Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Crosstraining / Other Sports

Old 03-19-16, 04:44 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
So, I just realized after playing Tennis for 2 days straight: Moving laterally sucks.

I haven't done that in a long time

That's where all of the fatigue is coming from.
Old 03-19-16, 05:47 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
I came into cycling as training for motocross ---- I am still an MX fan and dabble in off road, enduro type events --- but i dont envision ever dropping a gate again --- but who knows - maybe
Old 03-19-16, 11:50 PM
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rockclimb. Have been for 4 years- It definitely helps with upperbody strength.
Old 03-20-16, 01:48 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Back in Uni, When I was still track racing at the Elite level, my two cousins were playing varsity football. One a Defensive End, the other a Linebacker. They wanted to get into better shape in the offseason, but didn't wan't to run miles, or lose their reactions time. So we played Squash that winter. Soon enough we had about 10 starters from the team playing with us, and I ended up becoming their personal trainer in the off-season. Ever see 250+lb guys play Squash? It's like watching that Hippo Ballerina from Fantasia.
Old 03-20-16, 07:39 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by taras0000
Back in Uni, When I was still track racing at the Elite level, my two cousins were playing varsity football. One a Defensive End, the other a Linebacker. They wanted to get into better shape in the offseason, but didn't wan't to run miles, or lose their reactions time. So we played Squash that winter. Soon enough we had about 10 starters from the team playing with us, and I ended up becoming their personal trainer in the off-season. Ever see 250+lb guys play Squash? It's like watching that Hippo Ballerina from Fantasia.
Hahaha.

That's pretty much how I look on a bike
Old 03-20-16, 08:34 AM
skysurfer

Bikes: TI Sports/Fuji retired pro TT, Fuji track comp, Trek 660 since new.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It's like watching that Hippo Ballerina from Fantasia.
I did Ballet for 7 years and I ain't no stick figure. From my next to last show in 2009 was ~170lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
nutcracker2009.jpg (19.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-20-16, 11:32 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by skysurfer
I did Ballet for 7 years and I ain't no stick figure. From my next to last show in 2009 was ~170lbs.
That's awesome.

To put things into perspective: I was 195 when I graduated HS at age 17. I was a 2 sport athlete and probably the fittest and most trim I've ever been in my life. I've always been a big guy I was always the biggest guy at every tennis tournament, hahaha.
Old 03-20-16, 06:13 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
So do you only do activities that involve the wearing of Spandex?
Old 03-20-16, 07:27 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I did a couple of semesters of adult ballet classes when I was still climbing. Found it really enjoyable, even though I wasn't very good!
Old 03-21-16, 03:01 AM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did swimming, track, road and cyclox riding as a kid till i was 12, then moved from the uk to aus and stuck to road and track till i was 17 then i dropped all sports really, track and road complimented one another obviously.
When i started track again a few years ago i was doing a bit of gym work and 3 days of matrtial arts. I found that the martial arts affected my riding badly, hard to do sprint efforts with big bruises on your quads... and everywhere else lol. Ended up dropping the martial arts as i had a falling out with the owner (wanted me to pay for classes while i had 2 months off for my wedding and to pay an extra fee)
Now im just doing track full time, even got my wife into it and im assisting coaching (about to do my coaching course next month)
Old 03-21-16, 03:51 AM
skysurfer

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
So do you only do activities that involve the wearing of Spandex?
It gets worse...

Originally Posted by Dalai
I did a couple of semesters of adult ballet classes when I was still climbing. Found it really enjoyable, even though I wasn't very good!
Even after several months of lifting and being back on the bike that first class was a killer felt it for several days. When I was "on the level" the teacher told us miss a class you'll know miss 2 classes everyone will know, at the time I was a company dancer in class from 1-4 hours a day 4-5 days a week plus rehearsals.
Attached Images
trapped.jpg (14.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-21-16, 04:46 AM
skysurfer

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
That's awesome.

To put things into perspective: I was 195 when I graduated HS at age 17. I was a 2 sport athlete and probably the fittest and most trim I've ever been in my life. I've always been a big guy I was always the biggest guy at every tennis tournament, hahaha.
I fall under the category of stalky rather than viking huge at only 5'8". The "ideal" dancer (stick figure) was somewhere around 5'10" 140.
Had my ups and downs over the years, on the pudgy side as a kid played around with gymnastics (girls program) baseball and a season of swimming before embarking on a 13 year long career as a short track skater. Cycling was training, as much as I enjoyed group rides and such I hated road racing, did take part in the every other week 10 mile time trial put on by one of the local groups PR was 28:10. When I hung up my skates in 2003 the lazy streak only lasted a few months, I was complaining about how I gotta do something and a coworker talked me into going to a ballet class. Thus beginning the plunge into performing arts that took over life for the next 7 years, ballet and circus arts. All good things must come to an end, my trapeze partner left me for NY and coming up quickly on a rough schedule with the ballet I burned out and called it off in 2010. For the first time in 20 years I wasn't on someone elses schedule and took full advantage by sitting on the couch for the next 5 years. Like most I blew up, from 170 to 235, tried to rally a couple of times with little success... until recently.

Getting back on the track this weekend was closure to the last 5 years of darkness. I went through the beginner course in October and it was a disaster, made it through but it wasn't pretty. I revisited it this weekend for review and hopefully have a better go at it. I'm calling it a success and looking forward to going racing.

Attached Images
DLV.jpg (94.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-21-16, 07:48 AM
carleton
Elitist

I fall under the category of stalky rather than viking huge at only 5'8". The "ideal" dancer (stick figure) was somewhere around 5'10" 140.
Had my ups and downs over the years, on the pudgy side as a kid played around with gymnastics (girls program) baseball and a season of swimming before embarking on a 13 year long career as a short track skater. Cycling was training, as much as I enjoyed group rides and such I hated road racing, did take part in the every other week 10 mile time trial put on by one of the local groups PR was 28:10. When I hung up my skates in 2003 the lazy streak only lasted a few months, I was complaining about how I gotta do something and a coworker talked me into going to a ballet class. Thus beginning the plunge into performing arts that took over life for the next 7 years, ballet and circus arts. All good things must come to an end, my trapeze partner left me for NY and coming up quickly on a rough schedule with the ballet I burned out and called it off in 2010. For the first time in 20 years I wasn't on someone elses schedule and took full advantage by sitting on the couch for the next 5 years. Like most I blew up, from 170 to 235, tried to rally a couple of times with little success... until recently.

Getting back on the track this weekend was closure to the last 5 years of darkness. I went through the beginner course in October and it was a disaster, made it through but it wasn't pretty. I revisited it this weekend for review and hopefully have a better go at it. I'm calling it a success and looking forward to going racing.

Wow, man. You look very different in those photos.

Track racking will trim you up quite a bit.

I've heard that there might be a direct relationship between speedskating and track cycling.
Old 03-21-16, 08:53 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've heard that there might be a direct relationship between speedskating and track cycling.
I know 2 people that went from national level (jrs) track to skating. Ive always wanted to try long track, but it always seemed like a difficult sport to get into.
Old 03-21-16, 12:52 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did both long track and short track speed skating when I lived in Michigan. I was 5'6" and 160. In reality, I was too small to be a good long track racer, but I was the right size for short track, and did Ok, placing 5th when I was 35 years old in elite 500 meters. I didn't get to try track cycling until I moved to Los Angeles. When I started, I was still doing short track, but I fell in love with track cycling (my, that's a lot of "tracks" going on there) and quit skating. As a skating sprinter, I found the training definitely prepared me for track sprinting, lots of weight work, a lot of what we called dry training which included cord work, box jumps etc. Here's an ancient (1981) picture of some dry training.
Attached Images
jfskate.jpg (47.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by rensho3; 03-21-16 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Fix typo
Old 03-21-16, 01:57 PM
carleton
Elitist

I dabbled in competitive defensive pistol shooting late last year (IDPA). It was fun. I became classified as a "sharpshooter" (middle rank) after a few weeks of training. I liked the speed and precision of it all. The only way it relates to track racing is that they can both be expensive

(Not me in these videos)
POV:

3rd person POV:
Old 03-21-16, 02:08 PM
FUTBOL26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have played soccer almost all my life, and still currently play. I did a year of tennis and a few years of volleyball in high school.
Old 03-21-16, 04:39 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Interesting to read all the different sports others have done or still doing.

