Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2014 Domane compared to a 2020.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2014 Domane compared to a 2020.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-20, 12:00 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I like my 2018 Domane well enough. My only gripe is weight. Compared to my Madone, it is slightly sluggish to get going.
Old 11-02-20, 09:05 PM
2Wheelforfun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any solution to loud rear hub noise?

I am seriously considering a 2021 Domane SLR7, but the noise issue really concerns me. I like as quiet of a ride as possible. I actually wear ear plugs as it is, due to hyperacusis.

Any ideas on a remedy for this noise? If I decide to go with a Domane, I would most likely go to Waterloo and do a Project One - perhaps they would find a way to build a quieter Domane!!

Thanks
Old 11-02-20, 09:38 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Wheelforfun
I am seriously considering a 2021 Domane SLR7, but the noise issue really concerns me. I like as quiet of a ride as possible. I actually wear ear plugs as it is, due to hyperacusis.

Any ideas on a remedy for this noise? If I decide to go with a Domane, I would most likely go to Waterloo and do a Project One - perhaps they would find a way to build a quieter Domane!!

Thanks
Noise**********? Can you please explain. I just got a P1 Domane SLR7 and the only noise I have is the tires rolling on the road.

Edit: oh wait, are you talking about the hub noise? Well you dont hear that if you keep pedaling . MY understanding is you can remove a few pawls to reduce the noise.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 11-02-20 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-02-20, 10:05 PM
2Wheelforfun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks jaxgtr,

Good idea there!

Was your P1 thru your LBS, or did you actually go to Wisconsin? I am not worried if the wait is as long as some are saying. Seems like the 'rona is hitting that state pretty hard right now. Hope I can get up there soon and start the process.

What about your Domane? How did you spec it?
Old 11-02-20, 10:33 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

SLR7, Di2, Pro 3V wheels. I love the Viper Red, and my Emonda is in the same color, so I went with it again. I order through the LBS as I live in Florida. When I was looking at each part, found the tires were a delay point, 85 days, so I just ordered what they had in stock and picked up a set of the 32s R3 brown sidewalls online. Reduced the lead time to 3 days and I took the bike home in 10 days.

One thing I did find in my case that I order the Verse Elite Saddle in 145 width and I like the saddle, but just a bit wide for me. I have been riding the Specialized Ronin in 143 for many years, and did not think the 145 would be a problem. It just did not work. One of the LBS staff had a 135 version that he let me borrow and I found that way more comfortable, so I have that on order to replace the 145.

Oh one other thing. I went down a size to a 52. I generally ride a 54, but found the geometry for the 54 would have been a little long on the top tube. The 52 fits me like a glove. I generally use a short stem as I have short arms, but my torso and legs are pretty standard for 5'10.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 11-21-20 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-02-20, 10:41 PM
2Wheelforfun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hardly any wait at all.

I guessed JAX would be Florida. I am in the next large city south of you in PSL, but spend more time in Las Vegas so plan to have it ordered at factory and then assembled at the closest Trek Dealer only 1 mile away.
Old 11-02-20, 11:05 PM
jaxgtr

PSL, assuming is Port St. Lucie? You can order them at any Trek dealer and have it delivered to whatever dealer you want, so there is that. You don't have to go to Wisconsin. It's nice though to deal with someone you are familiar with. Been a while since I've been down that way, Port St. Lucie used to just be a gas station of the turnpike . I grew up in Lake Worth and used to drive up to Sebastian to go surfing every so often.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 11-02-20 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-03-20, 06:05 AM
2Wheelforfun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Even today, if you take 95 or the turnpike, you never see any of PSL, although it is the largest city north of Ft Lauderdale until you reach Jacksonville.

Very flexible policy at Trek with their option of speaking to one dealer, but using another for delivery. Thanks for the info.

