Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

11-30 vs 11-34 cassette

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

11-30 vs 11-34 cassette

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-20, 01:00 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
I have an 11-34 on my NYC bike, and don’t like it that much - spacing too big between the cruising gears, and I’ve never used the 32 and 34 cogs out back (paired with a 50-34 compact up front). The biggest hill within 20 miles of me is about 1mile at 7%, and I can chug up that in 34-30 (Or even 34-28) just fine. Considering switching out the 11-34 for a 11-30 to get some of the tight gear spacing back, given that I don’t expect to miss the bottom end a whole lot,

The bike I keep at my sister’s house in the Bay Area has a 12-27 paired with a 52-42-32 triple, and I’ve run both ends of the cassette and all three rings out there. On some 10% or steeper grades, definitely wish for another gear.

So really depends on what terrain you’re riding, and what preferences you have. Another option would be to do the derailleur and chain swap, and have a (lightweight) rear wheel with the 11-34 on it for hill days, and an aero rear wheel with the 11-30 for flats days... but I’m excessive like that.
Depending on your usual cruising speed spectrum the 11-30 might actually be worse than the 11-34 (!). In the 12 - 23 mph range the 11-34 has one more gear to choose from than the 11-30, 7 vs 6, and the 11-34 has an additional low gear that can be reached from the big ring. The 11-34 is missing the 14 and that may be an annoyance if you are often riding at a brisk pace. At my usual speeds id pick the 11-34 and live with the missing 14, that is only occasionally missed.

Bicycle Gear Calculator

Last edited by Racing Dan; 08-01-20 at 01:15 AM.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 08-15-20, 03:24 AM
Jimmydolittle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joearch
I ordered a a Bianchi Infinito CV Ultegra Disc and it comes with 11-30 cassette. My current bike is a 11-34. I have mostly been doing relatively flat rides and am in the 11-17 range. I was thinking The Infinito might get me into climbing some. Not sure and wonder what to do. LBS who is a Bianchi dealer said they can do the switch to 11-34 which is changing cassette, chain and rear derailleur for $199. Apparently a fair number of folks make that switch. I am 64, getting back into riding the last 4 months doing 20-35 mile rides 4-5 days a week. Suggestions?

thx
my Giant contend came with a 34-11 on and 34-50 crank. I have used the lowest gear 34 / 34 a couple of times, but TBH the second gear, or third standing would do.

I find I spend most of my time in gears 13-15 (9 speed casette). I have just switched to a 30-11 castette. This has effect of providing an extra gear higher up with closer spacing, which I find is more useful to my riding.

just had to buy 2 tools, really simple to swap.

I have some decent mountains within reach, so I can always swap back for such rides.
Old 08-18-20, 10:03 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmydolittle
my Giant contend came with a 34-11 on and 34-50 crank. I have used the lowest gear 34 / 34 a couple of times, but TBH the second gear, or third standing would do.

I find I spend most of my time in gears 13-15 (9 speed casette). I have just switched to a 30-11 castette. This has effect of providing an extra gear higher up with closer spacing, which I find is more useful to my riding.

just had to buy 2 tools, really simple to swap.

I have some decent mountains within reach, so I can always swap back for such rides.
i have been very happy with the switch. Like the lowest bear when needed and feel good with the range in high hears so far. Can switch back in the future if I no longer need the 34.
Likes For Joearch:
Old 08-19-20, 12:24 AM
Jimmydolittle

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
1) Presumably you're already on a compact crank or smaller? Have you thought of switching to a 46-30, which would give you the same 1/1 low gear as a 50-34/11-34?
2) Are there any climbs around you where you need a 34? If you're in the 11-17 range most of the time, it doesn't sound like you need anything bigger than a 30.

1. Yes compact 50-34 crank. Not thought about changing (yet)

2. I have some hills were I don’t need the 34. Within a 10 mile ride I can be into Wales which has more significant elevation. Not ventured here yet. Remains to be seen!!!
Old 08-19-20, 08:37 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Unless you are 150 lbs and already a solid climber, in the SoCal area, it is always a benefit to have a 34:34 possibility when you hit extended grades of 8+% for several miles. $200 is a bargain to make the switch.
I will echo that sentiment! I live in Santa Barbara, am pretty fit, and at 50 years of age really appreciate that range of gearing.