Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.2

Old 05-05-21, 10:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Second Pfizer jab is tomorrow morning. Not making any plans for Friday.
Old 05-05-21, 10:08 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8811 Post(s)
Liked 2,936 Times in 1,717 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I've ridden near bears. Four that I can think of off the top of my head.
I do my best to avoid bears. It is a subset of my operating system in the survival instinct folder.
Old 05-05-21, 10:09 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Originally Posted by DougRNS
I do my best to avoid bears. It is a subset of my operating system in the survival instinct folder.
It may serve me well to avoid obtuse white mice too.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 05-05-21, 10:17 AM
indyfabz

Make that 6. Only once did I go in search of. The others were totally by chance. Two were in New Jersey of all places.
Old 05-05-21, 11:01 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Same. I don't know how many. Cades Cove is the place to go if you want to see bears from a proper road.

I know a guy who collided with a bear while descending on the Foothills Parkway. He was knocked unconscious and got a couple broken bones.
that password picture I posted was from a IT expert argue with that person not me.
He isn't the one posting here, telling me I should change my passwords to ilikebikes
Old 05-05-21, 11:15 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Velo Vol

I know a guy who collided with a bear while descending on the Foothills Parkway. He was knocked unconscious and got a couple broken bones.
One ambled across the road as I was heading back to camp in Glacier National Park. Fortunately, I was on a flatter part of the road and the thing was about 50' in front of me.

Despite having inferior (i.e., not-disc) bakes, I managed to stop in plenty of time.
Old 05-05-21, 11:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,853 Times in 6,070 Posts

He isn't the one posting here, telling me I should change my passwords to ilikebikes
If you think that's what was suggested, you completely missed the point.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-05-21, 11:52 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,853 Times in 6,070 Posts
First ride on tubulars last night. They largely felt like, you know, TIRES. Could be the fact that I'd left the pumped up to 140 after mounting. After 4 miles - one on glass-smooth asphalt, which felt nice, but was followed by 3 miles of "textured', which really, really DIDN'T feel ince - I reduced pressure F&R by a single *pfft* each. That helped a lot. Next time I'mma go with the SRAM calculator's suggestion of 105/110, since these are 22mm tires, and I'm still 200 lbs.

The front brake seems to 'bite' better on the new rims, feeling more like actual brakes than a device for slightly reducing speed by the application of a lot of force. Good enough for more serious riding.

The changes in gearing also made a big difference - from 52/43 to 52/40 at the front and 13-23 to 13-26 at the back. Much more manageable up a couple 6%+ pitches.

Not sold on the Dyna Drive toeclip pedals combined with tennis shoes, so last night I swapped them for adapters and a pair of first generation Ultegra clipless, which are really just Looks, so my cleats work on them. I'll see how that works on today's ride.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-05-21, 11:53 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I hiked next to a bear cub, about 10 feet away. I quickly reversed direction when I thought the cute baby might have a mom nearby.
Old 05-05-21, 12:32 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

People here don't get it.
Old 05-05-21, 12:33 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
I hiked next to a bear cub, about 10 feet away. I quickly reversed direction when I thought the cute baby might have a mom nearby.
In 2018 I took a bike tour from St. Albans, VT home to Philly, with a weekend stop in W. Mass for my 35th high school reunion. Near the end of the trip I was camping in a state forest in NJ that borders the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. As I was riding back to my site from the bathhouse a young cub came up the river bank and walked across the campground road maybe 20' in front of me. Clearly had been born that winter/spring. Fully expected so see mom next, but she never materialized. Hope the poor thing was not orphaned.

In 2017 I came face to face with a giant one at about 30' in NW PA as I was about put on my helmet and switch on my lights to leave camp. It had raided the dumpsters earlier in the morning. Fortunately, both of us were not looking for a fight, but what a way to start a morning of cycling. I guesstimate he was at leas 600 lbs. We grow 'em big in PA.
Old 05-05-21, 12:53 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 05-05-21, 01:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
We never tracked our kids' phones, although we know lots of people who do. We just instilled a healthy sense of fear in them so they would not do anything they were not supposed to do. They knew they were in for a serious beat down if they did anything we didn't approve of.
I'm not so much him that concerns us.

Like the time we found an empty bottle of whisky (rot gut stuff too) in our daughter's car right before HS graduation. She not only lost the car for a period of time, but also was grounded during all the graduation festivities.

Her excuse was that it was her friends' bottle, and she didn't know that they couldn't drink in her car while she was the DD. Never mind that she was a minor in possession, had open liquor in the car, and anything over -0- constitutes driving under the influence if you are a minor. I printed out every Texas driving and drinking law known to mankind, made her study them, and then gave her a test. Told her that I wasn't buying her excuses, and in any event, she could never use them with me again. I think she still resents me for that.
Pffft - tough ****. That's some pretty dumb stuff to pull.

