Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Popping noise when inflating tube - tire bead seating?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-28-20, 06:17 PM
ScottRiqui

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts

I decided to practice changing out an inner tube in my living room, rather than learning on the side of a trail. Everything went fine - I deflated the tube, levered off the tire, pulled out the tube, put a little air into it to give it some shape, and then put it all back together.

As I was re-inflating the tube, there were several distinct "popping" noises on the way up to the final pressure. Everything looks fine, the tube's holding pressure, and I've been on several rides since then with no issues. I'm just curious about the pops because none of the tube-changing guides I've read or videos I've watched led me to expect them. The bike's new, so this is probably the first time the tire's been off the rim - was I just hearing the bead seating into place?
Old 07-28-20, 06:47 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Perhaps just the bead seating. Might help if you could include make/type of tire, wheel and bike.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 07-28-20 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-28-20, 06:55 PM
ScottRiqui

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Perhaps just the head seating. Might help if you could include make/type of tire, wheel and bike.
The bike is a Trek Domane SL5, the wheels are Bontrager Affinity TLR alloys in 21mm width, and the tires are 700x35 Bontrager R1.
Old 07-28-20, 07:05 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Yes, probably just the bead popping into place.
Old 07-28-20, 07:15 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
Most modern bikes like the Domane (All road, endurance road, gravel, Etc.) come equipped with tubeless-ready wheels and/or tires but come set up with tubes. Generally then inflating the tire after it's been unseated or removed, it will make a loud snapping sound when the tire bead seats.
Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 07-28-20, 07:17 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
The tire can make noise as it seats onto the rim, the tube makes noise moving around in the tire as it inflates. I use a little talcum powder in my hand as a lube, pull the whole length of the tube through my fingers all the way around. Install the tube, seat the tire bead with my fingers. Pump up enough to fully seat the bead. Valve should want to point straight, if not deflate and fix that. Check all around both sides, look for even seating of the tire bead. If all OK, then pump full. Then let out all the air, pump up again. Sounds a lot more complicated than it is to actually do it.
Likes For grizzly59: