Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The 2013 Race Results Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 2013 Race Results Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 11:36 AM
pjcampbell
fair weather cyclist

Bikes: Colnago c50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Haha sorry for the big pic

I found out i had to work overnight last night so no PR on the Allen Clark Hill climb, i went for mediocrity on across multiple sports. Got 3rd on the foot climb overall and 2nd 30-39 on the bike climb for the duathlon overall, woot.

Last edited by pjcampbell; 10-06-13 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-07-13, 06:35 AM
dobrado

Bikes: Trek 2.1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DNF (Mechanical issues) yesterday in my 4th race (ever). Learned a lot though, and had fun!
Old 11-11-13, 10:16 AM
billh92109

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Technically still 2013?

First race ever - FINALLY.

CBR compton upgrade crit Sunday... Learned the hard way I need to keep it bottled up until the end. Basically I over-aggroed and went OTF twice during the race, shelled myself hard and got dragged to the finish by the pack, 38th of 51. Heh.

Nice course, roads are newish and the streets wide so I didnt feel like the corners were too hard. I was OK in most of the corners but still could use lots of practice there, need to work on keeping it closer in the draft. Felt awesome to finally get it done. Going back up next month. Got some good advice from a team mate who was at the same race. Felt bad for him though some dude (mustve been anxious as heck or something) at the starting line had an unclipping accident while waiting for the start and nearly dominoed the whole front line. When he got up there was a huge chunk of paint missing on my teammate's bike on the rear fork
Old 11-11-13, 10:27 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pjcampbell

Haha sorry for the big pic

I found out i had to work overnight last night so no PR on the Allen Clark Hill climb, i went for mediocrity on across multiple sports. Got 3rd on the foot climb overall and 2nd 30-39 on the bike climb for the duathlon overall, woot.
donno how i missed this the first time, but congrats!
Old 11-28-13, 03:14 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Low Key HillClimb today. Traditional Mt. Hamilton Thanksgiving ride.

I came in 4th of 140-ish. Wohlberg and another ultra-climber skinny dude got away and finished a minute or two up. Wohlberg won solo, pretty sure he was z2 the whole way up.

I was 2nd of the mortals.

https://www.strava.com/activities/97581731
Old 11-28-13, 05:18 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Good job, Fudgy! I took care of your caloric deficit for you, in your honor.

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-28-13, 05:21 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Great job fudgy!
Old 11-28-13, 06:11 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Nice work yg!

my race videos
Old 11-28-13, 10:21 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Turns out Wohlberg beat me by 80-something seconds over the last 35 minutes.

When someone rides away, it always seems like they are going so much faster than they really are.
Old 11-29-13, 12:50 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Ok, so who is this Wohlberg guy? He was at the Stanford /Cal ride I think... He had his name on his bike anyway.
Old 11-29-13, 08:44 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
google says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Wohlberg
Old 11-29-13, 10:19 AM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ygduf
he's just a badass

so to be only a minute behind him... kudos to you.
Old 12-08-13, 09:21 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 cat 4 training races today. My goals for the race were accomplished so I felt pretty good.

Goals
--------
-Ride in the drops the whole race, no hoods business(learning to get more aero).
-No crashing
-Experience the pace at which the cat 4's ride in SoCal and gauge where my fitness is.
-Work on cornering speed, handling and riding in a massive group again post accident.

Results
--------
I think I got like 20th or something out of 50? First race an attack went off and I was sitting 3rd wheel so I jumped out hard and joined in. It was about 4 of us that made it and we had about a 10 second gap. I was fairly worked just getting into the break but I held on no prob. Took my pull for about 2 corners at a pretty high pace(no power meter but I was getting worked), I pull off for the next guy to pull but he was so gassed that he couldn't maintain the pace and was slowing down. I felt it getting slower so I came around again to try and pull it up again, I was pretty worked at this point and when I looked back they caught us. Bleh. After that I rejoined the group and just sat in trying to catch my senses. I was like 20th going into the sprint and was pretty boxed in, nowhere to go, and not enough gas to go around dudes I just took whatever I got.

My leg was fairly cramped after the race so I was a little unsure about the next one. I already registered so I thought to join in either way. Pace was about the same, maybe a tad faster. Some break went off with 6 or so laps to go and the group didn't want to chase it down. I just sat in the whole race and followed the accelerations practicing cornering and pack handling.

Oh I didn't crash.

My wrist still hurts a bunch :/ I checked it with the doc and he doesn't seem concerned just told me that i'll be in pain for a bit longer while the tissues heal.

