Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Back packs/ruck sacks for Foldaway bike?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Back packs/ruck sacks for Foldaway bike?

Old 04-12-14, 02:54 PM
CameraMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Brompton fits into a TNL XL Base Camp Duffel :-)

The fit is snug for width - but the bike fits with the standard fold i.e. without removing anything.
The bag has compression straps on the sides and I used the backpack straps to pull together end ends; it really does conform to the minimum size of the folded bike.
I think I have succeeded in finding my 'no one would guess it's a bike' bag

Old 04-12-14, 03:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Ah Shoulder straps , that makes it worth hauling.. except strapping the length makes them hard to use.. it seems ..
Old 07-16-14, 03:35 PM
1dingdong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I traveled with my wife to France recently with my Bike Friday folders. I boxed them up in the US with boxes of no more than 62 linear inches. ( airline requirements) The boxes took a while to design. I used rolled up cardboard tubes to prevent the bikes from getting crushed and heavy duty parachute cord and duck tape to secure everything. The cord gives you a handle. This concept works great, you can reuse them, they are lighter than a suitcase so you can ship more stuff inside the boxes, you can ditch the boxes like we did when you arrive, you dont have to tow the suitcase around on your bikes, its easy to find cardboard to build return flight boxes. They are not too easy to carry and are susceptible to rain, our boxes survived a terrible storm in New Jersey and then in France, we couldn't have used them again. Maybe wax them? Good luck.
Old 07-17-14, 06:26 PM
sdwphoto

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
I have three Ikea Dimpa bags total cost $12 plus tax.My Brompton fits into them perfectly,it has carry straps to carry by hand or on your shoulder.The bag is stronger than it looks and carries the bike without a problem.I don't doubt the Dimpa could be modified to work as a back pack if someone is looking for a budget bag.Attaching extra straps to it should not be that much of a problem and the material is really strong.
Old 06-23-15, 09:04 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
It was suggested that I add my review here. It's been a long time since I've seen a post here that I forgot about this stickie.
First a bit of background. I had my 2013 Brompton S6L-X for 2 years now. I've used the Brompton cover a few times in
places that I felt carrying a folding bike in may get me turned away; museums, restaurants, hotels, etc. When I travel on a
plane; I use cardboard boxes. So that's why I've decided to try the S and S travel Backpack; plus I used my store credit to buy
it.

Paid US$250; came in a few days after shop(Piermont Bikes, NY) ordered it. Pretty comfortable with my 10 kg. bike inside.
Unpadded; comes with some plastic shields(4 pieces) that go around the perimeter(top, bottom, left & right sides). Backside and front side, no protection.
There are pockets on both front and back where one could put clothes in and this would act as some sort of protection/padding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8figRI2iTxs&index=1&list=UUHyRS8bRu6zPoymgKaIoDLA
Old 08-13-15, 07:35 AM
Roegmann

Bikes: Pacific Cycles GT, Downtube Mini 2015 version, LitePro Crius 14"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try a hunter's backpack (especially a bowhunting one), like the Exo-Mountain Gear (my brother-in-law uses this one). It has a compressible space for the bike and a limited backpack. There are many others in varying sizes by several makers, but this should do the trick for hauling, collapsing (but NOT fold away). None of them are cheap, but they will last a lifetime.

If you just want a carrier, you can get what they call a meat hauler, which is just a frame with straps. Of course it does not collapse, but you can get varying sizes (some quite small and some fold down). Kuiu makes a very light frame with straps, so it takes almost no space.
Old 07-11-16, 05:28 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Just an update on my last post here; #57:
Dahon Speed Uno in S & S Backpack by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Bike is stock except for added brake and stock front tire swapped for Schwalbe Durano Mango, 20x1.10. A bit skinnier than the stock tire. I had to remove the seatpost for a better fit. FOLDED SIZE 30 X 77 X 64 Cm (11.7" X 30" X 25")

Bag's dimensions 26"X26"X10'. Full review of the bag here:
Old 09-09-16, 09:03 AM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In many towns there are custom bag makers that work cheap. I know two in my town without even having to ask around. One of them is very invention oriented.

Many of the company stock bags I have had for other items work great at the factory but trying to get your tent or whatever back into the bag after the first use is impossible. Slack needs to built into them.
Old 10-09-16, 11:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Upcoming in the bag market is made for the soon to be produced Bike Friday Pack-it to go inside..
Old 11-15-16, 07:34 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
I am getting a Dahon bag for the Dahon bike that should be here by the end of the week, but also a folding dolly so I can wheel the bag down a sidewalk or similar. The dolly folds up fairly small to go on the bike luggage rack while the bike is being ridden.
Old 01-13-17, 09:31 AM
Soumyajit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We just came back from a 21 day tour of Sri Lanka with our 20 inch Tern bikes..We had really planned for a backpack tour and taking the bikes was a last minute idea.
As a result we couldn't arrange for bags for the bikes. We just did a bubble wrap with extra protection for the delicate parts like the derailleur, seats and handles. When we landed in Colombo, we unpacked and left the bubble wrap at someone's place to pack the bike again for our flight back.
We bungee tied our rucksacks on our carriers and did around 600 kilometers, in rides averaging about 50 km.
Not the ideal way to do it..makes the bike top heavy and they toppled over a couple of times when we were waiting on some redlighs and I forgot to support the bike upright between my legs..
In a way I was glad that we didn't take the bike bags as they would have added to the luggage on the carriers, and the rucksacks were a great help to keep our hands free during the times we had to fold our bikes and get on trains (the central parts of Sri Lanka are too mountainous to do with conventional folding bikes..need proper mountain bikes for there)
That is also when I realized that it would be great if I had a bike bag made of very thin lightweight fabric..
Sri Lanka has a rule not to allow bikes on passenger and express trains, that includes folding bikes..unless..they're in a bag..!!
We had to often opt for slow trains with.luggage compartment..and pay almost 4 times the amount of our tickets for the bikes..
Lol but those occasions were few and far between..
All in all it was a lot of fun and a great way to know the country and the people.
Now that we are back, I plans to design and make a bike bag that can fold and go into the rucksack's side pocket
Old 01-13-17, 08:15 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Some use IKEA bags to carry their folders.
Old 05-26-17, 10:53 PM
Classi

