Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Powertap SL+ hub question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-20, 10:41 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

This has languished in electronics section, so trying it here...

I'm looking at setting up a PM for 2nd bike, & to check values of the crank-based on main bike.

Running 10 speed, tubular.

So does the SL+ hub work with Garmin/ Wahoo or not?

Online store: "With the flexibility of ANT+ Sport, all Plus-series PowerTaps can be paired with any ANT+Sport device. ANT+ guarantees seamless digital wireless communication, long battery life and communication reliability."

Ebay seller: "The CycleOps Powertap SL+ hub is an great solution for those craving more metrics on their rides and training plans. The PowerTap SL 2.4+ is completely wrieless, and displays power, torque, speed, cadence and heart rate to an external head unit. Is not compatible with Garmin or Wahoo GPS computers. WIll only work with the CycleOps PowerTap Head Unit."

ANT+ site seems to say yes.

Wiggle: With the flexibility of ANT+Sport, all Plus-series PowerTaps can be paired with any ANT+Sport device. So, either use the PowerTap CPU or other ANT+Sport compatible device.

Thanks
Old 06-09-20, 10:44 PM
woodcraft

~100 views, no feedback.
Old 06-10-20, 07:45 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
~100 views, no feedback.
It's supposed to work, but there probably aren't many people here that still use that hub.
Old 06-10-20, 09:13 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
The PT SL+ hub was the revision to make sure it worked with standard ANT+ devices. The "+" is essential: the non-plus SL model would work ONLY with Power Tap's own head unit. Make sure it's a "+" model.

The SL+ was a 2nd generation model. The current PT hubs are 3rd gen, and have better bearings than the G2. You can often find used G3 models pretty cheap--in January, a guy I know bought a used G3 hub mounted in a 28-spoke rim (okay but not great, and needed a little truing) with a still usable tire for $225. It was local so we were able to check it out to verify that it was working.

Last edited by RChung; 06-10-20 at 09:22 AM.
Likes For RChung:
Old 06-10-20, 09:37 AM
woodcraft

Thanks!
Old 06-10-20, 10:07 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by RChung
The PT SL+ hub was the revision to make sure it worked with standard ANT+ devices. The "+" is essential: the non-plus SL model would work ONLY with Power Tap's own head unit. Make sure it's a "+" model.

The SL+ was a 2nd generation model. The current PT hubs are 3rd gen, and have better bearings than the G2. You can often find used G3 models pretty cheap--in January, a guy I know bought a used G3 hub mounted in a 28-spoke rim (okay but not great, and needed a little truing) with a still usable tire for $225. It was local so we were able to check it out to verify that it was working.
This leads me to believe that the item in question is not an SL+, because the seller says it won't work with a Garmin or Wahoo.
Old 06-10-20, 10:20 AM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by noodle soup
This leads me to believe that the item in question is not an SL+, because the seller says it won't work with a Garmin or Wahoo.

This is the listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HED-Stinger...YAAOSw~6BexECF
Old 06-10-20, 10:36 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Looks good to me, and I would trust RChung assessment. It should work with your Garmin.
Old 06-10-20, 10:41 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I've had a PowerTap G3 hub since 2015, and it now has about 16,000 miles on it. It's always been used in all types of weather and conditions. It connects to my Garmin 520 via BlueTooth flawlessly, as well as my previous Garmin 800, and it still gets about 1,500 miles per coin cell battery. Highly recommend.
Old 07-30-21, 08:50 AM
pjcampbell
fair weather cyclist

Bikes: Colnago c50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I know this is oooooooooooold but the SL+ had to be updated to support ANT+. If it was never updated, I believe you now no longer have the option to update it because the update tools are now all gone/off the market. Is this correct?
Old 07-30-21, 09:07 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by pjcampbell
I know this is oooooooooooold but the SL+ had to be updated to support ANT+. If it was never updated, I believe you now no longer have the option to update it because the update tools are now all gone/off the market. Is this correct?
the + in SL+ (or Pro+ or SLC+) specifically was for ANT+. The update was if you wanted Bluetooth (more recent update) or if you had an SL (or SLC or 2.4 or Pro) that you wanted to use ANT+ with (older update). I have an SL+ hub that wasn't updated that I used with my garmin 800, garmin 1000 and ANT+ antenna on Zwift for year (until I was hit by a car in May and it finally got killed).
Old 07-30-21, 09:15 AM
pjcampbell
fair weather cyclist