Overall I feel pretty good, I had no problem following the accelerations and the overall speed. I don't know if this is just one of those races that no one shows up for(still it had 50 racers) but if its anything like this going forward I should be in a good spot for next season.
Old 12-08-13, 09:57 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by ovoleg
2 cat 4 training races today. My goals for the race were accomplished so I felt pretty good.

Goals
--------
-Ride in the drops the whole race, no hoods business(learning to get more aero).
-No crashing
-Experience the pace at which the cat 4's ride in SoCal and gauge where my fitness is.
-Work on cornering speed, handling and riding in a massive group again post accident.

Results
--------
I think I got like 20th or something out of 50? First race an attack went off and I was sitting 3rd wheel so I jumped out hard and joined in. It was about 4 of us that made it and we had about a 10 second gap. I was fairly worked just getting into the break but I held on no prob. Took my pull for about 2 corners at a pretty high pace(no power meter but I was getting worked), I pull off for the next guy to pull but he was so gassed that he couldn't maintain the pace and was slowing down. I felt it getting slower so I came around again to try and pull it up again, I was pretty worked at this point and when I looked back they caught us. Bleh. After that I rejoined the group and just sat in trying to catch my senses. I was like 20th going into the sprint and was pretty boxed in, nowhere to go, and not enough gas to go around dudes I just took whatever I got.

My leg was fairly cramped after the race so I was a little unsure about the next one. I already registered so I thought to join in either way. Pace was about the same, maybe a tad faster. Some break went off with 6 or so laps to go and the group didn't want to chase it down. I just sat in the whole race and followed the accelerations practicing cornering and pack handling.

Oh I didn't crash.

My wrist still hurts a bunch :/ I checked it with the doc and he doesn't seem concerned just told me that i'll be in pain for a bit longer while the tissues heal.

Overall I feel pretty good, I had no problem following the accelerations and the overall speed. I don't know if this is just one of those races that no one shows up for(still it had 50 racers) but if its anything like this going forward I should be in a good spot for next season.
Great job, I take it that was the Compton (Dominguez Hills) crit?
Old 12-08-13, 10:09 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Great job, I take it that was the Compton (Dominguez Hills) crit?
Yep, my first time there. It was a pretty nice course, definitely not what I expected when I was heading out to go to "Compton" haha.
Old 12-09-13, 01:45 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ovoleg

Goals
--------
-No crashing

Results
--------

Oh I didn't crash.

Good stuff! I was in town by chance and jumped in both races as well. Slightly different racing down there than up here. Quite a bit more pack chatter/yelling and hammering of the brakes at times. Pretty basic course and decent sized group (~50 for mid-December). Course was 4 corners with a bit of down hill after turn one then a bit of uphill back to the finish. It was cold and I was tired from traveling, so not an ideal mix. I talked with a few guys in the parking lot beforehand and got a sense of who was teamed up to know what wheels to lock onto. Sounded like there were a few teams looking to get some guys on the podium so they can upgrade before 2014.

With that, race one was pretty mild and only a few break attempts were made. It seemed most were planning to organize and hammer an attack with two laps to go, which was fine for me. We were all pretty much bunched up through one lap to go and then the group was off. I sat in hoping to be able to come around the last corner with some room to sprint. More or less worked as planned, but I got a bit boxed in coming around the corner. Finished 10th. I was okay with that. Getting familiar with the other races and who was doing what.

Second race, folks that didn't place in the first race and needed those last few points were geared up for this race and the pace was a bit quicker. There were a few breaks and I jumped into one, but quickly bailed out as we were getting caught like we were coasting. One go or a group, not sure, was off the front with a 12-15 second gap, but was reeled in with about 3-4 to go. The race came down to the same thing as the first, group hammer at 1.5 laps to go. I used the same approach, sit in top 10 or so then sprint like mad. All was working until I came around the corner and got tangled up with another guy. We both stayed up, but slowed quite a bit and gave up a ton of spots. 29th, blah.

Was fun racing in a different venue.
Old 12-09-13, 12:35 PM
billh92109

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Second Crit ever yesterday, USAC CBR Upgrade criterium, cat5c race. Did better than the first one, was near front 10-15 or so in the last turn but didnt have the juice to actually rev it up to the finish line so I fell back a bit and finished 27th out of 50? or so... Really intense this time, noticed alot more about positioning and was able to push myself around in the pack more to keep position, letting everyone else attack and sticking to them like glue . I did feel though im still very squirrely, need to do alot more group ride stuff, feels like my line is pretty unsteady still. MoaR practice needed!

As far as training goes, need to work on threshold of course but especially the fartlek stuff so those accordion moves dont wear me out so much by the time the last lap comes. Next one for me will probably be Red Trolley in Feb...
Old 12-09-13, 01:53 PM
ovoleg