Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Vacuum Insulated Water Bottles

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-17, 09:10 AM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Costco is selling a two pack of 28 oz Reduce COLD-1 general purpose stainless steel vacuum water bottles for $16.99.

They are slightly oversize for bike holders, but they will fit into my plastic bike water bottle holders.

You don't have to be a Costco member to order them from the Costco website, but you will pay for shipping (free for members) and you will pay a non-member fee (I've been a member for a year, but if I recall correctly, the non-member fee is 2%). They are also available in Costco warehouses.

https://www.costco.com/Reduce-COLD-1...100340745.html

I jumped on them as I am tired of drinking warm water on hot days.

Some info not on the Costco website:

Dimensions:
Circumference of the Reduce bottle is about 9.5 inches, compared to about 9 inches for my $5 Wal-Mart bike water bottle.

Height of the Reduce bottle is about 11 inches compared to 9 inches (counting the nipple) for the Wal-Mart bike water bottle.

Empty weight of the Reduce bottle is 393 grams versus 99 grams for the Wal-Mart plastic bottle, so the weight might be the worst drawback.

The other problem is that while these bottles look great, the satin finish is easily scratched (I found out when the edge of the metal cap on one bottle rubbed against the side of the other bottle). If you have metal bottle holders, they may not fit at all, or they may get scratched each time you use them. If this is a problem, you might be able to add some felt tape to the inside of the bottle holder.
Old 06-05-17, 03:51 AM
Falchoon

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I reckon you would be better off with a conventional type plastic insulated water bottle such as Camelbak Podium Chill

https://www.probikekit.com/cycling-a.../11232635.html (750ml)

https://www.probikekit.com/cycling-a.../11232624.html (610ml)

The stainless steel bottle as you mentioned doesn't fit your cage properly, and could also be slippery especially if you are hot and sweaty and risk getting dropped on the ground and going under your wheel (or someone elses) causing a crash.

The Podium Chill looks to be cheaper than the SS bottle too, though you will need to pay freight (if you look around you may find another place selling them offering cheaper/free freight)
Old 06-05-17, 05:42 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Just an FYI almost every LBS in the US worth anything sells the Podium Chill bottles, eliminates all the drawbacks of using a metal bottle. One thing I started doing was to take a couple of bottles the night before a ride on a hot day and fill them about 1/3 of the way with water, then lay them at a severe angle in the freezer, fill them before your ride with cold water and they will stay cold longer and stay cool a lot longer.
Likes For WheresWaldo:
Old 06-05-17, 08:01 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Just an FYI almost every LBS in the US worth anything sells the Podium Chill bottles, eliminates all the drawbacks of using a metal bottle. One thing I started doing was to take a couple of bottles the night before a ride on a hot day and fill them about 1/3 of the way with water, then lay them at a severe angle in the freezer, fill them before your ride with cold water and they will stay cold longer and stay cool a lot longer.
Yes, or just fill with ice cubes before heading out - the wide mouth makes that easy.
Likes For drewguy:
Old 06-08-17, 05:05 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Originally Posted by Falchoon
I reckon you would be better off with a conventional type plastic insulated water bottle such as Camelbak Podium Chill

https://www.probikekit.com/cycling-a.../11232635.html (750ml)

https://www.probikekit.com/cycling-a.../11232624.html (610ml)

The stainless steel bottle as you mentioned doesn't fit your cage properly, and could also be slippery especially if you are hot and sweaty and risk getting dropped on the ground and going under your wheel (or someone elses) causing a crash.

The Podium Chill looks to be cheaper than the SS bottle too, though you will need to pay freight (if you look around you may find another place selling them offering cheaper/free freight)
I stop to drink, so dropping the bottle is not a factor for me. Nor do I ride in groups, at least not yet.

As mentioned in the original post, you get two of the steel bottles for $17 so they are a lot cheaper per bottle than the Poduim. They will also maintain coldness a lot longer than the Poduim bottles.

That said, I'm sure they (the stainless steel bottles) aren't for everyone.

It's odd that the Podium didn't turn up when I was searching Google for an insulated bottle. Nothing I found via Google looked like a good product for a good price. I was already thinking along DIY lines, like buying and then cutting up can cozies so I wouldn't have to drink warm water on long rides. I had already tried starting out with 90% ice with 10% water and it wasn't working. Then the vacuum bottles popped up at Costco and they are working great for me. Your Mileage Will Vary, apparently.
Old 06-08-17, 05:28 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
If you aren't worried about a tight fit (that is, getting the bottle easily out of the holder), Stanley makes a vacuum mug that fits in almost any bottle cage.

It does a good job keeping the temperature of whatever you put in it.
Old 06-08-17, 06:00 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by wschruba
If you aren't worried about a tight fit (that is, getting the bottle easily out of the holder), Stanley makes a vacuum mug that fits in almost any bottle cage.

Nice but a little pricey. I see it for $21 on Amazon. The 16oz capacity would be the worst feature for me. In hot weather I sweat bullets and I drink up water like I'm made of a dry sponge. I'd run dry even if I carried two of them.

Last edited by Tony_G; 06-08-17 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-08-17, 06:37 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba

Looks like a good winter ride, coffee option though.
Old 06-08-17, 07:55 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
Costco is selling a two pack of 28 oz Reduce COLD-1 general purpose stainless steel vacuum water bottles for $16.99.

A good insulated sports bottle has an insulated cap and allows for one-hand operation, such as this one or many other Thermos bottles. The Costco bottles are not a good choice.
Old 06-08-17, 08:07 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by 2_i
A good insulated sports bottle has an insulated cap and allows for one-hand operation, such as this one or many other Thermos bottles. The Costco bottles are not a good choice.
The Costco bottles are a good choice for me.
Old 06-08-17, 08:59 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Ice cubes in the metal bottles make a jingling sound.
Old 06-08-17, 09:08 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Ice cubes in the metal bottles make a jingling sound.
They do indeed. However, I have found with vacuum insulation, I don't need any ice at all. Just start with cold water out of the refrigerator and the water stays cold all day.
Old 06-08-17, 09:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I don't use insulated bottles and won't for one simple reason: the cold water (or whatever). I need a of fluids on hot days. I also find warm fluids don't quench my thirst like cold ones do, so I have to drink again soon. And again. I might even drink enough to stay hydrated. I can drink half a standard WB of warm fluids in one swig. And those warm fluids (if chosen wisely) are absorbed quickly in my stomach.

Then there is the fact that uninsulated bottles hold a lot more. I need that.

Ben
Old 06-15-17, 05:21 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I've acquired a pair of these. Unfortunately, they are too wide for my holders. What bottle holders do you have?
Old 06-15-17, 05:56 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

I have the cheap plastic ones from Wal-Mart. The bottle and holder came together for about $5. I have one mounted on the seat tube (the frame, not actual seat post) and one mounted hanging on the underside of the top tube. That one seemed a little precarious with the extra weight and length of the Costco bottle, so I put a mini-bungee cord around it to help hold it in. I hit a lot of rough pavement bumps and it has never fallen out of the holder.

Last edited by Tony_G; 06-15-17 at 06:22 PM. Reason: had --> has
Old 06-20-17, 08:16 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Try this: take one bottle and freeze it the night before. Use ice and water in the other one. By the time you finish the first bottle the second one is mostly melted and still cold.
Old 11-03-19, 03:16 PM
magnascott
SB Touring

Bikes: Novara Safari, Surly Disc Trucker, Vodoo Wazoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try using the Velo Orange Mojave Cage. It will hold a standard Nalgene or a 32oz insulted Klean Kanteen or a 32oz insulted GSI Microlite.
Old 11-06-19, 09:37 PM
ScoScott

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the summer, what makes me very happy is that I can bring a water bottle filled with iced beverages to the door. Even in hot weather, the drink in the hydro flask vacuum insulated water bottle was able to maintain a lower temperature, and it saved me after a long trip.
Old 11-06-19, 09:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I use more hot liquids than cold liquids, especially this time of year.

The plastic bottles just do a mediocre job.

I've had quite good luck with couple of different models of Contigo bottles. Most of them have a taper that works well with the bottle holders. Tight, but generally fit, although perhaps better and quieter with plastic cages.
Old 11-07-19, 01:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have the same model Reduce Cold-1 the OP mentioned in 2017. It's great. Got it for only $5 or so at Kroger on blowout, wish I'd bought the other two they had.

Yep, it's heavy. But it's been a pleasure on long rides on the hottest and coldest days. Drinks will stay ice cold or hot for up to 12 hours. On my 30 lb hybrid I don't even notice the weight, and it doesn't feel like it adds much weight on my steel road bike.

There's no plastic insulated bottle from Polar or Camelbak that will keep drinks cold for more than a couple of hours in Texas summer. I usually freeze one completely with electrolytes premixed and save it as my second bottle. Usually it's thawed enough to drink by the time my first bottle is gone. But after a couple of hours even the second bottle is getting warm. And they aren't suitable for hot drinks on winter rides.

For summer rides I'll use a Camelbak lid/drinking spout on the insulated steel bottle. Can't squeeze it, of course, but I can still drink through the Camelbak lid. In winter with hot drinks I use the original lid and just stop when I want a drink of hot tea or coffee.
Old 11-07-19, 06:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Not suitable on the bike, but great to have waiting for you when you get back to your car.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PLCZ253..._WZlXDbRZD7RM0