Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hate towards cyclists

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Hate towards cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-23, 03:46 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Oops, you're older than I remembered. Your point is still stupid, though, as the ME generation is currently in their very late 50s, 60s and 70s, and subsequent generations have been less violent than they were when they were in prime crime-committing age.

And you think hippies are the problem, now? Have you been in suspended animation for the past 50 years?
You are saying that todays young people are less violent than we were in the 1950s**********???? That is a total joke. I grew up in a small town in Nebr, and we drove pickup to school with shot gun or rifles in the back window, and there were NO school shooting back then!!!
Old 02-09-23, 03:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
You are saying that todays young people are less violent than we were in the 1950s**********???? That is a total joke. I grew up in a small town in Nebr, and we drove pickup to school with shot gun or rifles in the back window, and there were NO school shooting back then!!!
You literally just told me you were too old to be part of the boomer generation, and yes, boomers have been an exceptionally violent generation. Not everybody grew up in small town Nebraska, BTW, what's the relevance?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/aging-...murderous-ways
https://thecrimereport.org/2021/05/1...eration-study/
Old 02-09-23, 04:24 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I don't really get the manufactured generational divide that has been employed in social media discussions with increasing frequency of late. It's not like we needed to create another source of conflict, division and derision. It's truly nothing more than another form of bigotry. Aren't we all better off without applying labels to people and ascribing associated attributes?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 02-09-23, 05:08 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Really? The same guy who posted videos of himself banging on cars while riding makes immediate peace with someone throwing things at him and accepts it as "part of the program?" Nah, my BS meter is pegged on this one.

A miss, and it's all good. A hit, and then what? Bicyclists were being shot and shot at here in NOLA a few years back. Is a miss just "part of the program?" You won't take me up on the offer, but please feel free to elaborate on the position that you stake out.

This is my official position on cycling in traffic of my own free will. (Does in no way assure I won't punch a car here and there to wake up the occupants so they don't hurt someone less traffic savvy than me).

WHEN I ENTER THE ROADWAY, etc.
Old 02-09-23, 05:53 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
There have been studies showing motorists see us as subhuman. I am always amazed at the difference in motorists behaviour whether I am on my upright or recumbent. On the bent with the flag, they see me as disabled or special in some way and motorists universally are very tolerant as in I always get the lane. Other studies show a sort of motorist group-think tribalism that rears its ugly head because some cyclists do not follow the rules (hogging the whole road, not stopping at lights/stop signs, not waiting their turn at red lights, etc.). I guess some people get angry when they see others break the social norms/rules and cyclists are guilty of that from my experience riding in about 60% of the States and over 15 different countries. So, yes. Some motorists hate us. I had a car run me off the road multiple times coming back and running at me head on and then from the rear. I went to the local PD with plate number and full description of criminal. Cops laughed and did nothing, not even a report. This was in Middletown MA
Old 02-09-23, 06:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I don't really get the manufactured generational divide that has been employed in social media discussions with increasing frequency of late. It's not like we needed to create another source of conflict, division and derision. It's truly nothing more than another form of bigotry. Aren't we all better off without applying labels to people and ascribing associated attributes?
TBH, I'm just tired of people slagging unfairly on my sons' generation.

This also has no place on this forum.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-09-23, 07:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
This is my official position on cycling in traffic of my own free will. (Does in no way assure I won't punch a car here and there to wake up the occupants so they don't hurt someone less traffic savvy than me).

WHEN I ENTER THE ROADWAY, etc.
Stupid analogy. Other people aren't sharks, they're also responsible for their actions.

​​​​​​"I'm not responsible for my actions " is a straw man position. You really aren't saying anything significant.

Really weird thing to post in a thread about a driver actually beating a cyclist to death, with a tire iron, btw.
Old 02-09-23, 07:41 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
. . .
One of the problems with the ignore feature is that the person you ignored can still see your posts when you can't see his or hers.

Last edited by BillyD; 02-10-23 at 03:14 PM. Reason: cleanup
Old 02-09-23, 07:50 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
There have been studies showing motorists see us as subhuman. I am always amazed at the difference in motorists behaviour whether I am on my upright or recumbent. On the bent with the flag, they see me as disabled or special in some way and motorists universally are very tolerant as in I always get the lane. Other studies show a sort of motorist group-think tribalism that rears its ugly head because some cyclists do not follow the rules (hogging the whole road, not stopping at lights/stop signs, not waiting their turn at red lights, etc.).
If you appear to be part of their "in group" or a group they hold dear, they'll act respectfully. Anecdotally, I have never been harassed while wearing my US Navy jersey. Many cyclists I've come across have reported similar outcomes while wearing patriotic jerseys.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I had a car run me off the road multiple times coming back and running at me head on and then from the rear. I went to the local PD with plate number and full description of criminal. Cops laughed and did nothing, not even a report. This was in Middletown MA
Hopefully that convinced you to run cameras, because cops take you a lot more seriously when you have video evidence. If they don't, escalate up their chain of command. Use the statement, "I'm here to report a crime, and I insist on filing a report." Record the police while you're trying to report said crime. MA may be a two-party consent state with respect to audio recording, but the SCOTUS has ruled that even in two-party consent states, it's legal to record cops on duty as they have no reasonable expectation of privacy.
Old 02-09-23, 08:30 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
One of the problems with the ignore feature is that the person you ignored can still see your posts when you can't see his or hers.
That's not a problem, that is a feature. I can still annoy them without being annoyed BY them.

Or they could just block me, right?
Old 02-09-23, 09:39 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
The solution for your problem is to post only on lists where you can control the thought and opinions of all the members of the choir. Perhaps initiate a Facebook group where you can be the Grand Poobah of Admission.
Old 02-09-23, 10:27 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Loved for moderator review