Bikes: Colnago c50

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
the + in SL+ (or Pro+ or SLC+) specifically was for ANT+. The update was if you wanted Bluetooth (more recent update) or if you had an SL (or SLC or 2.4 or Pro) that you wanted to use ANT+ with (older update). I have an SL+ hub that wasn't updated that I used with my garmin 800, garmin 1000 and ANT+ antenna on Zwift for year (until I was hit by a car in May and it finally got killed).
Ahhh ok thanks. I doubled checked and what I have are "2.4" , pretty old stuff. I remember when the ant+ upgrade dongle was available, and I never jumped on it. Do I have any options? I still have the old yellow bike computers (wireless) but not actually sure the newer PowerAgent software will download anything off of them. I'm trying now. I've been on a (very) long hiatus from cycling!!!
Old 07-30-21, 09:25 AM
himespau 

I don't think you have any options at this point other than using the yellow computer or finding a "+" hub and swapping it in your wheel. I ended up deciding to make the expensive switch to pedal-based when I saw that I have few options now with my broken hub and will have fewer and fewer options as time goes buy if I bought a new one and it failed down the road. Expensive bummer because it means 2 purchases - new wheel AND new powermeter. You, at least, can continue to ride your powertap wheel as a regular wheel if you want to buy a new ANT+ or bluetooth compatible powermeter. Or you could go with a used powertap wheel - that's still the cheapest way to get into power.
Old 07-30-21, 09:45 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I use an SL+ hub with both Garmin and Wahoo computers 5 days a week. It works fine.

Old 03-24-22, 05:14 AM
uffa

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yellow CPU not detecting hub

Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
I use an SL+ hub with both Garmin and Wahoo computers 5 days a week. It works fine.
Hi!
I'm getting crazy... My Garmin Edge can detect the hub but my yellow powertap head unit cannot... It is a wireless version, it searches for the hub and cannot find.... Any hint?
Old 03-24-22, 05:29 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by uffa
Hi!
I'm getting crazy... My Garmin Edge can detect the hub but my yellow powertap head unit cannot... It is a wireless version, it searches for the hub and cannot find.... Any hint?
It has been awhile so I’m not sure if it was all Powertap Cervo— the yellow computer head unit— but certainly most Cervos were not ANT+ compatible, as Powertap had their own comm protocol. I think ANT+ came to Powertap head units with the Joule, the grayish-brown unit with yellow button pad. You’ve obviously got an ANT+ Powertap hub if Edge sees it, so it’s just that your Cervo is incompatible.
Old 03-24-22, 06:20 AM
himespau 

I think there were a few of the yellow ones a the very end of the run that could detect Ant+ (could be wrong, it might be that they were just mislabeled by the sellers or I misread the advertisements), but almost all of them could only detect the wireless hubs labeled 2.4 or Comp, Pro, SL, or SLC without the + after it.
Likes For himespau:
Old 03-25-22, 06:04 AM
uffa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it should be compatible - it should communicate using Powertap protocol instead of ANT+.. The hub is SL+ while the yellow unit does not have the "WIRED" stamp on its side and it clearly searches for something, its version is 6. I found something about "Learn" in setup menu #5, I'lll try this. I tried to manually enter the device id but in vain..
Old 03-25-22, 09:35 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by uffa
I think it should be compatible - it should communicate using Powertap protocol instead of ANT+..
Only if the SL+ is old enough to still have the original Powertap comm protocol. I’m sure the SL+ model continued into the Powertap ANT+ only era; the PT/ANT+ Sport period, where both were on board the SL+, was quite short as I recall.

Anyway, good luck.
Old 03-28-22, 07:55 AM
uffa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi! I solved it! In Setup Section #5 of the yellow unit there is the "Learn" function. It is used to detect new hubs and other new peripherals, I mean: the unit stores the ID of peripherals and, if you use a new hub, its ID does not match the stored ID and the "autodetect" at start may not find it. With the "Learn" function the new ID is detected and stored. Or, at least, this is what I understood. Anyway, it worked :-)
The SL+ hub
Thanks for your interest and advicing :-)
Likes For uffa: