Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cino MMXXI

Old 07-04-21, 02:18 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
I can't make it...

I know where I will be the week before and the week after, and it's too far and it's too expensive for me to go this year. I am going to make it to this, hopefully next year.
Old 07-06-21, 05:04 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
I'm thinking we're going to need a Bike Forums C&V group shot at some point during the weekend, with all the folks here that are attending.
Old 07-06-21, 08:57 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
I'm thinking we're going to need a Bike Forums C&V group shot at some point during the weekend, with all the folks here that are attending.
Yep!
Old 07-06-21, 10:59 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 966 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
I’m overwhelmed with the response from the C&V crowd, it’s very humbling. I’m looking forward to seeing many of you again and meeting people for the first time. Maybe we need a BF stamp for the race numbers.
Old 07-07-21, 06:54 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
I’m overwhelmed with the response from the C&V crowd, it’s very humbling. I’m looking forward to seeing many of you again and meeting people for the first time. Maybe we need a BF stamp for the race numbers.
That’s a great idea. We could also Sharpie our screen names on the race number plates, would make it easier to ID each other as we come across BF members on the ride.
Old 07-07-21, 08:02 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
It is an easy train ride from Fargo, so I had planned on riding this year, but life has sadly gotten in the way... I start a new job in a week and I am not sure what my role will be. Then the family all decided to gather in Fargo(WHAT!!!???) for Labor day. Then Rosh Ha Shanna just after Labor Day, so there goes any thought of getting out of work for another day. Sigh!

But that also gives me another year to get the Peugeot ready to ride. Then I saw what people are actually riding. Maybe my circa 1980 Ritchey MTB with the blasphemous disk brakes added. Steel, pre-1987, and flat pedals? I could probably even dig up the original friction shifters from the box -o- junk. Put some 26" balloon tires on it and...

Hopefully 2022 will work.
Old 07-10-21, 12:46 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be in this year.
So Andy_K , are you in?
Old 07-15-21, 11:07 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 3,772 Times in 664 Posts
Food question

mountaindave Will there be gluten free food options at Pranza and the Awards dinner? Asking for a friend...
Old 07-15-21, 01:06 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by northbend
mountaindave Will there be gluten free food options at Pranza and the Awards dinner? Asking for a friend...
Lessee, lots of gluten free beer choices, I think all wines are gluten free, so your friend should be fine.
Old 07-15-21, 06:06 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

ummmm, if you don’t eat it, it’s gluten free…
Old 07-19-21, 03:22 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts
Camping and Riding Recommendations?

My wife and I will be taking a 3-week camping road trip on our way to Cino. We have a Tacoma camper which will accommodate my Cino bike and our off topic tandem. We would greatly appreciate any recommendations of places to camp with good riding in the area. My wife's limit on the tandem is 35 to 40 miles and 2,000' of climbing. We like gravel and pavement (and singletrack so long as it's not too rocky and rooty.)

Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon? The only riding we've ever done in the area was on the trail of the Hiawatha and on the trail of the Couer d' Alenes.

@mountaindave has suggested a great looking ride near Kalispell. Anyone else?

Thanks,
Brent
Old 07-19-21, 05:50 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound so crass in the last comment.

The dinner will be more gluten free. There will be pulled pork, beans, salad, it should be fine. And we should have some pure meat/cheese options without bread at pranza.

Last edited by mountaindave; 07-20-21 at 11:02 PM.
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 07-19-21, 08:34 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by obrentharris

My wife and I will be taking a 3-week camping road trip on our way to Cino. We have a Tacoma camper which will accommodate my Cino bike and our off topic tandem. We would greatly appreciate any recommendations of places to camp with good riding in the area. My wife's limit on the tandem is 35 to 40 miles and 2,000' of climbing. We like gravel and pavement (and singletrack so long as it's not too rocky and rooty.)

Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon? The only riding we've ever done in the area was on the trail of the Hiawatha and on the trail of the Couer d' Alenes.

Thanks,
Brent
Eastern Oregon, stay in Sisters, ride up McKenzie Pass - it's a relatively short and easy ride up to the pass, and it's really unique and interesting. There's a campsite ouside of town that @northbend and I stayed out when we did this under a full moon.

Eastern Washington, ask @scozim for highlights Yakima Canyon is pretty cool. Riding in the Palouse is a giant, seemingly never ending wheatfield.

edit: come through Portland for an Atelier visit!

