Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon chrome/stainless monstrosity questions

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 06-19-22, 08:58 PM
flipchip
Chipper

Bikes: Commencal Stewart, Lemond Buenos Airies

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Would post pics, but not enough posts :/

Hi, I’m new to folding bikes. I saw this chrome (stainless?) Dahon locally for $50 and decided to pick it up. The parts seem completely random, but all 80s vintage. Shimano and sturmy archer in the back, suntour up front, and two mismatched shimano friction thumbies. The RD is zip tied to the chain stay, so its just the hub and the FD, which makes it a six speed. I’m guessing none of these are original?

The bars are bizarre as well, tiny bullhorns with diacompe levers mounted as bar ends, which I’ve never seen anything like before. Should I change the bars? With the head tube being nearly 90 degrees I feel like I’m going to double over when braking. Will I just get used to it?

The head tube (?) bounces around when riding, which is very off putting. What can I do about that? And it seems like the centre folding pivot doesn’t actually lock into place when open, it’s just a flexible piece of metal. Also, are these wheels just normal 16 inchers or are they something more esoteric?

Cheers

Last edited by flipchip; 06-19-22 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-20-22, 08:28 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
The Sturmey-Archer hub will have a MM-YY date code on it which will give an approximate age of the bike.
Old 06-20-22, 08:33 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
When you get a few more posts add pictures of the bike. Dahon has many different models of bikes and at least 2 of mine mine have 20 inch rims. Some are also 16 inch rims. Roger
Old 03-16-23, 08:38 AM
Enyar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Share a picture!
Old 03-21-23, 11:03 AM
dmwill

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Steel Classic, 1993 Burley Samba Mixte tandem, 2002 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 2003 Co-Motion Speedster tandem, 2021 Trek Verve 3, 2021 Priority Current

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Yes the Dahons with the angled support bounce around a bit. The head tube doesn't really lock together but the angled strut keeps it from falling over. I tell people it's like riding a wooden roller coaster - a lot of fun, a little shaky, but you're pretty sure all the parts will arrive at the end of the ride at roughly the same time.
Likes For dmwill: