Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can This Drop-out and Frame Be Saved?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 09:06 PM
Flying G

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3, 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa, 1978 Michal Johnson, 1972 Lambert Professional Grand Prix, 1983 Vitus (resto project), 1972 Raleigh Professional (resto)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Someone shipped me a bike that wasn't packed well and I noticed that the right rear drop-out was bent inward on itself and is slightly off-center (see photo below). Obviously, it is impossible to mount the rear wheel with this damage. It is a Campy drop-out on a Gitane Super Corsa from the early 1970s. I measured the gap in the other undamaged drop-out (9.3mm) and the damaged drop-out is bent to a gap of 6mm.

Is the alloy in a vintage Campy so brittle that a repair likely to result in more damage? Is this truly repairable? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

You can see how the drop-out is bent toward itself. The adjuster set screw is also bent.
Old 02-02-21, 10:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Besides the poor packing the der cage inner plate is upside down.

I would have little concerns about doing this repair, straightening the drop out. Sure it could break but having done quite a number over the years and never breaking one I'm comfy going forward. Of course before I would do this I'd have to have "that talk" with the owner just in case... First thing i would do is to try removing the adjuster screw. And it's this screw that might be the casualty. It might not want to turn any longer and it might get worse during the straightening. Do know that I wouldn't want to try chasing the threads for it in the drop out. I have broken off a tap in a drop out before, only once and that was enough.

Given the bike I would suggest seeking someone who knows what's going on and has experience with this stuff. It's easy to go too far or get too hasty.

BTW I had a 1973 Gitane Super Corsa, white and a 21" (bought it slightly used in 1974). A really nice riding bike and my first mostly Campy kit. It's one of the handful I would like to get back, I sold it not knowing what I do now. Andy
Old 02-02-21, 10:20 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
best done gently with a prybar of some form and a dropout alignment gauge, this is one of those jobs that is easy if you have the right tools and shouldn't really be done if you don't. Basically you pry the dropout open, the last time I did it I actually used an oak board to prevent extra damage to the frame but a decent, blunt ended pry bar will work. You're only opening enough to be able to slip the alignment gauge in so regular test fitting should be done. Once the gauge is in start tightening it down and if the dropout isn't flat use an adjustable wrench to get it where it should be, then align the dropout. A decent shop should be able to do this and the steel should hold up fine.
Old 02-02-21, 10:22 PM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
better to ship with the rear wheel on, saves the stays and the hanger, most of the time,

maybe just a little heat, not much, like a hot air gun from a foot out to simulate the hottest day in death valley which is around 130.
Old 02-02-21, 11:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
better to ship with the rear wheel on, saves the stays and the hanger, most of the time,

maybe just a little heat, not much, like a hot air gun from a foot out to simulate the hottest day in death valley which is around 130.

No. Don't use heat. And 130* wouldn't do more then keep your hands warm in a cold shop anyway. Andy
Old 02-03-21, 08:13 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Yes, it should be fixable. Campagnolo dropouts were forged from relatively mild steel, so they would be malleable to allow bending into alignment. I'd slip a wrench handle into the slot to lever it open, then check alignment with "H" tools or equivalent. Chrome may crack, but also check that the dropout itself is not cracked. Failure at the adjuster bolt hole is the most common problem, but is not inevitable.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-03-21, 10:13 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
A pair of Fox wedges could be used to open up the drop-out.
Old 02-03-21, 10:29 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Done by some one with the right tools, it should be no problem at all.
Old 02-03-21, 10:38 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to straighten that and align. But... I would make sure the shipper and or customer is fully aware that there is a chance of the dropout cracking and make a mutually agreed upon solution if it should get damaged in the process BEFORE proceeding with the straightening.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-03-21, 10:02 PM
Flying G

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3, 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa, 1978 Michal Johnson, 1972 Lambert Professional Grand Prix, 1983 Vitus (resto project), 1972 Raleigh Professional (resto)

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Thanks everyone for the recommendations and the confidence to go forward with the repair. The LBS has the green light to proceed and I'm optimistic that the drop-out and adjusters will be fixed.

Completely agree with keeping the rear wheel attached when shipping, if possible. We've shipped our own bikes from coast to coast and to Europe and back multiple times with no major damage to frames or components. We have also seen first hand how the luggage handlers at airports move bike bags/cases around - remember the Samsonite Gorilla? I'm sure that FedEx and UPS probably aren't that much different.

Will post the results when known. Thanks again!
Old 02-04-21, 02:19 AM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
this is winter time so i would do it indoors if you live in a cold climate.

the Titanic sank because the rivets sheared due to the metal being near freezing from the cold Atlantic.

same with a lot of Liberty Ships.

google ductility vs temp for steel in order to see graphs showing boundary conditions,

type of steel and grain orientation will be a factor.

thick plate steel is sometimes heated to 200 to 300 degrees while bending in order to avoid shearing.
Old 02-04-21, 02:37 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 79 Posts
I once bent a Campy hanger much worse than that when my chain went over the largest cog while coasting downhill at about 25mph+. While I had to get more creative to return it to its original shape before setting the hanger alighment with an alighnment guide the final product rode exactly as it had before. A few hunderd miles later and I've had no issues with it.

Last edited by Nwvlvtnr; 02-04-21 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-04-21, 02:48 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
better to ship with the rear wheel on.
Or a scrapped hub.
Or a spacer made from some nuts and a threaded rod.
Likes For dabac: