Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stranded with a flat

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stranded with a flat

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-22, 08:34 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
I carry some inflator cartridges. But to answer your question, yes, an UBER XL will take you home.
I have switched to schwalbe marathon plus tires and tuffy tire liners. That has helped a great deal.
that's a harsh ride the marathons are bad enpugh by themselves and I have 1.5's
Old 10-18-22, 08:55 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Where is that Zen story that suggests you don't need to carry ****? Even the bicycle is superfluous. No matter your material preparation, life will throw something unexpected your way. With the right attitude, you can deal with anything. I like it.

I'm 90% there. I carry the stuff to cover what I think is most likely to happen, and count on my resilience as a human being to take care of the rest.

On the tubeless bikes: plugs, tube, patch kit, dollar bill, sealant, pump.
On the tubed bikes, subtract plugs and sealant.
Unless I'm just riding around town, in which case I might ride naked*. It's very liberating.

Suppose all your **** goes bad. I've seen these things occur on rides: All flat repair used up. BB spindle breaks (me), crankarm comes loose (me), frame breaks, front wheel tacos, seatpost breaks, rear derailleur goes into spokes, handlebar breaks, cell phone charger fails, pedal threads come loose from carbon crankarm, tire rips along bead, axle breaks, bike stolen, bike lost by sleep deprived rider, wallet lost on multi-day ride.

What are you going to do? Walk may or may not be an option.

I think, ultimately, it comes down to asking for help from a stranger. If you're not willing to either ask for help or die, you should probably stay home. You can't carry enough stuff to be self reliant 100% of the time.

*I mean without repair stuff. But actually, participating in one of the world naked bike rides is itself a very liberating experience. Go ahead, make yourself vulnerable.

Last edited by downtube42; 10-18-22 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-18-22, 08:58 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
That's what I'm talking about.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-18-22, 09:15 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
One tube, a mini floor pump, a patch kit with a sealed never opened rubber cement container, and bus tickets always in my wallet if all above fail, never have had to call Uber or a friend or the girlfriend,
Old 10-18-22, 09:16 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
One tube, a mini floor pump, a patch kit with a sealed never opened rubber cement container, and bus tickets always in my wallet if all above fail, never have had to call Uber or a friend or the girlfriend,
Old 10-19-22, 07:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
- Do you carry more than 1 spare tube?
- Do you carry a patch kit?
- Will Uber pick up you and the bike?
  • I do sometimes carry 2 tubes. depends on where I'm riding, like if I'm far from home
  • Yes, to the patch kit, more than 1 actually (this is helpful when carrying only 1 tube)
    • I've patched a tube even tho I was carrying a spare
  • I've used a traditional "taxi' on 2 occasions & my Daughter bailed me out twice
  • I've heard that AAA will also help you if you are a member
Old 10-19-22, 07:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by jon c.
But the patch kit is so old I doubt the glue is still fluid enough to use.
Wulidasheng Bicycle Tire Repair Glue
Old 10-19-22, 07:45 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
On the patch kit tubes of glue. After a few year I’ve found some dried out even when never opened. Just opened one yesterday. While fixing a tube in the garage luckily.
Old 10-19-22, 07:54 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard

During hot weather, it wouldn't be kind to an Uber driver to drench their seats with sweat, so I don't consider that an option.
I work with a guy who drives for Uber on his days off. I don't think there's a bicyclist alive who can out-sweat this guy!
Old 10-19-22, 08:07 AM
Jimriides
NotaNewbie

Bikes: Cannondale FSI - Cannondale R1000 - Firestone Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Flats

I ride Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, haven’t had a flat in years on the road. I have had a low tire after several days. Those tubes get a patch at home.
Likes For Jimriides:
Old 10-19-22, 08:13 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Instead of messing with those small tubes of glue at home, buy a 4 ounce bottle of Elmer's rubber cement. It's universally available at local stores for a couple of bucks. I just clean the area where the patch goes with a little solvent on a Q-tip and then apply the glue with the applicator in the bottle. Let it dry a bit and apply the patch. It bonds just a tightly as the glue that comes in the tubes and the solvent smell is a lot less obnoxious. If the rubber cement gets a little thick, just add some solvent to re-thin it. I use Coleman stove fuel that I use for camping to thin mine.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 10-19-22, 08:37 AM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Ahhh, another use I've found handy for my wife and bike rack.
Old 10-19-22, 08:59 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Instead of messing with those small tubes of glue at home, buy a 4 ounce bottle of Elmer's rubber cement. It's universally available at local stores for a couple of bucks. I just clean the area where the patch goes with a little solvent on a Q-tip and then apply the glue with the applicator in the bottle. Let it dry a bit and apply the patch. It bonds just a tightly as the glue that comes in the tubes and the solvent smell is a lot less obnoxious.
+2