We have some friends who track their adult (30 and 36) year old kids' phones, which we don't understand. The rationale is that the parent pay for the phones so they have the right to do so. We also don't understand why they pay for their adult kids' phones.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
That wasn't available when my daughter needed tracking. First phones didn't have GPS and then it was too much of a power suck to run. However, she lets me track her now because she knows how much I miss her and I find it comforting. Pathetic, no?
Awwww
Old 05-05-21, 01:28 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by bampilot06
Weather update: Raining in Knoxville.
And chilly. Got my car heater running again.
Old 05-05-21, 01:39 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
On the ride today, there was a short stretch on a MUP through a wooded park. Saw a girl walking her dog ahead of me, going in the same direction (her back to me). As I approached, her dog was wandering to the left side of the path, so I announced my approach and impending pass. The dog wandered back to the right side on its own accord, but girl still didn't seem to be aware of my approach, so I announced again, more loudly. Still nothing. Announce one more time, just before passing - still nothing from the girl, and I could now see that she was wearing headphones, but now the idiot dog lunges at me.

I reacted, naturally, swerving and yelling something along the lines of "control your dog!", but the girl's takeaway was obviously different, as her reaction was to call *me* a ****er.
Old 05-05-21, 01:47 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I reacted, naturally, swerving and yelling something along the lines of "control your dog!", but the girl's takeaway was obviously different, as her reaction was to call *me* a ****er.
Dog walkers are the worst.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 05-05-21, 01:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,053 Times in 3,808 Posts
On the ride today, there was a short stretch on a MUP through a wooded park. Saw a girl walking her dog ahead of me, going in the same direction (her back to me). As I approached, her dog was wandering to the left side of the path, so I announced my approach and impending pass. The dog wandered back to the right side on its own accord, but girl still didn't seem to be aware of my approach, so I announced again, more loudly. Still nothing. Announce one more time, just before passing - still nothing from the girl, and I could now see that she was wearing headphones, but now the idiot dog lunges at me.

Been there. You can't fix stupid, but you can ride away and tell people on the internet about it.
Old 05-05-21, 01:51 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3349 Post(s)
Liked 3,604 Times in 1,239 Posts
Oof.

​​​​​​

I got taken up over Paris Mountain this afternoon by my boss. I would have really liked a 30 or a 32 in the back so I wasn't mashing so much.

I had to stop twice. The first was about halfway up in an attempt to keep my heart rate under control, but that proved futile since it just keeps getting steeper towards the top. It was also much warmer than I'm used to riding in and it got pretty stifling at points.

I blew up about 50 yards away from the end of the climb - maybe I could have made it if I knew that the end was so close. Turns out my max heart rate is at least 198bpm

The descent sure was fun though!
Likes For abshipp:
Old 05-05-21, 01:59 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by abshipp
​​​​​​
I got taken up over Paris Mountain this afternoon by my boss. I would have really liked a 30 or a 32 in the back so I wasn't mashing so much.
Welcome to real cycling. Kudos.
Old 05-05-21, 02:12 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
First ride on tubulars last night. They largely felt like, you know, TIRES. Could be the fact that I'd left the pumped up to 140 after mounting. After 4 miles - one on glass-smooth asphalt, which felt nice, but was followed by 3 miles of "textured', which really, really DIDN'T feel ince - I reduced pressure F&R by a single *pfft* each. That helped a lot. Next time I'mma go with the SRAM calculator's suggestion of 105/110, since these are 22mm tires, and I'm still 200 lbs.

The front brake seems to 'bite' better on the new rims, feeling more like actual brakes than a device for slightly reducing speed by the application of a lot of force. Good enough for more serious riding.

The changes in gearing also made a big difference - from 52/43 to 52/40 at the front and 13-23 to 13-26 at the back. Much more manageable up a couple 6%+ pitches.

Not sold on the Dyna Drive toeclip pedals combined with tennis shoes, so last night I swapped them for adapters and a pair of first generation Ultegra clipless, which are really just Looks, so my cleats work on them. I'll see how that works on today's ride.
Try them on the Cannondale. I also was unimpressed, until I put them on my PDG Paramount--a very stiff frame. I love them on that bike.

Old 05-05-21, 02:16 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
And chilly. Got my car heater running again.
I have never used my car heater. I don't even know if it has one.

Old 05-05-21, 02:21 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3349 Post(s)
Liked 3,604 Times in 1,239 Posts
Welcome to real cycling. Kudos.
It feels weird to be so tired from only riding for an hour.
Old 05-05-21, 02:36 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
I'm not so much him that concerns us.

If I were doing it over again today, I'd track their phones. So much has changed in the last 10-12 years.

PS, she doesn't really resent me anymore.
Old 05-05-21, 02:38 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts

Dog lunges. You find it necessary to fire some Halt! at it. Too bad your aim is not all that good.

Last edited by Mojo31; 05-05-21 at 02:57 PM.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 05-05-21, 02:46 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I have never used my car heater. I don't even know if it has one.
I've had mine on since October. There's been days when I turned the fan off, but the temperature dial has been pointed at red the last seven months.
Originally Posted by abshipp
It feels weird to be so tired from only riding for an hour.
I've never actually been in Greenville (just drove by on I-26), but I imagine the cycling there is substantially similar there as here, being that it's basically on the other side of the mountains.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.