Bikes: Raleigh Eva 4.0 mountain, semi vintage men's durasport 441 ten speed (huffy), Susan G Komen multi speed cruiser,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-bag for brompton

I received a used T bag for a bromptom folding bike, as a donation/gift. I have a mountain bike and a cruiser, and don't see myself in the near future buying a bromptom( although you never know) the bag is so nice that I was thinking I could just buy the mounting piece and have someone screw it onto the front of one of my bikes. Since the bromptom's whole thing is the ability to use different bags. I could also modify it myself by screwing a hole through the mounting bracket and using wires/some other way of attaching it to the front end of my bike...I was also wondering if I should just resell the bag, and considering it was 160 new (it's in used but good condition) although I would hate to see it go. If I did this how much should I sell it for? Is 50$ too low? Or would it be better to keep it and modify my own bikes??
Old 05-28-17, 04:01 PM
George3

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Prevent paraplegia

Why and when would you want to carry a folding bike on your back? If you fall on your back carrying a folding bike on it, your spine could be severely damaged IMO. That could cause paraplegia. That would mean that you cannot feel and use your body for the rest of your life, under the location of the spinal damage.

If you need to carry a folding bike on your back, for example to climb stairs with it, while being able to hold safely onto the banister, then use a backpack with an external frame IMO. That might protect your spine from breaking, if you fall with your back on your bike. Additionally you could add a protective layer in the backpack, between your back and the bike. That could be a folded coat and a sheet of thin plywood, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraplegia

External frame backpacks:

Last edited by George3; 05-28-17 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-29-17, 04:08 AM
George3

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
External frame backpacks

Originally Posted by George3
Why and when would you want to carry a folding bike on your back? If you fall on your back carrying a folding bike on it, your spine could be severely damaged IMO. That could cause paraplegia. That would mean that you cannot feel and use your body for the rest of your life, under the location of the spinal damage.

If you need to carry a folding bike on your back, for example to climb stairs with it, while being able to hold safely onto the banister, then use a backpack with an external frame IMO. That might protect your spine from breaking, if you fall with your back on your bike. Additionally you could add a protective layer in the backpack, between your back and the bike. That could be a folded coat and a sheet of thin plywood, etc.
External frame backpacks can be bought cheaply second hand from an army surplus store or webshop. Often the backpack can be removed from the frame, or the bike can be strapped to the outside of the backpack.

The U.S Army developed the riveted A.L.I.C.E ( All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment) Frame pack and later various versions of the M.O.L.L.E Frame (Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment) made from injected plastic.

Old 05-29-17, 04:22 AM
George3

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Brompton Back-Pack - Brompton Folding Bicycle | A to B Magazine
Old 05-29-17, 04:36 AM
George3

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Old 05-29-17, 06:19 AM
George3

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you want to carry a folding-bike in a backpack, the total weight is very important. So 16" wheels are preferrable over 20". And also the rest of your luggage should be kept at a minimum weight. For example you can carry a lightweight jacket, lightweight rain-clothing, not much coins, etc.

Last edited by George3; 05-29-17 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-29-17, 06:58 AM
George3

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Old 05-29-17, 08:18 AM
George3

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This combined shoulder strap and carrier handle seem to be handy. But this girl would be much safer, if she would hold the banister on the stairs.

Last edited by George3; 05-29-17 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-19-17, 12:25 AM
SheilaMerrit

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice tread, I can find all about folding bike in this tread.
Old 12-06-17, 09:33 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This is a view of the Bike Burrito I use to carry my folding bikes. I build these and will be doing a new run of them soon.

Reach out if you are interested. Its always better to sew up several rather than a few.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2013-04-24 15.04.11_trimmed.jpg (66.8 KB, 265 views)
2013-04-24 15.06.33_trimmed.jpg (86.1 KB, 260 views)
Old 12-06-17, 09:38 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
These are some of my suitcase bikes. The cool suitcase also converts to a bike trailer.

The white bike is the new Dahon Visc SL9 (upgraded w/ racks, fenders and chainguard)
The Grey one is the Dahon Eezz D3.

(sorry but these are also in the Dahon Eezz forum)
Attached Images
20171206_194508_HDR_trimmed.jpg (80.9 KB, 258 views)
20171206_194629_HDR_trimmed.jpg (77.1 KB, 257 views)
20171206_194703_HDR_trimmed.jpg (53.6 KB, 256 views)
2017-12-06 20.14.37_trimmed.jpg (837.4 KB, 260 views)
Old 12-07-17, 09:18 AM
wesgreen

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by L Arnold
This is a view of the Bike Burrito I use to carry my folding bikes. I build these and will be doing a new run of them soon.
Cool idea!
Likes For wesgreen: