear before I started, and after the derusting.
Likes For louky:
Old 01-31-23, 12:50 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
I refurbish and donate rusty discarded bikes and I soak the chains in kerosene after removing as much rust as possible with a wire wheel.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 01-31-23, 02:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
louky as I have said time is money and some bikes are just not worth a lot so if putting some good wet lube and letting it soak in for a day or two is not going to get it working well just move on to a new chain. Spending a ton of time trying to remove rust from a wear item, that might be worn out is just not worth it. I bet if you asked a shop and said "hey I am repairing some bikes for the unhoused and need some new 8 speed chains is there anything you can do to help out" they might help or maybe an employee might help or maybe not but it would be an easy quick try.
Old 01-31-23, 08:26 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
i did measure the chain for wear before i started, and after the derusting.
+1
Old 02-01-23, 06:03 AM
louky

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I refurbish and donate rusty discarded bikes and I soak the chains in kerosene after removing as much rust as possible with a wire wheel.
That sounds like a good plan going forward to me. Thanks!
Old 02-01-23, 11:28 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Scott CR1 SL, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 121 Posts
That sounds like a good plan going forward to me. Thanks!
sure, if you don't mind the smell and nonscheduled high. Like others said, if chain links are loose, the rust won't even be visible when lubricated.