Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1988 Miyata 1200 or 1990 Schwinn 684?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-21, 12:28 PM
ODBuffalo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, new to the forum and looking to get into biking a little more but nothing too crazy, yet. I like the older bikes from the 80s-90s and have found these 2 bikes in the $250-350 range.

I know the Miyata is a steel frame with the white Shimano Salsa components and the Schwinn 684 is aluminum with 105 groupset.
Is one better than the other, hold its value more, or is it all subjective to the individual and preference of what type of frame you prefer?

Any thoughts Id appreciate it. Both are all original.

Thanks
Old 08-04-21, 12:32 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I think the SHimano component group on the Miyata was called 'Santé' (SONN tay). I think it was a quality level similar to Ultegra. Very nice stuff.

I would go with the Miyata. The Schwinn was likely an early mediocre aluminum frame out of Taiwan (someone correct me if I am wrong, pls), while the Miyata is an example of the very high-quality Japanese made bikes of the time.
Old 08-04-21, 12:34 PM
ODBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Clyde, you are correct about the Sante, not Salsa.
My wife was making salsa when I was typing the post, must of been on my mind.
Old 08-04-21, 12:35 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
2/2

I may be wrong about the source of the aluminum on the Schwinn. Hopefully somebody can provide info who known more than me.

Just realized, the Schwinn may have a weird seatpost arrangement that uses an expander built into the post rather than a clamp built into the frame. These were problematic and impossible to find spares if (when?) they failed.
Old 08-04-21, 12:43 PM
ODBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a little research on the Schwinn and no one could confirm where the frame was made. Some say it was designed by Gary Fisher and built in Greenville, Mississippi?
Old 08-04-21, 01:45 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Have a Mod move the thread to the C & V section. You'll get a lot of answers there.
Old 08-04-21, 02:12 PM
ODBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks seypat, how do I contact a moderator?
Old 08-04-21, 03:22 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Condition is everything.

Can you inspect each bike in person before making a decision? I think of these two, the Miyata sounds like a nicer bike. But if you find it's kind of rough and the Schwinn is really tidy, that would be enough to sway my decision. How much work are you willing to do (or how much money can you spend) if you find you really like one of these bikes, but it needs some repairs or adjustments? I'd caution against discounting one for something really simple, like the condition of its tires, seat, or handlebar tape. These items are not expensive or difficult to replace, and they can make a big difference. But the frame, fork, wheels, and components are to varying degrees more difficult to repair or replace, so you should give more scrutiny to them.

Of course all this should follow a more critical question: Do both bikes fit you well? If one feels perfect under you and the other is off by more than a tiny bit, get the one that fits. If they both feel okay, go back to considering their condition. If either of them is way off and you plan to just deal with it, DON'T. Fit is very important. Seat height can be adjusted easily. Handlebar height is also easy to adjust (within a pretty narrow range) on bikes of that vintage, because they'll probably have quill stems. The reach from seat to handlebar is quite important, and it is NOT easily adjusted.

You sometimes have to go with your gut, once you've had a look at the bikes in person. If you get a bike that you don't like much, even because of something as silly as its color, you will not want to ride, and that would be unfortunate. Sometimes a person just really likes (or dislikes) the Schwinn name, or Miyata. Having a bike that appeals to you on a personal, emotional level is no minor point.
Old 08-04-21, 05:42 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,781 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Have a Mod move the thread to the C & V section. You'll get a lot of answers there.
Next time just report the thread and ask us to move it.

Thread moved to C&V.

Old 08-04-21, 06:16 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by ODBuffalo
I did a little research on the Schwinn and no one could confirm where the frame was made. Some say it was designed by Gary Fisher and built in Greenville, Mississippi?
No it was based on a Gary Klein design. Schwinn paid Klein a royalty and then once Klein lost his suit with Cannondale, the floodgates opened on TiG welded aluminum frames. If it has the weird quill seat post, that can be a PITA. Regardless, I'd pick a Miyata 1200 over the Schwinn any day of the week. Splined, triple butted cromoly tubing versus aluminum? No brainer.

The first aluminum Schwinn was the Ontare. Typical Klein paint scheme, beautiful bike, quill seat post. The later versions Schwinn gave up the beautiful paint scheme, and were basically single color.

Miyata will hold its value better and the Sante group is basically between 600 and Dura Ace, but is sensitive to cosmetic wear.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 08-05-21, 10:51 AM
ODBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone, Im heading out to look at the 684 I will let you know how it is.
Old 08-05-21, 12:05 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by ODBuffalo
Thanks everyone, Im heading out to look at the 684 I will let you know how it is.
Turn around and get the miyata.
Old 08-05-21, 12:57 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Miyata all the way (course i am a Miyata fan) looked up the schwinn and it does have the internal wedge seatpost thing....not a good thing

Old 08-05-21, 01:36 PM
ODBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the 684 is in close to new condition. A quick look at it and it has one chip in the paint, very minimal wear anywhere. All original except for the seat and set of new tubules tires. Looks like it was hardly ridden.
I will set up a time to see the Miyata and keep you posted.

If i had 10 posts Id upload a few photos. Thanks
Old 08-05-21, 01:48 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
I have a 684 and it's a surprisingly good ride. Not too worried about the whole seatpost thing. There are several work arounds that a little google will bring up. One is an external, dual sized clamp which I bought, "just in case".

I'm actually in the process of reworking mine to add 7 speed STI type shifters and some other upgrades.

Old 08-05-21, 02:14 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
As long as they both fit, it's all subjective. Some folks will like the light weight and stiffness that you get from aluminum. A lot of us in this subforum are all in on steel bikes. If you are just looking for a good roadie, both would be good bikes IMO. As a rule of thumb steel is more comfortable, though some aluminum rides nice and some steel is stiff (not sure about these bikes) and the components and tire selection/size would make a big difference.
Likes For tricky:
Old 08-05-21, 09:00 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
If the Sante groupset on the Miyata is complete and the finish is intact, it's worth considerably more than 300 bucks. It's great-working stuff, worth keeping if you want to or if it's looking a little tatty. (The white and silver finish doesn't wear well under hard use, hence the ludicrous prices of nice Sante parts.)

Frame-wise, both are quite nice in their very different ways. I prefer steel to oversized aluminum, because I don't like really stiff bikes. But others do, and they're not wrong. (Unless they claim that stiffer frames transfer power more efficiently... then they're wrong.)

Go by fit and feel. If it's a draw, the Miyata is the better deal.

--Shannon