Last edited by gugie; 07-19-21 at 09:07 PM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 07-19-21, 10:13 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Eastern Oregon, stay in Sisters, ride up McKenzie Pass - it's a relatively short and easy ride up to the pass, and it's really unique and interesting. There's a campsite ouside of town that @northbend and I stayed out when we did this under a full moon.

Eastern Washington, ask @scozim for highlights Yakima Canyon is pretty cool. Riding in the Palouse is a giant, seemingly never ending wheatfield.

edit: come through Portland for an Atelier visit!
The Yakima River Canyon is always a nice ride. There's a KOA campground in Ellensburg and you can actually ride north to Cle Elum or south to the dam in the canyon and back. I would drive to the beginning of the canyon on Hwy 821 and park there if you are going south. It's easy enough from the KOA to go north to Hwy 10.

The Palouse is my favorite - but I grew up there. Lots of gravel and paved roads. Steptoe Butte that we rode in the Tour de Palouse a few years back is awesome for the views (even if you don't ride up it).

Spokane has the Centennial trail which can get busy in places but is a nice flat ride.

I would look at Mapmyride in the areas you're going to be at and see what's there for routes.

Old 07-20-21, 06:08 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 3,772 Times in 664 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris

Thanks,
Brent
Wyoming! Get thee to Jackson: Bike paths all the way from Jackson to Jenny Lake, some great hiking in the Grand Tetons from there and the cycling from there alongside Jackson Lake is stunning. It may be hard to snag a campsite at Jenny Lake but Coulter Bay has a big campground. Both are great places to stay.

Jenny Lake road:

Some really perky Tietons by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Try not to stub a toe as you hike around Jenny Lake. The views are quite distracting.

Walk around Jenny by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Coulter Bay:

Coulter Bay by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Jackson Lake:

Jackson Lake by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Likes For northbend:
Old 07-20-21, 03:52 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts
@gugie, @scozim, @northbendthanks for all the recommendations! I shall spend an enjoyable few evenings researching all these places.
Brent
Old 07-22-21, 04:43 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Well the most important part of prep is done....I got my custom jersey (https://www.owayo.com/) that has my bike forum name and a tribute to my Montana Home town on it

so that leaves, rebuiild the kk pro pedals, put the new toe straps on and because as they say on the Cino site
  • Not so strong: Triple chainrings, 32 tooth freewheels will be welcome at one time or another.
rebuild cassette to a 32 low, swap out the durace 39/53 for a 30-42-52 105, deore rear and rx100 front deraillers.....and then start training like heck

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-22-21, 05:33 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Well the most important part of prep is done....I got my custom jersey (https://www.owayo.com/) that has my bike forum name and a tribute to my Montana Home town on it

so that leaves, rebuiild the kk pro pedals, put the new toe straps on and because as they say on the Cino site
  • Not so strong: Triple chainrings, 32 tooth freewheels will be welcome at one time or another.
rebuild cassette to a 32 low, swap out the durace 39/53 for a 30-42-52 105, deore rear and rx100 front deraillers.....and then start training like heck
It'll be great to see you again! Many opportunities to share beer at Cino...
Old 07-22-21, 05:57 PM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 138 Posts
Beer, did someone mention there will be beer at Cino? I signed up to suffer and consume bacon and bourbon, too many carbs in beer...and not wheat whiskey, thats not gluten free!
Old 07-23-21, 09:54 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by VRJAKE
Beer, did someone mention there will be beer at Cino? I signed up to suffer and consume bacon and bourbon, too many carbs in beer...and not wheat whiskey, thats not gluten free!
I'm sure we can hook you up with pure grain alcohol for your hydration needs.
Old 07-23-21, 11:57 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

The Cino abides.
Old 07-23-21, 11:58 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Considering it is Cino, it should probably be Grappa also gluten free

Old 07-23-21, 07:23 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Considering it is Cino, it should probably be Grappa also gluten free
Or a negroni.
Old 07-23-21, 10:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Choke
Or a negroni.
Sweet vermouth has carbs. @VRJAKE is driving a hard bargain. Just stick a funnel in his mouth and pour iced vodka down his gullet at the top of 9 mile hill.
Old 07-24-21, 03:57 PM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 138 Posts
Sweet vermouth has carbs. @VRJAKE is driving a hard bargain. Just stick a funnel in his mouth and pour iced vodka down his gullet at the top of 9 mile hill.
Hey, careful there, I don't like to reveal my performance enhancing hydration secrets...

Decided to drive from PDX, probably do a stay over in Coeur d' Alene. Any suggestions on the sights or eats to do in town?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.