I tend to think there isn't much difference between the glue in the dedicated bike-tube kits vs. automotive tire plug cement vs. a bottle of ordinary rubber cement except possibly the price.... With the tiny bike cement tubes being the most expensive obviously.

I have a little 1/2-pint can of automotive tire plug cement in the garage.... I am sure it'll work on bike tubes, has a nice applicator brush and it'll probably last forever as long as I keep it sealer tight.
Old 10-19-22, 09:01 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
To the OP----I have had it happen where the wire embeds itself into the tread and even riskily running my thumbs along the inside of the tire (great way to get nasty cuts) won't show a wire .... but when you hit a bump just right the wire will protrude into the tube ... sometimes giving such a small puncture that it is impossible to find without a bucket of water and really high air pressure ..... but still somehow enough to drain the tire to unsafe levels after a few miles of riding. (Someone needs to teach these tube Physics.)

I always bring two tubes and usually temporary patches .... and even so sometimes everything fails repeatedly. Welcome to Life---it doesn't always suck.
Old 10-19-22, 11:03 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
I remember a thread where the goof went on for pages arguing that he didn't need to carry stuff for flats because he could always call a "friend." Not a spouse or relative.... Plus he said he couldn't be bothered to learn how to fix a flat. Wonder if any of those "friends" are still speaking?

Last edited by shelbyfv; 10-19-22 at 11:12 AM.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-19-22, 11:14 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
1 spare tube, Rema patch kit, Park patch kit, Park glueless patches, tweezers, Park valve core tool, Park tire boots, tire levers and a pump.

At least 2 spare tubes and a spare tire on tours.
Likes For csport:
Old 10-19-22, 12:28 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by downtube42
Where is that Zen story that suggests you don't need to carry ****? Even the bicycle is superfluous. No matter your material preparation, life will throw something unexpected your way. With the right attitude, you can deal with anything. I like it.
Suppose all your **** goes bad. I've seen these things occur on rides: All flat repair used up. BB spindle breaks (me), crankarm comes loose (me), frame breaks, front wheel tacos, seatpost breaks, rear derailleur goes into spokes, handlebar breaks, cell phone charger fails, pedal threads come loose from carbon crankarm, tire rips along bead, axle breaks, bike stolen, bike lost by sleep deprived rider, wallet lost on multi-day ride.
or your headlight shuts off, on a night ride, a dark night, while you are rolling ...
Old 10-19-22, 02:16 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Went for a ride in the middle of the work day, got a flat from a small piece of metal wire, pulled it out of the tire, replaced the tube then immediately got a second flat.

Obviously I did a poor job all getting the metal out. Since I only had one spare tube I was screwed. Eventually phoned a friend who wasn’t working for a ride.

Most of the time when I ride standard tube type tires I carry a couple of lightweight inner tubes. I sometimes carry glueless patches just in case, but not always. I don't do as many longer distance rides as I used to, so basically I rely on just the extra inner tube. However, for the last 12 years I have been mostly riding on road tubeless tires. I was very much ahead of the curve on this technology and have been fortunate to have had very few negative experiences. Now, I should share a bit of history. Tubeless tires on automobiles had a similar history. I am not sure at what time they became the standard for cars, but I believe that it was in the 1950's. That said, I owned a 1972 Peugeot 304 station wagon that sported Michelin X radial tube type tires . Think about it, at a time when most cars sported bias ply tubeless tires not nearly as advanced as the radial ply Michelin X radials on my Peugeot, My car still had tube type tires. The point is: There are a bunch of tire choices out there now. Tubeless is just getting started for road bikes(only about 12 years so far). It is now pretty much choice #1 for off road(gravel, mountain bike). Road tubeless? 12 years with only 1 time having to install an inner tube early on. One time with a slow leak that I could simply pump back up and ride home. One time with a major puncture (not using sealant) Pumped back up and rode the last 3 km back to the end of the ride.
Point here is that I carry what I might need base on 50 years of riding on the roads I ride and my own experience on riding on the parts of the road that are the safest
Old 10-19-22, 02:28 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
or your headlight shuts off, on a night ride, a dark night, while you are rolling ...
if I am going for a serious night ride I bring two headlights.

My oldest Urban 500 just stopped holding a charge (I am in the process of replacing the battery) but it announced that it had stopped holding a charge by dying. Sure, I can manage .... only a couple times in my life when it would have been too dark to ride without lights, and since I used to commute starting back before rechargeable batteries were a thing, and when they were first introduced, they sucked .... I have done plenty of riding by ambient light. I still like to go dark sometimes on moonlit nights ... but it is a pain, having to turn on my light when I see cars approaching from a distance .... but I don't want to be one of those unlit ninja casualties, or just scare some car when something big and dark passes in the oncoming lane.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-19-22, 02:37 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 709 Posts
Went for a ride in the middle of the work day, got a flat from a small piece of metal wire, pulled it out of the tire, replaced the tube then immediately got a second flat.

Obviously I did a poor job all getting the metal out. Since I only had one spare tube I was screwed. Eventually phoned a friend who wasn’t working for a ride.

no, no, and yes… but before switching to tubeless, my anywhere would have been

yes, yes, and yes.

you’ll need to order an uber XL and you may get rejected once or twice. no way in hell am i going to ask a friend or family member to take an hour out of their day because i’m stranded with a flat.
Old 10-19-22, 03:52 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,074 Times in 3,816 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Actually, it's all irrelevant since I run tubeless in my most-ridden bikes, and I also know how to clear a tire before putting in a fresh tube
I run tubeless, too, but still ended up with a situation where I needed a ride - sidewall slash too big for sealant, and a stuck valve stem nut that prevented me from installing a tube. My only friends that are awake before 8am on a weekend are also on their bikes, and my wife does not sleep next to her phone. Uber got me and my bike home.
Old 10-19-22, 04:13 PM
kcjc

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Do you carry more than 1 spare tube?
Generally two.
Do you carry a patch kit?
Yes. I normally patch first instead of replacing unless I'm part of a group ride and there are people waiting on me.
Will Uber pick up you and the bike?
? Check with the driver first?
Old 10-19-22, 04:39 PM
greatbasin

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
To the OP,

For that type of riding, I recommend "flat-less" tires like Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They're not the airless tires, nor do they have the foam donuts instead of tubes, but they're highly puncture resistant. Combine them with some Conti Hermetic Plus tubes and you are very unlikely to get flats.

I carry two spare tubes and a patch kit on my touring-type bicycle that I use for all purposes because I can't get the setup I recommend above for its 27 inch wheels.

I'm not a fan of slime, but it can help if your tires are moderately tough -- Marathon Green Guards or Big Ben Plus for example.

Obviously, an elite road cyclist is going to balk at these heavy tires, but they're not as bad for non-competitive cycling as some people think. While the additional rotational inertia is harder to overcome to get going, once you're going, the additional mass gives great stability, comfort, and forward momentum.

Lots of tubeless answers so far, but that can be expensive if your wheels aren't already compatible. It doesn't end flats either, but is basically like a lighter weight, high performance version of tubes and Slime. I just picked up a couple of 700c Marathon Plus tires from Chain Reaction for about $60 out the door.
Old 10-19-22, 06:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Slime is just terrible and when you have to change a flat because the goo in your tube didn't do anything it can get quite messy (not that tubeless isn't similar but many of those smaller punctures don't happen. Good quality tires with good quality tubes at the proper pressure as wide as you can go is a good recipe for fewer flats.

In terms of what I carry, usually a single tube on my road set up but for commuting or touring I usually take two and usually always have CO2, a pump and patches of both kinds. If I do get truly screwed I can call family or friends if needed be or über but I try to avoid that and figure a way home.
Old 10-19-22, 06:21 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Running tubulars with Orange Seal in them.
I posed a question with that idea and didn't get a definitive answer because none of the responders had tried it. How well does that work? I figured if sealant instantly plugs a hole in tubeless tires, would it work for tubulars as well? I love the ride quality of tubulars, and they don't sound like any more of a pain to replace than tubeless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.