Some I expect would be geographical I.e skating? Although the Australian Bradbury won the short track Olympic gold - doing a Bradbury actual joined the Australian vernacular it's not a big sport here. Indoor iceskating rings here are almost as rare as velodromes in the States! We have one indoor ring, maybe still two in a city of 4 mill...
Old 03-21-16, 04:47 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I swam through college, and hopped in the pool a couple times over the winter for a change of pace. Xc skiing is a mental health life saver around here during bad winters, so nice to get outside and actually move around some. Other than that, bikes and weights, all the time.
Old 03-21-16, 07:32 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts

Awesome story, thanks for sharing! And good luck on the track. As far as slimming you down, I find it's not super effective (as a sprinter). If you want to get skinny, it seems like the endurance side of track, or road/cross/mtb would be better. There are a lot of reasonably fast sprinters who are straight-up fat. And strong. Being strong, fast and also fit seems to require either awesome genetics or a pretty disciplined approach. It's easier to do a few 7-30 second efforts and then just sit back and eat the fried chicken/ice cream/pick your poison. I struggle with this as well.
Old 03-21-16, 09:06 PM
skysurfer

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I dabbled in competitive defensive pistol shooting late last year (IDPA). It was fun. I became classified as a "sharpshooter" (middle rank) after a few weeks of training. I liked the speed and precision of it all. The only way it relates to track racing is that they can both be expensive
Just some friendly plate shooting at the sheriffs range. Then a real competitive shooter showed up and schooled all of us. My carry gun a stiff triggered SW9.
Attached Images
shootemup.jpg (38.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-21-16, 10:07 PM
carleton
Elitist

Just some friendly plate shooting at the sheriffs range. Then a real competitive shooter showed up and schooled all of us. My carry gun a stiff triggered SW9.
Nice!

I really thought about making it my new hobby. But, when I started doing the math, it got expensive. Even if I bought a press and started pressing my own ammunition.
Old 03-22-16, 03:52 AM
skysurfer

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Nice!

I really thought about making it my new hobby. But, when I started doing the math, it got expensive. Even if I bought a press and started pressing my own ammunition.
Reloading is a good skill to have although I haven't gotten much use of it lately. I picked up a LEE turret press cheap from a local competitor that changed over to RCBS. Not for any cost savings but to be able to keep going to the range during the dry spells. At the time 9mm and .45 were not to be found anywhere. But primers and bullets got in short supply also, not sure if that has changed much as of late.
Old 03-22-16, 04:45 AM
skysurfer

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Awesome story, thanks for sharing! And good luck on the track. As far as slimming you down, I find it's not super effective (as a sprinter). If you want to get skinny, it seems like the endurance side of track, or road/cross/mtb would be better. There are a lot of reasonably fast sprinters who are straight-up fat. And strong. Being strong, fast and also fit seems to require either awesome genetics or a pretty disciplined approach. It's easier to do a few 7-30 second efforts and then just sit back and eat the fried chicken/ice cream/pick your poison. I struggle with this as well.
It's been an adventure the last 5-6 months, dropping weight was a part of just improving general health, the doc has been unhappy with me for several years. Not dragging around an extra 50 pounds seemed like a good place to start. Last official check I got to 180 at ~16% from 235 at ~43%. Was shooting for 170 to give a respectable VO2 and stay within a reasonable (maintainable) fat percentage, I seem to have settled in at 180 though, which is where I was when I changed from health/fitness to performance training in late January.

The big focus as of late has been getting Lt up, if you're above like I probably was just getting around the track forget about any kind of showing on the sprint. Sprints and 1K had an appeal to me early on, as it turns out my tolerance for ridiculous efforts and quick recovery are ideal for those events but not so much for endurance. As an engineer all the tools and data now available to the average joe makes it interesting. It's all subject to change as I progress but nice to be able to put numbers to what I'm feeling and look at changes over time. Gathered data over the weekend I have a good idea where I can make rounds all day, where I can push a little harder and where I need more work. The hardest part right now is keeping control and not getting carried away when I get on the track.

At this point in life it's all for fun but doesn't mean I'm not going to make the most of it, the competitive spirit is still alive and well.
Old 03-22-16, 05:29 AM
carleton
Elitist

Pro Tip #1 of Masters Track Racing: Don't be Fat

That will make you faster than any frame, wheels, helmets, power meter, or any other equipment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.