On my way to vote!
Old 11-04-20, 05:39 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts

Thanks
Funny this issue came up today when I was at the Trek Store. While shopping for new wheels the manager said he owns the Bontrager Aeolus PRO 3V wheel set and his only complaint was they were loud. He wants to replace them with Aeolus RSL 37V as it has the DT 240 rear hub which is quieter. For some people like yourself, noise matters. Though the hub is heavy you could consider the Onyx Vesper hub because it is silent. Built for mountain bikes but comes in 24 hole. I have ridden this hub and it truly is silent, a little unnerving at first when you expect some noise.

Good luck with your build.
Old 11-04-20, 06:33 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Funny this issue came up today when I was at the Trek Store. While shopping for new wheels the manager said he owns the Bontrager Aeolus PRO 3V wheel set and his only complaint was they were loud. He wants to replace them with Aeolus RSL 37V as it has the DT 240 rear hub which is quieter.
Truth! My Domane came with the PRO 3V wheels and my only complaint is the buzz-saw in the center of the rear wheel... I'm not a fan of loud freewheels I have a second set of custom built wheels for the bike that have the new DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs and they are much, much quieter. Other than that, I think the PRO 3V is a great wheelset.

The Bontrager hub on the PRO 3V is likely manufactured by DT Swiss. Therefore, I can swap between the 3Vs and my custom wheels with no disc or cassette alignment issues.
Old 11-04-20, 06:51 PM
2Wheelforfun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Buzz saw? The issue has been elevated to the next level 🤔

Had a call with Trek yesterday and now waiting to hear about a rough timeline on a new order.
Old 11-04-20, 07:00 PM
jaxgtr

These hubs are built by DT Swiss, and I love the engagement speed, 106 points or something like that, but would not mind if they were just a little less volume.....from the hub.

Old 11-10-20, 05:45 PM
2Wheelforfun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Delivery in June

Ordered my Domane SLR7 this morning.

Hope they can move up that delivery time.
Old 11-10-20, 06:11 PM
jaxgtr

Ordered my Domane SLR7 this morning.

Hope they can move up that delivery time.
excellent. what kind of wait time did they give you.

Old 11-10-20, 07:02 PM
2Wheelforfun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jax,

If I had ordered any other color I could have it in about 2 months. But I NEED lithium gray!! That means June.

Sales fella said they had a special order Madone that came much earlier than expected.

Project One would not be possible just to have that color, as it is just for custom paint schemes, or at least that was info from the LBS.
Old 11-10-20, 07:13 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Jax,

If I had ordered any other color I could have it in about 2 months. But I NEED lithium gray!! That means June.

Sales fella said they had a special order Madone that came much earlier than expected.

Project One would not be possible just to have that color, as it is just for custom paint schemes, or at least that was info from the LBS.
Although I don't know if they have something equivalent to lithium gray in project one, they do have a ton of colors. Unfortunately, some colors have an upcharge. I got my Project One SLR7 in late September in about 28 days.
Old 11-10-20, 07:25 PM
2Wheelforfun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am OK if it takes that long. Maybe it will get here sooner. In the interim I won't have any problem putting in some miles on my trusty Scott.

Save a few bucks by going with stock color.
Likes For 2Wheelforfun:
Old 11-10-20, 08:08 PM
jaxgtr

Jax,

Interesting....You can get the stock colors in P1 process though, but that is cool if you are good with it.

Old 11-10-20, 09:26 PM
2Wheelforfun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have had fone and email communications with a Trek rep, I guess I could call him my ad hoc liaison. He is aware of my order today. We've already agreed to talk some more tomorrow. Might help to have his insight - directly from Wisconsin.
Old 11-11-20, 11:39 AM
jaxgtr

Have had fone and email communications with a Trek rep, I guess I could call him my ad hoc liaison. He is aware of my order today. We've already agreed to talk some more tomorrow. Might help to have his insight - directly from Wisconsin.
make sure you walk through each part, the tires were the delay for me, so I just changed the tires to something else and picked up the tires I wanted online. Reduced the time from 85 days to 3.

Old 11-11-20, 02:58 PM
2Wheelforfun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, something close to the Lithium Gray stock colors are available with Project One. I decided not to do Project One, for substantial savings on total cost of the bike. Trek called me this morning and gave me a thorough explanation.